Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > Summerizing Ariens 1024 Blower

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
Markman

Summerizing Ariens 1024 Blower
Original Message   Mar 19, 2005 7:36 am
I know this topic has probably been discussed a number of times, but I have looking for some specific advice on summerizing for my Ariens 10hp Tecumseh OHV.   This is a new machine and I want to avoid the yellow carb of my last Ariens.   The machine was used this winter and has about 1/4 tank of fuel left in it.   We are expecting some snow tommorrow, so I hope tommorrow is the last use of the season.   I use 87 octane and no sta-bil fuel.   My plan is to put a few drops of sta-bil fuel in the tank and let it run completely out of fuel and then store it for the summer.   I will add fuel in October, run it, change engine oil and gear oil and let it run it out of fuel again.   Then start using it around December.    I need a better plan.     Any advice would be appreciated. 

Ariens 1024 Pro, JD 160 Tractor, Lawnboy 10356, Husky 350 saw, echo wacker, craftman tiller
Replies: 4 - 7 of 7Next page of topicsPreviousAllView as Outline
Markman

Re: Summerizing Ariens 1024 Blower
Reply #4   Mar 19, 2005 1:10 pm
Thanks snow, knee, and nibbler,  these are all great ideas that I will keep a list of.    3 for 3 on changing the oil now means I will change it now.   I assume I should change the 80/90w gear oil also ?    Another topic --- Do any of you use sta-bil fuel ?   If so, how should I use it ?     I have a 2.5 gal and 5 gal gas cans.    I keep the 2.5 in my gargage and use in the winter for the blower and summer for the 21 inch mower.   I leave the 5 gal in my shed and use it for my lawn tractor or as a back-up.    Should I  use the sta-bil every time I fill the cans ?   or is it used only when you summerize or winterize ?    Thanks 

Ariens 1024 Pro, JD 160 Tractor, Lawnboy 10356, Husky 350 saw, echo wacker, craftman tiller
TheKneebiter

Reply #5   Mar 19, 2005 3:05 pm
no need to change the gear oil. just pull the plug and look to see if it drips out of the hole. if so you are ok, if not just add a touch untill it drips out. you can go for many many years on the original oil.

TomP

Once you go Mac you never go back!

Reply #6   Mar 19, 2005 7:50 pm
Markman wrote:
 Do any of you use sta-bil fuel ?   If so, how should I use it ?     I have a 2.5 gal and 5 gal gas cans.    I keep the 2.5 in my gargage and use in the winter for the blower and summer for the 21 inch mower.   I leave the 5 gal in my shed and use it for my lawn tractor or as a back-up.    Should I  use the sta-bil every time I fill the cans ?   or is it used only when you summerize or winterize ?    Thanks 
I have never used stabilizer during high use periods such as summer.  If you can use the gas in 30 days I don't think it needs to be stabilized.  During the winter or when your equipment will be idle for a period of time stabilizer is a good idea.  Sta-bil has a shelf life of two years once open.  Many on the forum use PRI which has a much longer shelf life.

Snow Team:

Simplicity 1060 DLXE - Toro Snow Commander / 3650 - Honda HS520
faithfulFrank

He is no fool who gives up what he cannot keep
to gain what he cannot lose....

Reply #7   Mar 20, 2005 10:00 pm
I use Pri-G ...
1) supposed to last longer and is supposed to be better.
2) It is cheaper once you consider the concentrate....(2cc per gallon....wow).
3) I bought a quart of the stuff cheap online from Florida...a quart treats 512 gallons!

I also use a Mr. Funnel..........because it's cool.

It will be time to "summerize" the new Ariens soon.....but we may still have a storm or two left...

Frank D.

Ariens 1332DLE Pro, Exmark 52" HP ZTR, Gardian Generac generator, Shindiawa T230  Excell/Honda PW, Craftsman rototiller, Favorite IPE- My Mac + Ipod- No Windoze for me!
Replies: 4 - 7 of 7Next page of topicsPreviousAllView as Outline
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42