Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > Ariens ST1136 - Axle Removal

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
zslnk

Ariens ST1136 - Axle Removal
Original Message   Mar 15, 2005 10:17 pm
Hello,
So I've been working to get my 'new' 1985 ST1136 back in good form and I've found that the axle bearings are a quite worn. After taking the wheels off I can't figure out how to get the axle shafts out from the differential unit. The only method I can think of is to pound out a 1/4"x1-1/4" pin that is on the diff lock at the end of the axle. Can anyone tell me how to get this apart? I've tried to hammer out the pin and it doesn't look like it wants to move...

I got this blower used and it's a little rusty but a very nice working machine. After I replace the wheel bearings I think that I'll have a really good blower. I purchased this machine for $700CAD used, not bad for a professional machine with the cast gearbox and diff lock. I hadn't been a big fan of Briggs but this one has an 11hp engine and after a carb rebuild it's working really well!

Thanks,
Craig

Thanks,
Craig

Replies: 1 - 7 of 7View as Outline
zslnk

Re: Ariens ST1136 - Axle Removal
Reply #1   Mar 16, 2005 11:19 am
After speaking to my dealer he mentioned that some units used a tapered pin in the axle hub, can anyone confirm this? He told me to hit it one way and if no action hit it the other, he said they always come out OK.

Craig,

Jonathan

I am a marvelous housekeeper. Every time I leave a man I keep his house. -Zsa Zsa

Reply #2   Mar 16, 2005 11:44 am
Have you checked the exploded parts section for your model at the Ariens Web Page Parts Radar?

2004 Ariens 11528LE, Troybilt Horse "Big Red" Tiller (original), Troybilt Tuffy Tiller (original), Sears LT1000 mower, Lawn Boy 7073 21" mower, Stihl FS55 RC trimmer, Poulan Countervibe 3400 chainsaw
zslnk

Reply #3   Mar 16, 2005 11:47 am
I have, they don't show the axle / diff for my blower, I haven't checked for other models that might be the same thought.

Craig,

Jonathan

I am a marvelous housekeeper. Every time I leave a man I keep his house. -Zsa Zsa

Reply #4   Mar 16, 2005 12:48 pm
Maybe try using a rust buster like PB Blaster and see if frees them up.

2004 Ariens 11528LE, Troybilt Horse "Big Red" Tiller (original), Troybilt Tuffy Tiller (original), Sears LT1000 mower, Lawn Boy 7073 21" mower, Stihl FS55 RC trimmer, Poulan Countervibe 3400 chainsaw
robmints

Reply #5   Mar 16, 2005 3:23 pm
The #3 taper pin I have is 1.780 long .220 at the big end and .185 at the small end. If it is a taper pin you can try to measure to see if it is tapered.
snowshoveler

tides in dirts out surfs up

Reply #6   Mar 16, 2005 5:17 pm
its a solid pinand yes it is tapered and it has a small spline on the larger end.

its very dificult to see and it has just 1 or 2 slashes in it..thats the end that comes out. easier way would be to measure it with a vernier.

and they do come out very hard.

long piece of steel and a big hammer ,also support it on the other side while TAPPING.

later chris

craftsman 10/28 snowblower with tracks   husky 372xpg chainsaw   sachs dolmar bc212 bushsaw   mondo trimmer   monster tractor with trailer    cheep wheelbarro and couple shovels and a partridge in a pear tree 
zslnk

Reply #7   Mar 17, 2005 8:47 am
Thanks for the pin info!

I got it out last night, turns out I just needed a larger hammer and a new 3/16" drift. The way I started to hit it was so that I saw the splines comming out the other end so I did it right. BTW, I supported the hub assembly with a piece of maple that I cut to fit between the floor and the flat part of the hub. It came out very easily once I got all setup.

After I got the bearings out it was apparent that they were toast, the one lost it's rubber seal and ate some grit. I also took out the differental, I wanted to soak all the old grease out of it and clean it up but it looks like it is geased then rivited together. I won't de-grease it it I can't re-grease it!

Thanks again,

Craig

Replies: 1 - 7 of 7View as Outline
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42