Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > Replacement snow engine for old Ariens Snowblower - Tecumseh, B&S, Honda?

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
Garandman

Replacement snow engine for old Ariens Snowblower - Tecumseh, B&S, Honda?
Original Message   Mar 10, 2005 5:12 pm
I have an old Ariens snowblower that is in good shape but with a tired engine. I've been looking into a new replacement. The logical candidates seem to be the Tecumseh OHSK70, the B&S Intek 7.5, and the Honda GX200. 

The Honda seems to have the most torque (10 ft lbs) but is also by far the most expensive - $500 versus around $300 for the other two.

I have never seen a torque figure quoted for the Tecumseh, but it seems like the Intek 7.5 is around 7 ft  lbs?

Another engine that I came across was the Robin Subaru EX series, a 7hp OHC engine that has a lot of advanced features but isn't much more than the B&S or Tecumseh. They all have the same crankshaft (3/4") and height (about 4.17").
B&S sent me data sheets on the replacement: the Honda dealer has an employee who did one; and Tecumseh gave me all the dimensions and concerns (mostly about fitting the chute crank under the engine) but they all seem like they'll work.

I live in Boston MA and the current unit is a Tecumseh H50 on a 1970 Ariens. I checked the compression and it's 65 psi on the first pull and 75 psi after 2 or 3 (by hand pull). I do the sidewalks up and down the street for  some older (or lazier) neighbors so the kids can walk to school without walking in the road. The blower is great because it compacts the snow a bit and the biggest problem here after a snowstorm is finding a place to put it. I've used the unit 8 times so far this season.
This message was modified Apr 22, 2005 by Garandman
Replies: 1 - 10 of 43NextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
jubol

Re: Replacement snow engine - Tecumseh, B&S, Honda?
Reply #1   Mar 10, 2005 5:26 pm
  Garandman

Go to Small Engine Warehouse and look  at their engines and prices.

I'd wait till till late summer to do your conversion, warmer and more selection on SB engines.

Also review on this site,Reviews,there is a good   one  on Briggs Intek engines.

Hope this helps.

Fred    

This message was modified Mar 10, 2005 by jubol

Husqvarna STE927(11.5HP) snowblower,  MTD Pro Series 18/42 Lawnmower, MTD 6.5 HP  Self Prop Lawn Mower,  Weedeater 1500 Blower, Web Gensis  2000 
mikefla1

Let's get it!!!

Reply #2   Mar 10, 2005 5:43 pm
Put a Kawasaki on it that thing will throw snow forever lol.Do they even make snowthrowers with  Kaws. on them? 

Exmark 48inch & Bridges 36inch walkbehind, Scotts 21 inch walk behind mower,Husqvarna trimmer and blower, Echo PE200 edger,Weedeater & Stihl HL45C hedge trimmers,Echo CS440 chain saw and a Stihl HT101 power pruner, and a El Cheapo pressure washer.
Majorxlr8n

Reply #3   Mar 10, 2005 6:04 pm
Does the Honda GX200 offer a heat box for winter use? If not, I would dismiss that choice unless you can locate a heat box for it.

Otherwise, many like the Briggs Stratton Intek Snow engine - I believe it offers electric start too where with the Tecumseh the electric starter is extra.

Marty

Garandman

Reply #4   Mar 10, 2005 6:47 pm
The Honda is not offered with a heat box or other Winter configuration. The local guy who put a Honda on his simply removed the air cleaner element and has had no problems with weather and is extremely impressed with the performance of the engine compared to his old H70. My brother has a Honda snowblower so I can take a look at what, if anything, is special for the application.

Small Engine Warehosue does seem to have the best prices. They have some "scratch and dent" engines that are less expensive still. Some pop up on ebay but I'm reluctanct to purchase one  from other than an authorized dealer.

They show a Kawasaki 5 hp and 8 hp and the 8hp doesn't have the correct shaft. That's a little farther afield than I want to go.

I don't need electric start or a headlight, so the provision isn't that useful to me. If a big storm is coming I put the blower in the basement (heated) so starting is not a problem. To boot, I live in Boston so it's not expecially cold, I have a gigantic 40 degree heat reservoir 400 yards away (called the Atlantic). Average snowfall YTD is 37". We've had 83 with more forecast for tomorrow.

I'm not in a rush and will wait until snow season is completely over (April 1) to start, but this is the best tome of year for me to complete the project - Fall is much too busy.
SnowPro

Reply #5   Mar 11, 2005 12:16 am
Hey Garandman!...........Welcome to the forum!

Go read my review and you can see what I think of the B&S engines.

As far as the Honda replacements are concerned,  I checked into that a while back and after I picked myself up off the floor, concerning the price,  I took a pass. They would not warranty the engine after modifying it for snow use, and it seemed impossible for them to get a replacement snow engine????????

Ken

Garandman

Reply #6   Mar 11, 2005 5:59 am
The frustrating thing about the B&S engine is that the spec sheet doesn't work on their website. Somewhere I found a spec sheet with torque values and as I recall it was about 7.5. I've never seen one for Tecumseh.

The Intek does seem like the best balance of price/performance. I'd like to go to the next size engine but the output shaft is higher and the amount of work increases dramatically - you need a new shroud and have to make a bunch of adjustments with a new. longer v belt.. For the Intek or Snow King I just have to drill new mounting holes and move the chute feed so that it clears the housing, and another user has sent me a picture of what he did with his - he added a bracket and a u-joint.
mml4

Snow is good,
Deep snow is better!

Reply #7   Mar 11, 2005 6:26 am
Hi Guys!

Garandman- Take a look at the B&S 20D4140017 or 0019 (different shaft sizes). These are  OHV Snow Inteks WITH cast iron bores. If your Ariens has a 24 inch auger or more this would be a great choice. Simplicity is using an Aluminum bore variant of this engine on their 24" to 32" Pro Models.  

If you go with power other than a direct replacement Tecumsh you are going to have to fiddle with mounting holes,belt size and maybe moving the chute linkage.

Another way would be to find a new short block for the existing engine. Less of a problem for installation and you get to use your "old" style adjustable jet carb.

If you replace with a new Tecumseh L head see if you can use your old carb on that application as the new fixed jet carbs are a pain in the a$$.

Marc   

SnapperV210P,Toro22177,TroyBilt42010Snowthrower,Craftsman Shredder,American Turbo Pressure Washer HondaGX200,Stihl011Saw,EchoPas260Trimmer Edger,EchoPB602Blower,EchoHCR150Hedge Clipper
Garandman

Reply #8   Mar 11, 2005 11:37 am
The short block  for the 5 hp H50 is available, for around $200. I could also recondition the one I have. But I'd like more power so that I can throw snow a bit farther and run in second gear more often. With the current (old) engine I have to run in 1st for anything more than 5-6" of powder or even less if the snow is at all heavy or wet. It seems to me it didn't do a lot better when it was newer. The crankshaft is in the same location and the shaft is the same diameter (or I'd go with a 8hp!) and the new mounting holes aren't any big deal. All I need is one flat sheet metal bracket and a U-joint to change the chute handle - a guy who has done this (with an OHSK70) sent me pictures.

I'm thinking that a new 7.5 hp engine has to be more powerful than a reconditioned L-head 5 hp. Given the small cost differential between the two options the new engine seems attractive. I could buy another used Ariens 7hp and sell mine for only about a $50 delta but thought that going with a new engine was more attractive since I can sell the running 5hp on eBay or the like. I could also buy a 24" 8hp but they weigh more and that wouldn't be helpful for the manuevering I have to do.
This message was modified Mar 11, 2005 by Garandman
SnowPro

Reply #9   Mar 11, 2005 1:37 pm
Tough call, Garandman.  Sounds like you will have to do some fabricating regardless of engine used.  The B&S Intek  would be the engine of choice.  Don't let the numbers fool you. It WILL perform well.

Although..................replacing that machine with a newer one, that could receive a new engine, more easily if needed, is an option you can't ignore.  You may be able to find one that you could get many years of service from, and recoup some cost by selling the old one as is.  There always seems to be someone looking for something to tinker with.

As far as rebuilding goes,IMHO, they usually don't last all that long  that you feel you got your moneys worth.

Ken

jubol

Reply #10   Mar 11, 2005 2:27 pm
Garandman,

Why not go with a Tec OHV 7HP.

With that , I don't  think you would have any bolt up, or foot print  problems.

Fred     

Husqvarna STE927(11.5HP) snowblower,  MTD Pro Series 18/42 Lawnmower, MTD 6.5 HP  Self Prop Lawn Mower,  Weedeater 1500 Blower, Web Gensis  2000 
Replies: 1 - 10 of 43NextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42