Abby's Guide to Vacuum Cleaners
Username Password
Home Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Vacuum Cleaners > Discussions > DC15 The Ball v DC18 Slim v 'Next Dyson Upright'!

Vacuum Cleaners Discussions

Search For:
DC18

Dyson, Sebo and Bissell user

DC15 The Ball v DC18 Slim v 'Next Dyson Upright'!
Original Message   Sep 14, 2007 5:45 pm
Many see the DC18 Slim as a successor to the DC15 The Ball, although the DC18 is lighter to move the DC15 glides I feel glides and steers better due to the metal soleplate and bigger ball setup.  The ball needs to be slighter bigger on the DC18 to improve the steering.  Is the 'ball' concept the way forward for Dyson!?  Yes and No.  Yes it has changed the way Dyson Upright cleaners are used.  Not if they want to address the issues Customers still have in that they are to bulky to clean under low furniture and under beds etc...  The DC18 Slim addresses some of that by moving the dirt path hose into the centre unlike the DC15 and with a slim body you are able to clean under kitchen cupboards and skirting without knocking the radiators!  One of the things I've noticed on both models is the cleaning head is not as flexible as previous models - I mean the 2 point pivot head and soleplate like the DC07 and DC14 have. 

With the DDM to be introduced into the Dyson Upright range lighter powerful cleaners seems to be the 'in' thing at present!?  The DC18 Slim is one of the best Uprights I believe Dyson has launched to date!  The DC07 in the UK being the most powerful they have produced to date!  Where is the next upright from Dyson going to fit into the ever growing range!?

Will it feature the DDM or a new cyclone system different to the Level 3 in the US!?

This message was modified Sep 14, 2007 by DC18
Replies: 1 - 5 of 5View as Outline
DysonInventsBig

no subject
Reply #1   Sep 14, 2007 11:37 pm
This message was modified Oct 23, 2007 by DysonInventsBig

DysonInventsBig

no subject
Reply #2   Sep 15, 2007 12:09 am

DC18

Re: DC15 The Ball v DC18 Slim v 'Next Dyson Upright'!
Reply #3   Sep 17, 2007 5:07 pm
Hello DIB

Yes the size difference between the DC08/DC08TW/DC19/DC20 and DC21 to the DC12 is amazing.  I wonder how much smaller the DC05 to the DC12 is!?  Wish the DC12 would come to the UK sometime!

Although I like Dyson Canisters I'm not one for using them to clean carpet, I for one think Uprights with a brush bar does a far better job.  I normal canister head does not agitate the carpet and pick the pile up unlike uprights do! If I had hard floors everywhere then I would use a Dyson Canister, although I do own a DC05 for car cleaning!  Not everyone wants to be getting the hose out on an upright every time to clean under low furniture especially if you’re doing a quick clean around!!  Take the DC03 slimmer than the DC18 but not as powerful yet that would lie flat to go under beds or low furniture for deep down brush cleaning, quick and easy.  The DC18 is getting there the head can get into places other models can not but still too bulky.  Both Canister and Uprights are becoming similar to each other these days, yes canisters get under low furniture better and with the DC21 Motorhead offering brush bar cleaning!

The turbo nozzle on the DC12 is air driven, although Dyson has improved so much in the air driven nozzle for it's canister I still don't think they are effective as motor driven ones!  It does look like Dyson is going in the direction of using a 2 motor system for its uprights just looking at the DC15, DC17 and DC18 Slim which all use this principle!

Answer to your question how any upright could fit under a bed, you just have to look at the DC03 (UK) and other makes like Sebo X4 and Felix, the Felix like the DC15 and DC18 uses a separate motor for it's head making that flat so it can fit under low furniture, the X4 is very slim profile like the DC03 so laid flat can go right under low furniture.  Vacuums have become heavy and bulky and Dyson has the technology and know how to change this, you just have to look at the DDM and the DC12.  Slim bins have been used before just look at the DC03 and DC11 (Twin Root Cyclone bin).

Don't get me wrong I'm a very big Dyson follower but James Dyson needs to address these things, to push his technology forward solving more problems.  People want effective, powerful easy to use but light versatile vacuums. The DC18 is one of them but there is more to come!  Dyson launched this model to address such things as weight and bulky uprights so he knows there is an issue.  Again the DDM is another issue he is addressing. 

DC18

DysonInventsBig

no subject
Reply #4   Sep 18, 2007 2:24 am

DC18

Re: DC15 The Ball v DC18 Slim v 'Next Dyson Upright'!
Reply #5   Sep 22, 2007 12:11 pm
Hello DIB

DC05 Motohead, cool i do like that model I only own a basic DC05 canister.  The DC05 and DC21 Motorheads with their powered brush bars should be good on carpets!  Yes the filters on the Dual Cyclone models did tends to need changing regular or the later MEMA washable filters washing every 3 to 6 months!  The Root Cyclone filters better!

DC18

Replies: 1 - 5 of 5View as Outline
Vacuum Cleaners Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42