Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > Finding the shear pins

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
JayLevitt

Finding the shear pins
Original Message   Mar 9, 2005 4:50 pm
I see a bunch of posts here about removing the broken shear pins.  I never have any trouble with that on my Simplicity.  What I can never do is FIND THE THING!  I'll rotate the auger around, and around, get a flashlight out, wipe the grease off the axle with a scrunched-up paper towel, etc. for half an hour before I can find the outline of the grey metal bolt in the grey metal axle.

Does anyone have any tips for finding them?  Does someone make colored (or even black) shear pins?  I have a rocky driveway, and I'll almost always break a pin in the process of snowblowing.

Jay
Replies: 1 - 1 of 1View as Outline
snowshoveler

tides in dirts out surfs up

Re: Finding the shear pins
Reply #1   Mar 9, 2005 4:58 pm
well any sheer pin or bolt that you use might be COLOURED  but when it breaks its gonna be the same steel grey colour that you are having a problem with now.

so what to do...when you have new pins in ,take a small pin punch and peen a little dimple in each auger right next to the gear box.

you could line it up with a bolt if necessary.

so when you break a sheer bolt now you just rotate the good side to the punch mark and you will know where the broken one is.

sounds complicated but it works sweet.

later chris 

craftsman 10/28 snowblower with tracks   husky 372xpg chainsaw   sachs dolmar bc212 bushsaw   mondo trimmer   monster tractor with trailer    cheep wheelbarro and couple shovels and a partridge in a pear tree 
Replies: 1 - 1 of 1View as Outline
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42