Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > Summerizing Ariens 1024 Blower

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
Markman

Summerizing Ariens 1024 Blower
Original Message   Mar 19, 2005 7:36 am
I know this topic has probably been discussed a number of times, but I have looking for some specific advice on summerizing for my Ariens 10hp Tecumseh OHV.   This is a new machine and I want to avoid the yellow carb of my last Ariens.   The machine was used this winter and has about 1/4 tank of fuel left in it.   We are expecting some snow tommorrow, so I hope tommorrow is the last use of the season.   I use 87 octane and no sta-bil fuel.   My plan is to put a few drops of sta-bil fuel in the tank and let it run completely out of fuel and then store it for the summer.   I will add fuel in October, run it, change engine oil and gear oil and let it run it out of fuel again.   Then start using it around December.    I need a better plan.     Any advice would be appreciated. 

Ariens 1024 Pro, JD 160 Tractor, Lawnboy 10356, Husky 350 saw, echo wacker, craftman tiller
Replies: 1 - 7 of 7View as Outline
snowshoveler

tides in dirts out surfs up

Re: Summerizing Ariens 1024 Blower
Reply #1   Mar 19, 2005 8:44 am
sounds like you have the right idea.

i would however change the oil now in the engine. that way its not sitting with moisture and acids from combustion in it all summer.

nobody ever does it this way but it is better for your engine.

later chris

craftsman 10/28 snowblower with tracks   husky 372xpg chainsaw   sachs dolmar bc212 bushsaw   mondo trimmer   monster tractor with trailer    cheep wheelbarro and couple shovels and a partridge in a pear tree 
TheKneebiter

Reply #2   Mar 19, 2005 9:05 am
I agree,  Change your oil before you store it. Also what i do is wipe it down nice and clean with a damp rag and some 409 or windex type cleaner. Then take a can of wd40 or a similar type spray oil and spray the whole machine down.  The oil will dry to a film and protect it from rust . I did this with my first ariens snowblower and it looked like new 10 years later and i sold it for top dollar and got a larger new one. I do this with all my ope equipment when storing.

nibbler

Reply #3   Mar 19, 2005 12:29 pm
I don't think you need to run a fresh tank through it in the fall unless you are just testing to see if everything is OK so that you have time to address any issues. I wouldd do a 15 minute run through about 2-3 weeks before the expected snow season. That way you have a fresh tank of gas and you don't have to run it empty again.

1. Changing the oil at the end of the season can be a good idea, depends on how many hours you have on it since the last change.

2. After running the engine dry take out the spark plug, squirt a LITTLE oil or "engine fogger" in and then turn it over by hand a couple of times. Put the spark plug back in.

3. I take the belts off, that means I inspect them in the late fall when I'm getting ready for the season.

4. Wire brush and then prime and paint any nicks.

5. Check all the bolts to make sure none are loose.

6. Make a list of anything that needs adjustment or refurbishment, do it before putting it to bed and then check it when you do the wake up.

7. Where ever you park it, put some wooden blocks under the transmission and auger housings to get the wheels in the air.

8. Pull the wheels off an check for peening around the holes for the lock pins. If there is some use a file to get the shaft smooth again.

9. Grease the axle and then put the wheels back on.

10. Put the ignition key some place that you can find it in the fall, not that I've ever lost mine and had to buy a new one

I've heard of people spraying their equipment with various light oils, others use wax.
This message was modified Mar 19, 2005 by nibbler
Markman

Reply #4   Mar 19, 2005 1:10 pm
Thanks snow, knee, and nibbler,  these are all great ideas that I will keep a list of.    3 for 3 on changing the oil now means I will change it now.   I assume I should change the 80/90w gear oil also ?    Another topic --- Do any of you use sta-bil fuel ?   If so, how should I use it ?     I have a 2.5 gal and 5 gal gas cans.    I keep the 2.5 in my gargage and use in the winter for the blower and summer for the 21 inch mower.   I leave the 5 gal in my shed and use it for my lawn tractor or as a back-up.    Should I  use the sta-bil every time I fill the cans ?   or is it used only when you summerize or winterize ?    Thanks 

Ariens 1024 Pro, JD 160 Tractor, Lawnboy 10356, Husky 350 saw, echo wacker, craftman tiller
TheKneebiter

Reply #5   Mar 19, 2005 3:05 pm
no need to change the gear oil. just pull the plug and look to see if it drips out of the hole. if so you are ok, if not just add a touch untill it drips out. you can go for many many years on the original oil.

TomP

Once you go Mac you never go back!

Reply #6   Mar 19, 2005 7:50 pm
Markman wrote:
 Do any of you use sta-bil fuel ?   If so, how should I use it ?     I have a 2.5 gal and 5 gal gas cans.    I keep the 2.5 in my gargage and use in the winter for the blower and summer for the 21 inch mower.   I leave the 5 gal in my shed and use it for my lawn tractor or as a back-up.    Should I  use the sta-bil every time I fill the cans ?   or is it used only when you summerize or winterize ?    Thanks 
I have never used stabilizer during high use periods such as summer.  If you can use the gas in 30 days I don't think it needs to be stabilized.  During the winter or when your equipment will be idle for a period of time stabilizer is a good idea.  Sta-bil has a shelf life of two years once open.  Many on the forum use PRI which has a much longer shelf life.

Snow Team:

Simplicity 1060 DLXE - Toro Snow Commander / 3650 - Honda HS520
faithfulFrank

He is no fool who gives up what he cannot keep
to gain what he cannot lose....

Reply #7   Mar 20, 2005 10:00 pm
I use Pri-G ...
1) supposed to last longer and is supposed to be better.
2) It is cheaper once you consider the concentrate....(2cc per gallon....wow).
3) I bought a quart of the stuff cheap online from Florida...a quart treats 512 gallons!

I also use a Mr. Funnel..........because it's cool.

It will be time to "summerize" the new Ariens soon.....but we may still have a storm or two left...

Frank D.

Ariens 1332DLE Pro, Exmark 52" HP ZTR, Gardian Generac generator, Shindiawa T230  Excell/Honda PW, Craftsman rototiller, Favorite IPE- My Mac + Ipod- No Windoze for me!
Replies: 1 - 7 of 7View as Outline
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42