Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > Replacement snow engine for old Ariens Snowblower - Tecumseh, B&S, Honda?

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
Garandman

Replacement snow engine for old Ariens Snowblower - Tecumseh, B&S, Honda?
Original Message   Mar 10, 2005 5:12 pm
I have an old Ariens snowblower that is in good shape but with a tired engine. I've been looking into a new replacement. The logical candidates seem to be the Tecumseh OHSK70, the B&S Intek 7.5, and the Honda GX200. 

The Honda seems to have the most torque (10 ft lbs) but is also by far the most expensive - $500 versus around $300 for the other two.

I have never seen a torque figure quoted for the Tecumseh, but it seems like the Intek 7.5 is around 7 ft  lbs?

Another engine that I came across was the Robin Subaru EX series, a 7hp OHC engine that has a lot of advanced features but isn't much more than the B&S or Tecumseh. They all have the same crankshaft (3/4") and height (about 4.17").
B&S sent me data sheets on the replacement: the Honda dealer has an employee who did one; and Tecumseh gave me all the dimensions and concerns (mostly about fitting the chute crank under the engine) but they all seem like they'll work.

I live in Boston MA and the current unit is a Tecumseh H50 on a 1970 Ariens. I checked the compression and it's 65 psi on the first pull and 75 psi after 2 or 3 (by hand pull). I do the sidewalks up and down the street for  some older (or lazier) neighbors so the kids can walk to school without walking in the road. The blower is great because it compacts the snow a bit and the biggest problem here after a snowstorm is finding a place to put it. I've used the unit 8 times so far this season.
This message was modified Apr 22, 2005 by Garandman
Replies: 30 - 39 of 43Next page of topicsPreviousNextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
Dans

Re: Replacement snow engine for old Ariens Snowblower - Tecumseh, B&S, Honda?
Reply #30   Nov 5, 2007 10:51 pm
Ariens snowblower engine upgrade.  High performance Ariens snowblower.

Check out this work in progress.  Upgrading from a 6 HP Tecumseh to an 11 HP Honda!

Had to relocate the motor mount studs.  Needs a custom pulley as the new engine has a 1" dia shaft.

5" OD cast iron pulley on order from McMaster-Carr.  More Later...

This message was modified Nov 5, 2007 by Dans
Moderator Denis

Reply #31   Nov 6, 2007 1:18 pm
Dans wrote:
Ariens snowblower engine upgrade.  High performance Ariens snowblower.

Check out this work in progress.  Upgrading from a 6 HP Tecumseh to an 11 HP Honda!

Had to relocate the motor mount studs.  Needs a custom pulley as the new engine has a 1" dia shaft.

5" OD cast iron pulley on order from McMaster-Carr.  More Later...

Wow!  wish I could listen and see this snow eater!!! Good job pal keep the good work

Professorpi

Reply #32   Nov 6, 2007 2:15 pm
Nice, I'd like to see what you're going to do for the chute control. I've been toying with the idea of using a stepper motor, I think that would be cool.
Dans

Motorized Snowblower Chute Angle Control
Reply #33   Nov 6, 2007 10:17 pm
Professor,

The stepper idea sounds good.  I had been planning on using the old crank with a 3/8" socket set universal welded in line to make the turn up from under the engine to the handlebars.  I like your idea-it eliminates a lot of cranking back and forth.  You may be interested in a similar idea from utube-it's awesome!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GBL3GxBduyU

I'm still waiting for my new engine pulley.

Regards, Steve

Professorpi

Reply #34   Nov 7, 2007 3:25 pm
This might work for you if you didn't buy the pulley yet: Ebay Item number: 320177893719. Also, Garandman bought his universal joints from McMaster-Carr ~$12 each.
jubol

Reply #35   Nov 7, 2007 4:03 pm
Save money on universal joints!!

Go to a used hand tool shop and buy socket wrench universals.

I bought 2 for a dollar when I mounted a new engine on my buddies snowblower!!

Works great!

Fred

Husqvarna STE927(11.5HP) snowblower,  MTD Pro Series 18/42 Lawnmower, MTD 6.5 HP  Self Prop Lawn Mower,  Weedeater 1500 Blower, Web Gensis  2000 
Dans

Reply #36   Nov 7, 2007 10:05 pm
The new pulley arrived today.  It is installed on the shaft along with a longer belt.  The original engine is shown for a side by side comparison.  Note the increased size of the engine pulley.  I am looking at incorporating a "Dead Man"  belt tensioner as the auger and wheel drives on these old Ariens keep going if you let go of the handle bars while blowing snow.  Thanks for your tips and suggestions.

6HP Tecumseh and 11HP Honda

nibbler

Drive Pulley Size
Reply #37   Nov 8, 2007 6:33 am
It looks like the new pulley is at least double the size of the old one. That means the auger and impeller will be going over twice as fast. While this means the snow will be thrown faster and further it also means there is a lot more stress being put on the entire auger/impeller system. You will probably get a great deal of vibration and things will wear out pretty fast. Try using the lowest gear possible for the traction system or you might be running after a snow bazooka. Make sure you're no "aiming" at anything important.
Professorpi

Reply #38   Nov 8, 2007 3:23 pm

Excellent point Nibbler. Dans the engine pulley on my similar Ariens is 2.5" in diameter matched to a 9" drive pulley that reduces the 3600rpm of the motor to 1000rpm for the impeller. By using only a 2.75" pulley the angular frequency of the impeller increases to 1100rpm, a 10% increase. Match that 10% with your 11HP (wow) and you should achieve very good distance. Please keep us up to date.

nibbler

Pulley Size
Reply #39   Nov 8, 2007 9:19 pm
According to a previous post the new pulley has an OD of 5" as opposed to the probable 2.5" of the original. That means the auger rakes are running at about double their designed for speed. Add in the extra horsepower and there might be a problem with the auger system being too powerful and fast.

The other thing to note is that the final RPM reduction occurs in the worm gear that converts the front to back axis of rotation into a left to right axis of rotation. I'd be afraid of an auger running at 1000RPM although you wouldn't need an impeller for a second stage boost.
Replies: 30 - 39 of 43Next page of topicsPreviousNextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42