Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > Used Snowblowers - Ariens, Craftsman, Simplicity, Toro?

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
DeltaSierra

Used Snowblowers - Ariens, Craftsman, Simplicity, Toro?
Original Message   Mar 12, 2005 12:15 pm
Found this site surfing for Snowblower reviews.

I'm in the market for a used mid-sized snowblower for a driveway and walkways. 24" (because of some tight corners) and 7 or 8 hp. Looking around in the papers and such I see 3-5 year old machines for $400-600. Most of them are Ariens, Craftsman or Toro but there are a few Simplicity units and some other brands like MTD or Murray that seem to be "department store" brands. There are also a few Hondas but their owners are very proud of them!

Does it matter? Amongst my friends they own 2 Ariens, 1 Craftsman, and 1 Toro, they are all happy and they all say the older ones are better made than the new ones.
Replies: 2 - 11 of 11Next page of topicsPreviousAllView as Outline
robmints

Re: Used Snowblowers - Ariens, Craftsman, Simplicity, Toro?
Reply #2   Mar 12, 2005 1:56 pm
Welcome Delta Sierra,
Such a question you ask.
First, please help us. I think there is a list of questions in a thread at the top. If you could look at them and post back here with any information you see fit, might be helpful.
24 really limits you, how about 26?
Why used, cost, or that you think you are getting a better machine?
How are your mechanical skills?

In general I would think buying used would be quite a risk unless you are mechanically inclined and were getting a real good deal. Or if you knew the machine, you might be able to cheat a bit on the level of the deal and your mechanical ability.

Here are the questions from the thread at the top. Your answers will really help those that know in helping you.

1) What state or province do you live in? How much snow do you generally get at one time. How much in a season?

2) How large is your driveway? Is it paved? Is it flat? If not flat, what approximate angle is the incline? Do you also plan on clearing snow off pathways, sidewalks, etc?

3) Will you be removing snow from property other than that of your primary residence?

4) What's the most you're prepared to spend on snow removal equipment?

5) Do you plan on removing the snow as needed or wait until you cannot see out the windows?

6) Will the equipment be stored in an enclosed area or outside in the elements? If storing in an enclosed area, is the area heated? Any storage limitations?

7) Who will be the primary person using the equipment? Will anyone smaller in size and strength be using the equipment or, anyone with physical limitations?

8 ) Do you already have a relationship with a local outdoor power equipment dealer that you trust?

9) Will you be performing the routine maintenance or relying on someone else?

10) Would you possibly use the equipment after dark?
Walt

Do what you can, with what you have, where you are. -T. Roosevelt

Reply #3   Mar 12, 2005 1:56 pm
Delta,

Welcome first of all.

Secondly, how big of an area do you need to blow, how much snow do you get?  If your concern is tight areas, I would recommend looking at a new single stage blower.  I have a Toro 3650 and can put it where I want to. (Please don't tell Marshall because I didn't write a review on it yet and I will be "spanked")

My drive is about 2300 square feet of area, (about 35x35 parking and a 75 foot long x 15 wide drive.  Also 30 feet of walkway and it does well for that.  I live in Southeastern PA where we get a few storms each year, mostly about 6" and here and there a 12" fall.

When I was looking for blowers people said that single stages are good for flat areas, although mine can climb a drive of 1-3/4 inches rise per foot without any problem.

You can get a Toro 3650 for about $600.

If you have 2 foot snowfalls all the time I would recommend you listen to the others on the board and forget that I ever wrote this...

Again, Welcome and Best regards,

Walt

This message was modified Mar 12, 2005 by Walt
Marshall

As Long As There Are Tests, There Will Be Prayer In Public Schools. ;- )

Reply #4   Mar 12, 2005 3:24 pm
How the machine was used and cared for means more than the brand and maybe even the age of it. Are you qualified to determine that?
DeltaSierra

Reply #5   Mar 14, 2005 9:09 am
It doesn't show up in the profile apparently but I live in Manchester, NH. We get around 60-100" of snow a year, with individual storms of 1" to 24". It probably snows 10-20 times a season, including dustings.

I have to clear a driveway with a little slope, not bad, 75' or so, and some walkways. Notably, one of the walkways is between a building and a fence, so the blower has to be powerful enough to throw it over the fence (almost straight up).
My very old Ariens is having trouble doing that.

The local dealers don't have any snowblowers left but there are some good deals on used machines. I'm a mechanical engineer by trade and have done mechanical work up to replacing the transmission in a 1969 SAAB but typically bring my power equipment to an excellent local dealer, Stihl Turf Depot, as they charge less per hour than I do....Middle-aged used models seem like the best deals, there are people moving South....
solara

Reply #6   Mar 14, 2005 11:24 am
look on craig's list. there is an 8hp toro north of boston that the guy had wanted 375 and is now looking for 300.

want ads also good. can sign up on internet for  2.25 per week.

there is also a guy in londonderry (off of the main road that leads to the flea market)that  near on eof the apples places that sells them on his lawn.

and a bunch on ebay. sort via distance.

good time to buy

2004-2005 Ariens 11528LE
Jacobsen snow-burst
ChrisS

Appreciate what you have already been blessed with.

Reply #7   Mar 14, 2005 3:30 pm
Delta I am in the clinic and in a rush,

Call the Home Depot in Concord, they had left over machines on sale the last time I went through, Ariens and Toro's, about a 30 minute drive for you lots of them.

Stick to the premium machines as mentioned used or new.  Try to buy new from a dealer but if the HD has a sweet deal go for it.

I have not been there in a few weeks so I don't know what they have now as you know we have been getting hammered these past weeks with snow.  Keep looking, be patient, look for early bird specials in the spring too.  Also when was the last time the old Ariens had it's belts checked and a tune up?  Don't sell it short yet.....

C

Honda 928TA, Ariens 924 STE, Toro single stage S-620, 95 Jeep Wrangler with a 6 foot Fisher Plow, many shovels, one 14 year old boy.  Craftsman 01 1000 LTX pimp Gold LT 20hp Briggs OHV V-twin.  Tough as it is ugly.
robmints

Reply #8   Mar 14, 2005 5:08 pm
DeltaSierra wrote:
 I'm a mechanical engineer by trade and have done mechanical work up to replacing the transmission in a 1969 SAAB .

I wonder why more car makers don't put their engines in backwards and hang the transmission off the side of the oil pan than drive it by a chain to the engine?
This message was modified Mar 14, 2005 by robmints
DeltaSierra

Reply #9   Mar 14, 2005 8:38 pm
There's a 2001 Ariens 824 for sale for $750,  little used.

What is an 824? It seems like they have Classic, Compact, Deluxe and Professional, but what did they have in 2001?
robmints

Reply #10   Mar 14, 2005 8:48 pm
When you look at one it would help to know the model numbers. I think there is a 932xxx and a 924xxx. I don't know what they mean, but you will get help. I agree that with used condition is just about everything.
robmints

Reply #11   Mar 14, 2005 9:01 pm
DeltaSierra,
Maybe read through this thread a bit.

R3 Upgrade

It has some good background and information in it.
Replies: 2 - 11 of 11Next page of topicsPreviousAllView as Outline
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42