Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > the great horsepower debate...

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
snowshoveler

tides in dirts out surfs up

the great horsepower debate...
Original Message   Mar 15, 2005 8:18 pm
well folks a tied up the briggs rep and made him fess up on the sno engines.

there are 3 real horsepower ranges.

the small one is fron 6 to 8.5 horse...actually 8 horse i beleive not positive on this

the 9 to 12 horse units ...actually 12 horse

last is 13 horse  and it is closer to 14 horse

and almost all of them are cast iron bore.

the snappers are all cast iron  bore according to the tech.

thare have been no service manuals on the inteck engines since april of 2002,and there is no info on them that is any newer than that.

this is why there is so much controversey on it.

briggs never thought that they would have the success with the engine that they did,things just worked out real well for them.

they plan to get the numbers RIGHT for next season...and you guessed it ...it will be cubic inches not horsepower.

later chris

craftsman 10/28 snowblower with tracks   husky 372xpg chainsaw   sachs dolmar bc212 bushsaw   mondo trimmer   monster tractor with trailer    cheep wheelbarro and couple shovels and a partridge in a pear tree 
Replies: 20 - 29 of 33Next page of topicsPreviousNextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
Richie

Bring On The White Stuff

Re: the great horsepower debate...
Reply #20   Mar 16, 2005 5:15 pm
snowshoveler wrote:

and as for fudging numbers ...well how about the automakers,ever wonder why you dont get the advertised mpg ha ha i gave up that one.

Chris,

The EPA is responsible for that one.  Believe me, people are really getting tired of it too.

Richie
snowshoveler

Reply #21   Mar 16, 2005 5:22 pm
EPA   i have a new dodge with the hemi and on my trip home from the update ,after refueling (101 dollars).i had the cruise on and going down hill the computer in the roof display had the nerve to tell me i was getting 89 mpg. if i had of had a gun i would have shot me or the computer right then.

i thing im gonna quit all this and just grow some vegtables.

later chris

craftsman 10/28 snowblower with tracks   husky 372xpg chainsaw   sachs dolmar bc212 bushsaw   mondo trimmer   monster tractor with trailer    cheep wheelbarro and couple shovels and a partridge in a pear tree 
jubol

Reply #22   Mar 16, 2005 5:40 pm
Snowshoveler,

What about the Tec Hp ratings on the  engines with the same  displacement??

Fred

This message was modified Mar 16, 2005 by jubol

Husqvarna STE927(11.5HP) snowblower,  MTD Pro Series 18/42 Lawnmower, MTD 6.5 HP  Self Prop Lawn Mower,  Weedeater 1500 Blower, Web Gensis  2000 
mml4

Snow is good,
Deep snow is better!

Reply #23   Mar 16, 2005 5:57 pm
snowshoveler wrote:
as i reported when i started this thread...my information comes from a factory technician.not a salesman.

If the above comment refers to my earlier post,my information did not come from a SALESMAN. It came from a TECH at Simplicity in the engineering department of the Port Washington Wisconsin factory. I DON'T doubt that the information you get as a tech is far better than we get as consummers.However I believe that information about SPECIFIC OPE units is more reliable from a tech at the manufacturing facility of the OPE than a tech at the facility that manufactures only the engine.

Once again, the information stated by the Simplicity tech was right on the money .

Respectfully,

Marc 

This message was modified Mar 16, 2005 by mml4

SnapperV210P,Toro22177,TroyBilt42010Snowthrower,Craftsman Shredder,American Turbo Pressure Washer HondaGX200,Stihl011Saw,EchoPas260Trimmer Edger,EchoPB602Blower,EchoHCR150Hedge Clipper
snowshoveler

Reply #24   Mar 16, 2005 6:20 pm
tecumseh isnt quite as far out there as briggs but they do have there own way of telling the truth.

the only thing i can tell you for sure is that every ope engine will really produce the advertised horsepower. however the rpm that you have to run it at to get that horsepower is an entirely different thing.

the only lawnmowers that actually make the advertised horsepower would be the ones with 2 blades.

later chris 

Marshall

As Long As There Are Tests, There Will Be Prayer In Public Schools. ;- )

Reply #25   Mar 16, 2005 7:11 pm
snowshoveler wrote:
EPA   i have a new dodge with the hemi and on my trip home from the update ,after refueling (101 dollars).i had the cruise on and going down hill the computer in the roof display had the nerve to tell me i was getting 89 mpg. if i had of had a gun i would have shot me or the computer right then.

i thing im gonna quit all this and just grow some vegtables.

later chris

Those are idiot meters, as bad as engine idiot lights. I had one on a 77 Olds Toranado XSR and a 78 Caddy Seville, they did the same thing back then. Nice cars back then, now they're pimpmobiles. LOL

Matter of fact, the Toronado was this very year, model and color. The rear window wrapped around the back, there was no C pillar.

Richie

Bring On The White Stuff

Reply #26   Mar 16, 2005 7:15 pm
snowshoveler wrote:
EPA   i have a new dodge with the hemi and on my trip home from the update ,after refueling (101 dollars).i had the cruise on and going down hill the computer in the roof display had the nerve to tell me i was getting 89 mpg.

Chris,

At that split second you probably were getting 89 MPG.  Even if the cruise control was on, and going down hill, it most likely let off on the accelerator so the car was coasting.  In the end, I'd say you averaged 17 MPH during your trip.  That's what can get confusing about those computers, they have the ability to show you on-the-fly MPG and is a far cry from overall average mileage.  Great engine you got there.  Too bad they don't make a mini-version for our OPE

Richie
snowshoveler

Reply #27   Mar 16, 2005 7:50 pm
oh yea i know at that second it was getting the super mileage ...but going up the hill on the other side . well can you say negative numbers...

later chris

bbwb

Less is more...more or less

Reply #28   Mar 16, 2005 8:27 pm
Marshall:

Did that year have the 500 cubic inch engine?  That was one fine, smooth running engine, don't make them like that anymore.

bbwb

Marshall

As Long As There Are Tests, There Will Be Prayer In Public Schools. ;- )

Reply #29   Mar 16, 2005 9:21 pm
bbwb wrote:
Marshall:

Did that year have the 500 cubic inch engine?  That was one fine, smooth running engine, don't make them like that anymore.

bbwb

No it did not, it had a Big Block 403 or 405, can't remember which one now.

But, my folks had an Eldorado of 74 or 75, I think, and it had the 500 cu in engine. You're right, that baby would flat out hum down the interstate! You're right they sure don't make them like that anymore.
Replies: 20 - 29 of 33Next page of topicsPreviousNextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42