Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > Drive system on 1970 Ariens?

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
Garandman

Drive system on 1970 Ariens?
Original Message   Mar 18, 2005 3:08 pm
I called Ariens about my 1970 manufacture Sno Throw. The front part is 10995 and the back, "tractor" section is either #10942 or #10954.

I'm going to order the service manual for it, but was curious about the drive system. It has 4 speeds forward and one reverse. The forward speeds seem quite "direct" while reverse has some slippage built in and you can stop it readily.

I've read about the friction disk system, but this doesn't seem to have one? Not sure what I'm looking at in the exploded view (I'm spoiled with 3D solid modeling).

Also, are replacement decals available for this vintage of machine?

Finally, I have new skids (two sided) and they seem to be a slightly different orange, possibly because of the effects of 35 years aging. Does the dealer sell spray paint, or can I match it from another brand of  spray can?

TIA
This message was modified Mar 18, 2005 by Garandman
Replies: 20 - 29 of 29Next page of topicsPreviousAllView as Outline
Garandman

Re: Drive system on 1970 Ariens?
Reply #20   Apr 24, 2005 4:03 pm
Here's a slightly different view. You can see why it's being repainted......
This message was modified Apr 24, 2005 by Garandman
Dave___in___CT

Deliberate often...
...decide once...

Reply #21   Apr 24, 2005 5:50 pm
Garandman wrote:
On a related note, I'm starting to debate the wisdom of upgrading this old unit versus buying a newer one. Putting on a new engine, friction disk, and some other minor repairs etc will cost me about  $300 net (I can sell the old engine since it's still running). Or, I can sell this unit for about $200 and buy a newer used model. There are two ST824's in excellent condition in the paper for $700 and $750.  So it's $500 and no work versus $300 and some work, after which I'd still have a 35 year old snowblower with a new engine.

My dad bought this one new in 1970 so there's some nostalgic attachment.  Another option is to repair the necessities and just keep using it. But the newer models allow the auger to be stopped, while this model keeps them engaged all the time. So the new design seems safer.  I'd consider keeping it as is but don't have the room.

I took the engine and auger off this weekend as well as the bottom plate for a thorough inspection and cleaning. I have to admit it's built like a tank.  The gear housing in the auger is massive.

No urgency now as the "last" snowstorm turned to rain. It's possible we'll get more, as the famous "April Fool's  Day" storm of a few years back demonstrated.

I hear ya' !!!

I buy used and new equipment for my own use... and it's usually the same with me... Fix ? Use as-is? New ? The brain spins !  Usually it woks out excellent...

Good luck...

Dave...

Whether you think you can or you can't... you're right.
Henry Ford

BCS Tractor & snowblower

Garandman

Reply #22   Apr 25, 2005 8:20 am
Above-mentioned images.

This message was modified Apr 25, 2005 by Garandman
RalphS

There's a reason for more than one snowblower.
Because.
1974 Ariens 824 SnoThro
197? Ariens ST270 SnoThro
1988 Ariens ST824 SnoThro
196? REO Snowblower
1960 Ariens SnoThro
1964 Ariens SnoThro

Reply #23   Apr 25, 2005 10:12 am
Fred-

That paint doesn't look that bad.  Wait until I post before and after pix of my '88. 

The "connecting brackets" are just short (maybe 4" -6" long, I can't remember) rods with a 90 degree bend in them- they are cotter-pinned into brackets inside the housing.  There is one on each side.  When you remove these "brackets", the drive assembly should kind of just rotate down and towards the back of the machine. 

I couldn't see them in the pix you posted.  I don't think the early 70's drives were all that different, but you may not have them.  When I originally was working on my '74, I couldn't see how to get at those 4 little nuts holding the bearings in- once I disconnected these brackets, access was great.  

Let me know if you need any help- like I mentioned before, the manual can be a little confusing.  I can take some pix, but I have never gotten around to figuring out how to post them.  I can PM them to you if you want. 

Good Luck.

Ralph

Garandman

Reply #24   Apr 25, 2005 9:08 pm
My motor came in today. It's marked 7.75 hp - ?

Of course, now that I'm committed to  this project I won an older  Ariens 824 with three year old engine  for $227 on eBay....
This message was modified Apr 25, 2005 by Garandman
Garandman

Reply #25   Apr 26, 2005 11:18 pm
I got the manual today.  A 1970 5 hp tractor is model #10965 and the prcedure is different:

1. Remove bottom cover.
2. Remove  connecting link from chain and remove train.
3. Remove left wheel
4. Remove plate on left side of frame.
5. Remove locknut on right end of hex shaft.
6. Remove the four locknuts holding the bearing flange on the left hand side of the carrier.
7. Pull the hex shaft out of the right hand bearing  and the left hand bearing out of the frame.
8. Remove hair pin from fork shaft through the slot on the right hand rear corner of the frame.
9. Hold clutch handle up and remove the fork shaft out of the right side of the frame.
10. Remove cotter pin from shaft link.
11. Remove friction wheel assembly.
12. Remove snap ring, bearing and fork from the friction wheel hub.
13. Remove the five screws holding the friction wheel to the hub.
TheKneebiter

Reply #26   Apr 27, 2005 9:01 am
Make sure you clean the plate that the disc rides on with brake cleaner. then i would scuff it up with fine sand paper to remove and glaze before putting it back together.

Garandman

Reply #27   Apr 27, 2005 11:33 am
TheKneebiter wrote:
Make sure you clean the plate that the disc rides on with brake cleaner. then i would scuff it up with fine sand paper to remove and glaze before putting it back together.

What it originally rough?

I was surprised at the difference between the old friction disk and the new one, which has a semi-circular cross-section.
TheKneebiter

Reply #28   Apr 27, 2005 11:52 am
no, it was always smooth. but over time it can build up a glaze that could make the tire slip. by sanding it you will make it a tad rough and give the tire a nice platter to ride on.

Garandman

Reply #29   Apr 28, 2005 7:06 am
Got mine out last night. The disk is in pretty good shape, no real glaze but I buffed it a bit anyway.

I've taken apart the entire tractor to repaint the housing and check all the parts while I wait or the welder.. After 35 years of New England winters, most of the keys are worn and need rplacing. The earings were all in good shape. The bushings (bronze) that the axle shaft passes through were worn almost  completely through - I was pleased to see they're replaceable. The Woodruff key that locks the gear to the drive axle was also beat up a bit.

Very ruggedly built machine, overall, I'm impressed.
Replies: 20 - 29 of 29Next page of topicsPreviousAllView as Outline
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42