Home Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Vacuum Cleaners > Discussions > Dyson Dishwasher patent

Vacuum Cleaners Discussions

Search For:
M00seUK

Dyson Dishwasher patent
Original Message   Oct 19, 2007 1:07 pm
http://v3.espacenet.com/textdoc?DB=EPODOC&IDX=GB2437079&F=0

Interesting.... In summary, this is a patent for a dishwasher that has a unit inside of it which creates it's own environmentally friendly wash detergent.
All the user needs to do is to top it up every now and then with common household salt

Sounds like a good proposition. Perhaps it'll be on the market in the near future?
This message was modified Oct 19, 2007 by M00seUK
Replies: 1 - 5 of 5View as Outline
DysonInventsBig

no subject
Reply #1   Oct 19, 2007 5:16 pm
This message was modified Oct 23, 2007 by DysonInventsBig

Venson

Re: Dyson Dishwasher patent
Reply #2   Oct 19, 2007 6:33 pm
Hi guys,

This is not news.  Per the following link, this idea goes back about five years.  In this story the idea was a Japanese made machine that combined use of metal salts in tandem wth ultrasonics, yet another old axe yet to be swung in the market place.

http://www.appliancemagazine.com/new_products.php?article=4445&zone=204&first=1

I'd also wonder if the idea caught on what the cost of such machines would rise to or what the buck you pay for a bottle of peroxide at the local drug store would escalate to.  As far as the energy aspect goes, I recently bought an eighteen-inch Bosch diswasher at an unbelievably high price for a machine of its size and not remarkable capability thinking I might save some money on energy as it uses an inline device to heat water instead of the usual exposed calrod element. The thinking or rather the pitch was that hotter water, come the last rinse cycle, will up the temperature of your dishes and they'll dry on their own without aid of a heating element or fan.  LOL .  Why didn't I see that one coming? I got so caught up in the hype that I forgot the good old days -- once your machine's ready to go into the dry cycle just open the door.  That costs no money at all and is totally "green" as you can get -- unless you do your dishes by hand.

Nonetheless, good diswashers now do use less water and have different approaches to drying -- standard exposed heating elements, forced air, super-heated rinse cycles, etc.  Bosch is now seeking a patent for ultrasonic aid in dish drying to lessen the energy use factor.

By the way, remember this?  http://www.treehugger.com/files/2004/12/unsw_rockpool_w.php

Venson

This message was modified Oct 19, 2007 by Venson
DysonInventsBig

no subject
Reply #3   Oct 19, 2007 10:00 pm
This message was modified Oct 23, 2007 by DysonInventsBig

Venson

Reply #4   Oct 20, 2007 1:25 am
Hey DIB,

I know all about "keeping your name out there" but would humbly submit that Sir Dyson would best be served by keeping quiet until he actually breaks out the next working product.  Reminds me of the Clintons, "We'regonna do . .  . and then we're gonna do . . . and after that we're gonna do . . ."  And just how much did they do other than jump on -- and off -- a lot of band wagons?

Mechanized dishwashing needs practical, workable solutions. In this day that would mean feasible efficiency as regards energy, natural resources and reduction of labor.  To my recall, Jamey still has a clothes washer under his belt that is still in need of a a trip back to the drawing board. 

As well, I would beg that you not buy either too heavily or too quickly into the idea of our intelligence or ability when it comes to sterilization.  Surgical instruments are de-germed in pressurized steamers -- autoclaves -- that produce heat far beyond that which might be easily or safely produced in machines intended for use in the usual commercial or domestic evnrions.  In our arsenal of chemical wonders most not only kill bacteria but us too.

We need other answers and careful thought applied in the progress of their forming.  If we had the right answers we might not, while in the midst of the AIDS crisis, be beginning to hear of new problems like MRSA which is now claimed to be afflicting about 19 out of every 100.000 of us while still on the increase.  Man's biggest problem is that we often believe we have the ability to solve everything -- until we're presented with sad surprises of our limits.  Smart guys with a little bit of money quite often divert our attention from that.

Respectfully,

Venson

This message was modified Oct 20, 2007 by Venson
M00seUK

Reply #5   Oct 20, 2007 10:27 am

Well, to be fair Dyson haven't announced this product, as per their usual policy of not mentioning new products in development until they're ready to hit the market.

The proposed dishwasher doesn't require hydrogen peroxide, it makes it internally from the pre-salted tap water.

As with Airblade, in patents the devil is in the detail. Other manufacturers already have hand driers of a similar form factor. Dyson hope to improve on the efficiency based on 1) Dyson Digital Motor 2) Outlet design 3) No need for drainage (some others have a drawer which needs to periodically empted of waste water or plumbed in).

Look at the dishwasher patent - it goes in to detail about the properties of hydrogen peroxide, it's short effective chemical life and how a system could be developed to ensure a supply is available each time a wash is required.

Initially, I did wonder if a dishwasher using hydrogen perioxide could be as effective as the detergents on the market. It's no good bring an expensive new product to market if it's not as good as the competition, even if it doesn't use water. However, the patent write up goes on to mention that the use of hydrogen perioxide is *particularly* good at cleaning glassware.

To mention that Dyson have other dishwasher patents, including one that details using a highly efficient motor (DDM?) to create a pressure vacuum to aid the dry cycle, so that metalware is cool to touch straight after the cycle is complete.

Venson, thanks for the links. Presumably the Sharp method is an improvement on the Dyson method as is it is ready to go at a moment's notice?

The ultrasonic dishwasher that requires no water sounds very interesting. But I wonder how well it does glassware?

As to if Dyson ever launch a dishwasher, it's impossible to say. They might have played around with the technology, evaluated the competition and decided to leave it for the time being.

But like all R&D projects, spin off uses can come to the fore. The Dishwasher patent mentions that a hydrogen perioxide producing unit could be used as part of a handwash dispenser. This would give Dyson another string to their bow in washroom equipment supply. The airblade being environmentally friendly in replacing paper towel / hot air driers and a washroom hand sanitizer that doesn't need to be replenished and the residue that breaks down in to a harmless substance.

Replies: 1 - 5 of 5View as Outline
Vacuum Cleaners Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42