Abby's Guide to Vacuum Cleaners
Username Password
Home Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Vacuum Cleaners > Discussions > Extended Warranty Plans . . .

Vacuum Cleaners Discussions

Search For:
Venson

Extended Warranty Plans . . .
Original Message   Aug 10, 2007 10:23 pm
Hi again . . .

Attached is a link to a great article from CBS News.  This one asks if purchased extended warranty plans are really worth it.  It's an interesting read and I hope it will promote some discussion as well as prove informative for those of us who are planning to some shopping in the near future.

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2007/08/10/earlyshow/contributors/raymartin/main3156565.shtml

Yours truly,

Venson

Replies: 1 - 2 of 2View as Outline
vacman

Re: Extended Warranty Plans . . .
Reply #1   Aug 10, 2007 11:18 pm
i on,

The question to you is it worth it? Many independents re using extended warranty programs as  a tool to beat the BBS  (Big Box Store) and compete with companiesw that have longer warranties on their machines. Are they worth it? YES. Piece of mind fo rthe life of the warranty as long as I do what I 'm supposed to do . It is up to me and the one that supplies me with the extended warranty to know what I am to do.  BUYER BEWARE tho there are those that sell these warranties that don't  tell you anyhing about your warranty other than you bought  it.

Is this what you want Venson?

Vacman

Venson

Re: Extended Warranty Plans . . .
Reply #2   Aug 11, 2007 4:09 am
 Hi vacman,

Want I want first is reliable product at a reasonable price.  Then next I want a manufacturer as well as dealers that I can feel will responsibly stand behind the product that they're pushing. After that I want the moon on gold chain to hang round my neck.  What are my chances on getting my hands on any of it?  Pretty slim. 

I do buy extended warranties for my laptops as they're running just about 24/7 and also travel with me a lot and get thumped and bumped every now and then.  I've learned the hard way that out-of-warranty computer repair costs can be phenominal over time in comparison to the $300 to $400 dollars it may take to invest in a solid extended warranty to cover a few years use.  I also bought an extended warranty for an LG Korean-made refrigerator-freezer that I bought basically because, due to size and creature-comfort  features, it was a perfect fit for my very small cooking area.  The extended warranty purchased for the fridge was to hedge my bet because, though its external design was pure perfection, I knew nothing about LG fridge repair history.  The extended warranty is long over and I did not go looking to get another.  The refrigerator's fine -- and I'm fine too .

Anyway . . .

Because of space limitations, I recently bought an 18" Bosch dishwasher which cost me about as much as two or three perfectly serviceable larger 24" dishwashers of another brand would have. But we all know Bosch is just the greatest -- right? Well once the deal was sealed, as always, the sales guy got around to suggesting an extended warranty.  I flatly refused and made it quite clear that if with reasonable care this dishwasher develops problems before five to seven years down the line it will end up in junk yard somewhere and I will make it my personal business to dis Bosch wherever there's an ear to hear for as long as I shall live.  That said, I most emphatically do not buy extended warranties for vacuum cleaners and lesser household gadgets.

A well made vacuum, and I again make note -- "used with proper care" -- should survive a reasonable amount of years in a household without need of major repair.  What ever is my fault I'm prepared and willing to pay for.  As an instance, though the cost of the cleaner was minimal,  I have the Hoover Z I bought in use at the office.  I  was distracted for a second and unwittingly snagged the power cord on the brush roll.  No damage other than an abraded spot on the cord.  A little tape will fix that.  On the other ahand with the "if the least little thing goes wrong" extended warranty plans ala Best Buy, etc., should I take it back and demand replacement?  Some things just should last.  There should be absolutely no need to tag any more money on to a purchase than what's called for on the price tag.

It most unfortunately appears that no matter whom the dealer, independent or big-box emporium, they bear a belief that the streets are paved with gold and that all consumers have to do is just run outside and scoop it up and hand it over.  Trust me -- this ain't Heaven.  Thus I am not inclined in a friendly way to adding on twenty, thirty, forty or who knows how many dollars more on top of sales tax (8.375 percent here) to the price of an item I probably waited to catch a sale on.

I already advocate the purchase of used or rebuil;t vacuums of certain well-built and notable brands over the purchase of many over-priced new machines.  Point of mention, I have a cleaned-up 1205  in the house that's working like a dream merely with the add-on of the new high filtration Electrolux bags.  My exception to extended warranty purchases again would be for items like computers because we yet allow ourselve to buy into the mystery and BS of their makers or items like the big flat screen TVs not so much because of myth to weed through but because the horror stories I am hearing after just a few months of possession.

A hundred years ago I was working for someone and broke a very expensive piece of pottery.  Of course I immediately reported the matter.  Expecting to be fired,  I was given a surprise though I thought at first the response I got was a very snotty , " If you can't afford to have it broken -- don't buy it."  I'll be darned, the man was right.

Consumers have every right to reasonable expectations.  It's purely my opinion but vacuum cleaners -- no matter how much you got talked into paying -- and other everyday household appliances sould not warrant extra money to be shelled out for a warranty on top of a warranty.   If you do buy product that fails to deliver good service in an inordinate amount of time, toss it, do a little research for a better product -- and remember not to let yourself get bit by the same dog twice.

Regards,

Venson

This message was modified Aug 11, 2007 by Venson
Replies: 1 - 2 of 2View as Outline
Vacuum Cleaners Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42