Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > Replacement snow engine for old Ariens Snowblower - Tecumseh, B&S, Honda?

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
Garandman

Replacement snow engine for old Ariens Snowblower - Tecumseh, B&S, Honda?
Original Message   Mar 10, 2005 5:12 pm
I have an old Ariens snowblower that is in good shape but with a tired engine. I've been looking into a new replacement. The logical candidates seem to be the Tecumseh OHSK70, the B&S Intek 7.5, and the Honda GX200. 

The Honda seems to have the most torque (10 ft lbs) but is also by far the most expensive - $500 versus around $300 for the other two.

I have never seen a torque figure quoted for the Tecumseh, but it seems like the Intek 7.5 is around 7 ft  lbs?

Another engine that I came across was the Robin Subaru EX series, a 7hp OHC engine that has a lot of advanced features but isn't much more than the B&S or Tecumseh. They all have the same crankshaft (3/4") and height (about 4.17").
B&S sent me data sheets on the replacement: the Honda dealer has an employee who did one; and Tecumseh gave me all the dimensions and concerns (mostly about fitting the chute crank under the engine) but they all seem like they'll work.

I live in Boston MA and the current unit is a Tecumseh H50 on a 1970 Ariens. I checked the compression and it's 65 psi on the first pull and 75 psi after 2 or 3 (by hand pull). I do the sidewalks up and down the street for  some older (or lazier) neighbors so the kids can walk to school without walking in the road. The blower is great because it compacts the snow a bit and the biggest problem here after a snowstorm is finding a place to put it. I've used the unit 8 times so far this season.
This message was modified Apr 22, 2005 by Garandman
Replies: 10 - 19 of 43Next page of topicsPreviousNextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
jubol

Re: Replacement snow engine - Tecumseh, B&S, Honda?
Reply #10   Mar 11, 2005 2:27 pm
Garandman,

Why not go with a Tec OHV 7HP.

With that , I don't  think you would have any bolt up, or foot print  problems.

Fred     

Husqvarna STE927(11.5HP) snowblower,  MTD Pro Series 18/42 Lawnmower, MTD 6.5 HP  Self Prop Lawn Mower,  Weedeater 1500 Blower, Web Gensis  2000 
SnowPro

Reply #11   Mar 11, 2005 2:39 pm
jubol wrote:
Garandman,

Why not go with a Tec OHV 7HP.

With that , I don't  think you would have any bolt up, or foot print  problems.

Fred     

I agree.  I don't know for sure, but that engine would seem to be the least fuss to install and more HP to boot!

Ken

Garandman

Reply #12   Mar 11, 2005 3:18 pm
The amount of work required to replace the H50 with the Tecumseh OHSK70 or the Briggs & Stratton Intek Snow 7.5 is identical. In both cases (and the Honda, and most engines of this size, it turns out) have the same 3/4" shaft mounted at the same height.  I have pictures of both the Snow King and Intek Snow mounted on the same blower from folks who have done it. The local Honda dealer has an employee who mounted a GX200 on the same one, to boot, but I have not seen that one.

All of them (and me) were interested in keeping the same extraordinarily robust old Ariens but with a more modern engine. The Honda is more expensive but has 10 ft lbs of torque compared to 6.5 for the B&S. That's a big increase. The Tecumseh torque value is unknown: only answer I've gotten is "same as the Intek Snow."
jubol

Reply #13   Mar 11, 2005 3:30 pm
 Garandman,

I think the Tec engine mount holes are the same on the 7HP as your present 5.

Briggs will require drilling new engine mount holes, with the Tec, bolt it on.

Also check out, Tulsa Engine Warehouse, as they have the drawings of the engines,both Briggs and Tec's, with bolt patterns.                                          

Fred    

This message was modified Mar 11, 2005 by jubol

Husqvarna STE927(11.5HP) snowblower,  MTD Pro Series 18/42 Lawnmower, MTD 6.5 HP  Self Prop Lawn Mower,  Weedeater 1500 Blower, Web Gensis  2000 
Garandman

Reply #14   Mar 12, 2005 6:54 am
The new Tecumseh has the same size bolt pattern - but it's in a different location. The shaft height is the same for all of them. I have a picture a guy sent me that shows the relationship between the old and new. I took the drawings and made a dimensional cutout to see how the replacements would fit, and have pictures of my exact model with a Snow King and an Intek.  The exact same amount of work is required to fit any of the new engines. The exact same amount of work is required to fit any of the new engines.  The exact same amount of work is required to fit any of the new engines.......

I don't need electric start, so hunting around online including ePay, the best delivered prices I have so far:

Tecumseh HMSK 70 w/ 3/4" shaft - $255.
B&S Intek Snow 7.5 w/ 3/4" shaft - $240.
Honda GX200 w/ 3/4" shaft - $355.

Small Engine Warehouse seems to have the best prices overall, and folks who have done busines with them seem satisfied.

This message was modified Mar 12, 2005 by Garandman
Richie

Bring On The White Stuff

Reply #15   Mar 12, 2005 7:05 am
Garandman wrote:

I don't need electric start, so hunting around online including ePay, the best delivered prices I have so far:

Tecumseh HMSK 70 w/ 3/4" shaft - $255.
B&S Intek Snow 7.5 w/ 3/4" shaft - $240.
Honda GX200 w/ 3/4" shaft - $355.

Prices really drop sharply when you don't purchase an engine with the lighting alternator or 110 volt electric starter.  I'd go with the Intec.  If that engine performs as good as it looks, you'll have a winner. 

Richie
jubol

Reply #16   Mar 12, 2005 8:50 am
  Garandman,

If it is the same work for all, I agree with Richie, go with the Briggs Intek.

It should make one heck of a difference.

Also I think you are going to have to change your pulleys , because of the increased HP.

You will be going from a 5 to a 7.5 which is 150% of original!

Fred 

Vangellis

Dream more easy in the chair that really fits you.

Reply #17   Mar 12, 2005 10:25 am
Another option online.   http://engine4less.com/shop/customer/home.php?cat=357

Kevin

Simplicity Conquest
Garandman

Reply #18   Mar 12, 2005 11:43 am
SnowPro wrote:
Tough call, Garandman.  Sounds like you will have to do some fabricating regardless of engine used.  The B&S Intek  would be the engine of choice.  Don't let the numbers fool you. It WILL perform well.

Although..................replacing that machine with a newer one, that could receive a new engine, more easily if needed, is an option you can't ignore.  You may be able to find one that you could get many years of service from, and recoup some cost by selling the old one as is.  There always seems to be someone looking for something to tinker with.

As far as rebuilding goes,IMHO, they usually don't last all that long  that you feel you got your moneys worth.

Ken

That would be simplest, and probably cheapest. But least entertaining.

I have some nostalgic attachment to this unit as my dad bought it new in 1970. It's been extremely well cared for and maintained with new parts as apropriate and is overbuilt in a way modern design science doesn't accomodate. 

None of this makes economic sense. I use this thing 3-8 times a year to clear voluntarily clear sidwalks that I'm not obliged to clear - I just do it to be nice to some neighbors who are elderly, single moms, etc.  Las year I used it twice. So it's mostly for entertainment value.  The used market is pretty well developed around here - $200 to $250 for an old 5hp, $250 to $350 for an old 7hp. The 8hp often sell for less because they're heavier and harder to handle. Newer ones sell for $400 to 600.

The 10 ft lbs of torque on the Honda is appealing. I could paint it  white like the old Tecumseh and cause great puzzlement amongst owners of newer equipment. The folks I've spoken with who've "hot-rodded" them with large frame engines have regretted it because of the need for a different length v-belt and other changes. But the Intek is reasonably priced and may produce as much as 9 ft lbs of torque, so that looks like a prett nice choice. Having something that pollutes less is a good thing, as well.
This message was modified Mar 13, 2005 by Garandman
Garandman

Reply #19   Apr 19, 2005 10:35 am
I bought a B&S Intek Snow 7.5 with electric start & alternator. 

B&S was the most helpful in giving advice about the transplant; the engine seems to perform well; and they have a two year warranty. Tecumseh was responsive but didn't have the pictures and directions B&S offered. Honda would not offer any advice at all and referred me to a local dealer, who quoted me $499 for a GX200. He'd put an 8hp Honda on his Ariens but that's a more difficult change because the crankshaft is a different height. I never got a square answer as to what changes would be required to use a Honda on a snowblower.

Since I had to send the blower housing out for welding anyway, I cut off the bracket for the auger crank handle and will have it welded on to facilitate adding the u-joints required with the new engine. My blower is not the one shown (that's a B&S picture, I believe, but on the smallenginewarehouse site) but is otherwise the same model, so the OHV engine would interfere.

I'm changing the friction disk while I'm waiting, repainting everything, changing to Snow Hog tires, etc.  I bought the Duplicolor Chevy Orange DE1620 as suggested by Itzbinnace, and it does seem to be a perfect match for Ariens Orange.

This message was modified Apr 19, 2005 by Garandman
Replies: 10 - 19 of 43Next page of topicsPreviousNextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42