Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > Should I remove augur on two year old Ariens 824?

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
Smitty

"He who dies with the most toys/tools wins!"

Should I remove augur on two year old Ariens 824?
Original Message   Mar 16, 2005 7:21 pm
Just wondering if I should do preventative maintenance on the augur shaft of my ARiens. I of course utilize the grease fittings at the end of the season to lube the shaft but I thought I saw on here a while back something about removing the shear pins and free wheeling the shaft to lube it or something. Any thoughts guys? I just don't ever want to get in the situation where the shaft and augurs bond together and I have to use a torch to get them apart.

Ariens 824 Sno Thro, Toro 18" Gas Trimmer, Craftsman 3.5 HP 9" Edger/Trimmer, Echo SRM230 Trimmer/Brush Cutter, Toro 21" Recycler II Mower, Craftsman 8.5 HP Chipper/Shredder, Craftsman 25cc GAs Blower/Vac, Husky Y1000 Air Compressor, Homelite EZ ChainSaw, Husky Chain Saw
Replies: 1 - 4 of 4View as Outline
snowshoveler

tides in dirts out surfs up

Re: Should I remove augur on two year old Ariens 824?
Reply #1   Mar 16, 2005 7:48 pm
always a good idea to remove the sheer bolts or pins and grease ,then spin auger  to distribute lube and then reassemble.

later chris

craftsman 10/28 snowblower with tracks   husky 372xpg chainsaw   sachs dolmar bc212 bushsaw   mondo trimmer   monster tractor with trailer    cheep wheelbarro and couple shovels and a partridge in a pear tree 
Gilsons

Let it snow, in southern Maine

Reply #2   Mar 16, 2005 9:23 pm
There are 2 things to watch for, one is rust, using any poivided grease fittings can't hurt. The other is peening of the shaft hole.  Over time this can displace shaft steel outward and lock the auger tube to the shaft. By removing the pins every year and checking for freeness you can catch this in time. If it starts you will need to remove the augers and restore the countersink in the shaft.
This message was modified Mar 16, 2005 by Gilsons

Smitty

"He who dies with the most toys/tools wins!"

Reply #3   Mar 16, 2005 9:57 pm
Thanks guys, I will follow your suggestions.

Ariens 824 Sno Thro, Toro 18" Gas Trimmer, Craftsman 3.5 HP 9" Edger/Trimmer, Echo SRM230 Trimmer/Brush Cutter, Toro 21" Recycler II Mower, Craftsman 8.5 HP Chipper/Shredder, Craftsman 25cc GAs Blower/Vac, Husky Y1000 Air Compressor, Homelite EZ ChainSaw, Husky Chain Saw
RalphS

There's a reason for more than one snowblower.
Because.
1974 Ariens 824 SnoThro
197? Ariens ST270 SnoThro
1988 Ariens ST824 SnoThro
196? REO Snowblower
1960 Ariens SnoThro
1964 Ariens SnoThro

Reply #4   Mar 17, 2005 8:08 am
From my experience, removing the shear pins, greasing, and spinning the augers should be done every year.  The previous owner of my  "free" Ariens ST824 never did, effectively eliminating the shear pins from the equation when he hit something. 

Should have ruined the gears, but luckily only sheared both groove pins in the gearcase.  That was enough of a pain to repair. 

My two cents.

Ralph

Replies: 1 - 4 of 4View as Outline
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42