no subject
Original Message   Sep 26, 2007 10:39 am
This message was modified Oct 23, 2007 by DysonInventsBig

Replies: 1 - 8 of 8View as Outline
Venson

Re: James Dyson, Inventor: Dyson Digital Motor / DDM pics here
Reply #1   Sep 26, 2007 12:37 pm
 Hi DIB,

Whatever he does he should definitely pursue the devolopment of this motor.  An electric motor that has strength but smaller size would be revolutionary in that it would allow benefits in the design of not just vacuum cleaners but many appliances.  However, speaking vacuums at the moment, a smaller motor might mean more bag space in bagged canisters and clean-air uprights plus a decrease in overall machine weight.  All manner of possibilities could develop out of a change in motor design. He could make a mint just off licensing to other manufacturers.

As for the Dyson vacuum moving forward and upward as far as its cleaning scores go, I was watching a program about Alberto Santos-Dumont last night. He was a leader in French aviation history for a good while during the early 1900's.  One of his better points was that he was not stuck to one particular design or idea where getting off the ground was concerned. Being "without religion" in regard to design he went from perfecting the derrigible to making "kite planes" the most well-known of which I think was his 16-B.  I have noticed no remarkable change in Dyson design.  Yeah, I know -- they made a skinny upright and they finally put an electric power nozzle on the canister.  But what I don't get is when a $60 Hoover scores better than your own $500 to $600 electrical doo-dad -- and I'm sure Dyson keeps tabs on all consumer periodicals -- wouldn't it be time to seriously re-think your game plan as something is obviously missing?

Personally, as far as aesthetics go, I think the Dyson machines could use a facelift.  I also think they could be a bit more user friendly.  I know vacuum cleaners backward and forward but am dumbfounded come time to use the upright's hose and attachments.  Switching to attachments on any vacuum should be nearly a no-brainer.  A friend who's a hotel maid here in New York and who after 25 years put in many a mile behind vacuums was absolutely lost when she pulled her married daughter's Dyson out of the closet.  As for the woosy rug cleaning scores, all that's needed is a re-design of the brush roll.  Dyson is not the first vacuum to have this problem.  The famed Kirby for years didn't get great scores for rug cleaning.  Why?  Basically because the machine's brush roll had only one strip of bristles on each half of the brush roll.  As expensive as these machines were, and with everryone raving about the much cheaper Hoover Convertible, I have no idea why the company appeared satisfied to rest on legendary laurels.  Fortunately, Kirby and also Royal changed their brush roll designs and are now almost a benchmark when it comes to thoroughness on carpeting.

Mr.  Dyson only needs to send some of his staff back to the drawing board for a hot ten minutes and the problem would probably be solved.  Why he's hesitated -- who knows?

Best,

Venson

This message was modified Sep 26, 2007 by Venson
DysonInventsBig

no subject
Reply #2   Sep 26, 2007 2:45 pm

M00seUK

Reply #3   Sep 26, 2007 2:46 pm
Thanks for the photos, DIB. It's the first time I've seen a 'real' photo of the DDM.

The wand / hose on the Dyson is certainly in need of improvement. Did anyone else notice something in one of the videos links here recently, of James Dyson as a speaker at a university?
In one of them, while on stage giving the presentation, even he was unable to retract the wand, so he just left it sitting there for the remainder!
DysonInventsBig

no subject
Reply #4   Sep 26, 2007 4:02 pm

DC18

Dyson, Sebo and Bissell user

Reply #5   Sep 27, 2007 3:26 am
Hello DIB

Nice pictures of the DDM, thanks for posting them on here! Like M00seUK says it's the first time I've seen actual pictures of the DDM!  I knew it was small but looking at your pictures you posted of it in James Dyson's hand it's smaller than I thought!  I know he has said in some of though lectures that there are already working on version 2 and 3 of this motor!  I think one of the things he said they are looking at is shrinking the electronics further on it!!  How small can it get!?

The DDM will open many doors for James and his team, I know Car Manufacturers would like to use this motor in cars for the air con fan etc..  I personally think at the moment he should keep it to his own products for now just to stay ahead of the game!

I know some people find the Dyson hose hard to use removing it and returning it to the machine on the Dyson uprights, but I find them easier and quicker to use!  There is no unraveling at the back with the hose like some UK uprights then you have to attach an extension hose.  With Dyson you press one button or pull on the hose (DC17 and DC18) to remove it from the machine!  Yes it could be a bit more fluid on his upright machines but generally it's fine.

As for the brush roll!  When Dyson first launched his DC01 in the UK that had triple row of brushes (although the turfs where not close together) it was very effective! From the DC03 upwards Dyson has gone for these light weight thin brush rolls with 2 row of brushes in his uprights (unless it's the models that can only be used for Carpet - mainly UK models), until the DC15, DC17 and DC18.  The brush roll is an big area for improvement and the DC15, DC17 and DC18 is a step in the right direction.  I think he needs to put the turfs closer together in each row.

Thanks again DIB for posting though DDM pictures!

DC18

Venson

Reply #6   Sep 27, 2007 1:50 pm
Hi DIB,

My favorite example of weird and wild is the Hoover "Z".  (I have one and use it  at my office.)  First look it appears quite complicated but really isn't.  Straight of the box you're up and runnoing in no time.  It's worst points are weight and not too great placement of its exhaust.  Albeit also a bit extravagant featurewise (but I love the electronic height adjustment), never had a moment's problem in setting it up and getting to work straight out of the box. Unfortunately, this was another manufacturing wonder not meant to be long in this world.

I still maintain that Dyson should start looking for a brand new stick -- some new design ideas and a step toward more user-friendlness.  I be less adamant if we were talking of a vacuum in the $200-250 range.  Considering the usual price, issues mentioned shoud have been seen to a good while ago.

Best,

Venson

DysonInventsBig

no subject
Reply #7   Sep 28, 2007 5:18 pm

DysonInventsBig

no subject
Reply #8   Oct 11, 2007 2:54 pm

Replies: 1 - 8 of 8View as Outline
Vacuum Cleaners Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42