Abby's Guide to Vacuum Cleaners
Username Password
Home Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Vacuum Cleaners > Discussions > Consumer Reports does a quick look at the Lightweight Dyson

Vacuum Cleaners Discussions

Search For:
Severus

If my vacuum can remove even one spec of dirt that yours misses, then mine is better than yours - even if there's no proof that mine would have picked up as much dirt as yours...

Consumer Reports does a quick look at the Lightweight Dyson
Original Message   Aug 5, 2007 9:26 pm
The current issue of Consumer Reports has a nice discussion on the virtues and vices of the lightweight Dyson.   It compares and contrasts its performance with other light weight vacuums by Hoover and Riccar.  Unfortunately, the article is not yet posted on the CR web site. 

Consumer Reports online is now allowing subscribers to add their own reviews on vacuums.    Many readers agree with CR's assessments, but some aren't very happy with their recommendations.  It is a must read for all CR.com readers.  

The smart tyrant writes his own story to ensure that it is favorable.  The lazy will repeat lines from the book without fact checking. 
Replies: 1 - 8 of 8View as Outline
Severus

If my vacuum can remove even one spec of dirt that yours misses, then mine is better than yours - even if there's no proof that mine would have picked up as much dirt as yours...

Re: Consumer Reports does a quick look at the Lightweight Dyson
Reply #1   Aug 6, 2007 12:08 pm
By the way, the October 2007 issue will have the full details.  The short note on the lightweight Dyson is on page 7 beside the Dark Chocolate report. 

The smart tyrant writes his own story to ensure that it is favorable.  The lazy will repeat lines from the book without fact checking. 
Venson

Reply #2   Aug 7, 2007 8:20 am
Hi Severus,

Thanks for the heads-up.  Can you expand on the article.  I'd like a better ideas of CR's thoughts on it.

Regards,

Venson

This message was modified Aug 7, 2007 by Venson
Moderator Mike_W

"There is no BEST or PERFECT vacuum cleaner"

"Take care of your vacuum, then your vacuum will take care of you"

Reply #3   Aug 8, 2007 12:53 pm
They tested the DC18 against the HOOVER Tempo and Riccar liteweight upright and found both removed more deep down dirt compared to the dyson.  The dyson did do better than the two at cleaning the floor though.
This message was modified Aug 8, 2007 by Mike_W
Severus

Reply #4   Aug 14, 2007 11:32 am
I don't know if the link will work, but try this:

http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/appliances/laundry-and-cleaning/vacuum-cleaners/dyson-slim-vac-9-07/overview/0709_dyson_ov.htm

I don't think you need to be a subscriber for it to work since its a sneak preview of next months full vacuum report.

Venson

Reply #5   Aug 14, 2007 1:45 pm
Hi Severus,

Thanks for the link.  It did work.

I'd say the article, for all intent and purpose, places the Slim Vac at about average.  It's ability to clean bare floors well is basically a non-issue as the machine is basically intended for carpet care.  I was glad to learn that the Empower provides a far more cost-effective alternate that also shows you may not always get what you think you're paying for.

Best,

Venson

Vacuuman

The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.

Reply #6   Aug 15, 2007 12:37 am
I played with the Slim a couple months ago when the Dyson red brought one into the store.  It seemed to clean decently, better than most of the pre-DC17 models.  And it was nice and light, not heavy and akward like the DC15 is.
DysonInventsBig

no subject
Reply #7   Aug 15, 2007 2:58 am
This message was modified Oct 23, 2007 by DysonInventsBig

vacomatic

Reply #8   Aug 21, 2007 8:33 pm
Seemed like a nice refined "big stick" vac, and in some ways like the Sebo Felix. 
The Dyson brush is a lot noiser than the Felixs', but the Dyson doesn't have the clogging bag problems Felix has.
Replies: 1 - 8 of 8View as Outline
Vacuum Cleaners Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42