Abby's Guide to Vacuum Cleaners
Username Password
Home Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Vacuum Cleaners > Discussions > Halo casts its "bread" upon the waters . . .

Vacuum Cleaners Discussions

Search For:
Venson

Halo casts its "bread" upon the waters . . .
Original Message   Oct 26, 2007 1:46 pm
Howdy all,

Per a New York Times story,  Halo ( http://www.gethalo.com ), the upright vacuum with the bug and germ killing UV light, as of last week has committed to a 20 million dollar advertising push over the next year in behalf of the new UV-ST model.  This is a little less than half of what Hoover shells out in the same time window.  The Halo UV-ST -- a fan-in-dirt- stream upright -- is priced at $499. 

The interesting part of the effort is that this may well be merely word play. Phil Smith who is president of BooneOakley, the firm devising the add campaign, states that, "Any vacuum, by Dyson, Hoover, Bissell, can't kill germs while it vacuums.  We're not going after any maker or model.  We don't see any competition."  An ambitious approach but to the best of my knowledge, though UV technology is used for disinfecting water and for sterilization, Halo has not put forth bona fide test results as to how well its product actually works in regard to rug cleaning or disinfecting.

Here's the link to the story but please note that you may have to apply for a free subscription to view it -- http://www.nytimes.com/2007/10/26/business/media/26adco.html    Interested consumers may also call 866-638-4256 and request an owners manual.

Best,

Venson

This message was modified Oct 26, 2007 by Venson
Replies: 44 - 53 of 63Next page of topicsPreviousNextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
DysonInventsBig

Re: Halo casts its "bread" upon the waters . . .
Reply #44   Jul 7, 2008 10:25 pm
CarmineD

Reply #45   Jul 8, 2008 7:32 am
Hey DIB:

Thanks DIB.  Proves the point I made.  NAD/FTC is raising the bar and enforcing higher advertising standards on claims made by vacuum makers.  Even against each other.  Let alone a consumer[s].

Carmine D.

This message was modified Jul 8, 2008 by CarmineD
mole

Reply #46   Jul 8, 2008 9:50 am
CarmineD wrote:
Hey DIB:

Thanks DIB.  Proves the point I made.  NAD/FTC is raising the bar and enforcing higher advertising standards on claims made by vacuum makers.  Even against each other.  Let alone a consumer[s].

Carmine D.

OH NO, they are actually forcing these wanna-be lets make a quick buck,FEARMONGERS , WERE HERE TO SAVE YOUR LIFE,AND MAKE YOU SAFER,advertise as James would say PROPERLY.

THESE ARE THE GUYS AT THE TOP OF THE FAKE AND MISLEADING [CLAIMS] they are going to be exposed and rightfully so.BUT THE BAG WAS HOPELESSLY CLOGGED,,SHOULD OF SAID AFTER A POUND AND A HALF OF PLASTER DUST.................

MOLE

CarmineD

Reply #47   Jul 8, 2008 12:41 pm
Hello MOLE Man:

Unchallenged claims pave the way for others to imitate and follow, including halo.  [You go ORECK].  FTC/NAD can't let these bogus claims go on without action.  Why?  Because the claims get consecutively unrealistic and unbelievable.  Each company trying to top the one before.

BTW, the CEO of halo Mr. Garcia is paying for a new study to prove that regular use of the halo is beneficial to asthma and allergy sufferers vice using all the other uprights on the market.  The key word is "paid."  Tell me what you want, and I'll give it to you.  Here's the invoice for my services.  Thank you very much.  Call me if you need me again.  Halo is trying to push the liability on a third party.  Won't work.  Halo is liable for the claims regardless of who does the studies for it.  As long as halo pays the bill for it.

Carmine D.

Venson

Reply #48   Jul 31, 2008 1:15 am
Hmm . . . if dust mite's could read . . .

I just happened to check out Costco's website a few minutes ago.  That bug slaying/germ zapping UV marvel of a device, Halo, is being offered for a remarkable $179.00.   I wonder what that says. 

As in "Would a rose by any other name smell as sweet," "Would a vacuum at any other price below the substantial 500-buck price tag it started out with look like less of a rip-off.  As i mulled that over, the next logical question obviously appeared to be, "Is Halo going to go belly up?  And the next logical step was to of course take a gander at the company website -- http://www.gethalo.com

There is basically nothing there except a link if you need to buy bags and a video of a "news" feature that I did not stop to view.  Wonder if they were able to pay off the many millions they claimed to have committed to for their launch campaign.  as always, you live . . . you learn. 

Venson

CarmineD

Reply #49   Jul 31, 2008 6:48 am
Hi Venson:

It didn't succeed on a variety of fronts.  It's marketing strategy [scare tactics about germs and health] is not amenable to most US consumers.  It's claim that it was the only vacuum that killed germs was exaggerated and proven false by medical and scientific research [you posted the data].  In a complaint lodged by BISSELL against halo with the FTC, saying the claim was false, BISSELL won.  Halo was told to cease and desist.  The price of $499 with a $50/more kick back to the retailer/seller was too pricey, vice other big box store vacuums, for a basic vacuum with a UV-C light added.  Especially as a chinese made vacuum with a one year warranty.

The CEO of halo, Mr. Garcia, is taking new tact with his $499 UV-C upright:  That it's better for allergy and asthma users if used regularly.  Sounds like retreat and regroup.  Garcia commissioned a study to develop findings and results to support the latest claim.  Haven't heard the results yet.  I can only imagine. 

Throw in a bad US economy for consumer goods with falling retail sales of high priced specialty items, high gas and high food prices, the housing and mortgage crises, and halo was destined to die a natural death.  It's a goner save a niche vacuum in specialty stores for germaphobes. 

$179 sounds about right for the halo price.  I suggest Garcia take another route with halo.  Scrub the UV-C light altogether.  Change the name, market as a lightweight bagged upright with excellent filtration, and tools on board, for less than $200.  He'll sell them all.

MOLE, you called this one right early on.

Carmine D.

This message was modified Jul 31, 2008 by CarmineD
mole

Reply #50   Jul 31, 2008 7:35 am
CarmineD wrote:
Hi Venson:

$179 sounds about right for the halo price.  I suggest Garcia take another route with halo.  Scrub the UV-C light altogether.  Change the name, market as a lightweight bagged upright with excellent filtration, and tools on board, for less than $200.  He'll sell them all.

MOLE, you called this one right early on.

Carmine D.

Hi Venson,And Carmine

You ought to be charging for your information, This is MAYBE a cleaner worth 179.00, Trust me its still profitable for both HALO and the box stores.

The problem that comes to the forefront is, When a consumer is TAGGED for 500.00 plus for a vacuum that only lasts maybe 3 or 4 years before MAJOR parts breakage and service thats almost extinct, it really turns them away from spending the price for a cleaner thats 500.00 and up again,And you know i really cant blame them.Like you say get me once shame on you get me twice shame on me,
No matter what you say or do you are not going to change their minds,

After getting burnt [you can fill in your brand here] they figure that the cleaners are all the same and the industry as a whole is a sham . Please start something for fair and honest marketing and forget about corporate greed and all for me and the heck with you,

Sincerely

THE-MOLE
Venson

Reply #51   Jul 31, 2008 8:14 am
mole wrote:

After getting burnt [you can fill in your brand here] they figure that the cleaners are all the same and the industry as a whole is a sham . Please start something for fair and honest marketing and forget about corporate greed and all for me and the heck with you,

Sincerely

THE-MOLE

Hi Mole,

"Fair" being a key word here, it couldn't have been said better.

Thanks,

Venson

CarmineD

Reply #52   Jul 31, 2008 4:36 pm
Ken Garcia and his halo should have went the lightweight upright route first for $200 and transitioned into the retailers with a solid winner.  Halo then could have added the UV-C light and upped the ante.  Halo would still be a viable, on-going concern and flourishing.  Instead halo is probably a goner:  Fool me once, shame on you, fool me twice shame on me.

So much for one of the prognostications here that said "HALO is going to sell a ton of these things" due to the fancy schmancy web site.  Consumers know a con when they see/hear it regardless of the media venue. 

Here lies halo, may it RIP.

Carmine D.

This message was modified Jul 31, 2008 by CarmineD
Severus

If my vacuum can remove even one spec of dirt that yours misses, then mine is better than yours - even if there's no proof that mine would have picked up as much dirt as yours...

Reply #53   Aug 5, 2008 10:24 am
Halo is now selling at costco.com for $180 with shipping. 

http://www.costco.com/Browse/Product.aspx?Prodid=11299638

The smart tyrant writes his own story to ensure that it is favorable.  The lazy will repeat lines from the book without fact checking. 
Replies: 44 - 53 of 63Next page of topicsPreviousNextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
Vacuum Cleaners Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42