Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > pros/cons 2-cycle vs 4-cycle?

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
seezar

pros/cons 2-cycle vs 4-cycle?
Original Message   Mar 8, 2005 1:45 pm
I apologize if this is an elementary question but I am a new homeowner and do not have alot of knowledge on engines in general.

I have a 1/4 acre lot and plan to do my own lawn maintenance. I've already purchased my mower and am now looking at getting a trimmer.

I've noticied the big difference in gas-powered trimmers seems to be 2-cycle or a 4-cycle engine but I'm not clear what the pros and cons are of each. Also in some of my research I see that some units take straight gas whereas others require a mixture. I'm just completely confused at this point at what to even start looking for. I dont have a large lot that requires a tremendous amount of trimming but I want to purchase a unit that will be durable and most fit my needs. Maybe my needs would be better suited with an electric model?

Any explanations and advice would be greatly appreciated.
This message was modified Mar 8, 2005 by seezar
Replies: 29 - 38 of 38Next page of topicsPreviousAllView as Outline
SnowPro

Re: pros/cons 2-cycle vs 4-cycle?
Reply #29   Mar 10, 2005 11:51 pm
Terp wrote:

I had been considering the Honda units, but had some concerns. 

Also, liked a Husky model I saw - 326.

I have to say that after having the Honda dealer practically begging me to try one out, I was really expecting something.  What a let down!   I was not impressed with the handling at all, and I think Snowshoveler sums it up about this move to 4 stroke technology.  Also, I don't know of ANYONE, either in person, or on the net that uses a Honda trimmer commercially.

I havn't had a chance to run one of the Husky 326's yet, but I have handled them and checked them out quite closely and they seem to be well made.  It is light but strong where it needs it.  I know of some other maintenance guys that have them and I havn't heard any complaints.

Ken

snowshoveler

tides in dirts out surfs up

Reply #30   Mar 11, 2005 4:55 pm
hey guys the husky 326 is a very nice machine and if you want the edger ,just buy the split boom unit and then get any extra tools you want.

we sold the earlier version 325 as fast as we could get them...around 30 or 40 a year and thats a lot in a small shop like ours.

have next to no trouble with them...they have the green gas cap i beleive which means they have a cat in the exhaust ,makes them a bit cleaner .

they always start well and have lotsa power.

i dont usually bragg up the stuff we sell cause it seems like im pushing product and thats not right .but if you ask i will fess up.

later chris

craftsman 10/28 snowblower with tracks   husky 372xpg chainsaw   sachs dolmar bc212 bushsaw   mondo trimmer   monster tractor with trailer    cheep wheelbarro and couple shovels and a partridge in a pear tree 
Richie

Bring On The White Stuff

Reply #31   Mar 11, 2005 10:56 pm
snowshoveler wrote:

did you know that fuel injected  2 strokes have been tested to run at a mix equal to 400 to 1. they are variable ratio oil injected ...changes with load and rpm.

Chris,

You should check out Evinrudes new E-TEC direct injection 2-stroke engine.  The R&D that went into it is just amazing.  The technology is here, it's just a matter of the consumer needing to scream for it, or the EPA to really come down hard on the OPE industry to mandate it.    I'd love to see technology like that for snowblowers. 

Richie
Marshall

As Long As There Are Tests, There Will Be Prayer In Public Schools. ;- )

Reply #32   Mar 11, 2005 11:25 pm
Richie wrote:
Chris,

You should check out Evinrudes new E-TEC direct injection 2-stroke engine.  The R&D that went into it is just amazing.  The technology is here, it's just a matter of the consumer needing to scream for it, or the EPA to really come down hard on the OPE industry to mandate it.    I'd love to see technology like that for snowblowers. 

I know this is not 2 vs 4 cycle but you got into Outboards and it took me here. LOL 

Check it out, wouldn't your 24" runabout just haul ass with one of these..........

Mercury HP1075 SCi

HP: 1075
kW: 790
Full Throttle RPM Range: 5600-6000
Displacement Liter/CID: 9.1/557
Bore & Stroke (in): 4.50 x 4.375
Bore & Stroke (mm): 114 x 111
Compression Ratio: 8.00:1
Cylinders: V-8
Alternator Amp: 65
Alternator Watt: 917
Ignition System: PCM 03 Distributorless
Fuel System: Sequential Fuel Injection
Fuel Requirements: 91 Posted Octane (R+M)/2 (98 RON) International
Transmission: Huber 1450 Series
Drive Unit: Dry-Sump Six Drive
Gear Ratio: 1.15:1, 1.24:1, 1.35:1, 1.42:1, 1.50:1 or 1.61:1 (right- or left-hand)
Length (in/mm): 55/1397
Width (in/mm): 40/1016 (w/CMI Exhaust System)
Height (in/mm): 30/762
Weight (lbs / kg): 1720/782
Warranty: 90-day limited for recreational boating

HP1075 SCi

Mercury Racing is pleased to announce the release of the HP1075 SCi sterndrive - the world’s most advanced big block performance sterndrive and latest innovation to come from the world leaders in advanced marine propulsion systems.

The Mercury exclusive Propulsion Control Module (PCM) 03 microprocessor is the brain behind the brawn, giving this monster motor a friendly personality. Based on a high performance 557-cubic inch V-8 cylinder block, the 1075 SCi features a pair of Lysholm twin screw super chargers with multiport fuel injection (two injectors per cylinder). This combination provides sport boaters with turn-key starting, great overall running quality and incredibly smooth idle quality for a high horsepower big block. The engine’s 800 RPM idle speed makes shifting into and out of gear smooth as silk, making docking much easier with less chance of stalling and other low-RPM drawbacks normally associated with big horsepower.

Mercury Racing, along with its parent company Mercury Marine, is the first marine engine manufacturer to be ISO 9001:2000 certified. The ISO certification is a reflection of Mercury Racing’s high standards and dedication to continue its leadership position in the marine industry. No other high performance marine engine manufacturer puts more time and attention to detail into product development. All products undergo numerous hours of grueling validation tests before they receive the Mercury Racing name.

The 1075 SCi is the first engine to be accredited by Mercury Racing’s TEAM (Total Engine Application Management) initiative. The standardized TEAM process ensures proper installation of the engine with factory-specified components, providing maximum performance along with unmatched quality and durability. The 1075 SCi will only be sold to accredited OEM boat builders and dealers.

Mercury Racing engineers designed the 1075 SCi for ease of installation. Every component is strategically placed with an end package that is as compact as possible. The twin screw compressors, which require less power than traditional roots blowers, sit on a corrosion resistant charge air cooler and induction system designed exclusively by Mercury Racing. Their low-profile design helps to reduce overall engine height and center of gravity. In fact, the 1075 SCi is eight inches shorter than the HP900 SC Dry-Sump, allowing boat builders to replace air scoops for sun pads.

Super charger induction noise levels are controlled by twin carbon fiber Helmholtz air inlet resonators. Twin flame arrestors act also as air filters, keeping the engine’s air induction system clean and efficient.

Super charger boost is variable. A boost bypass control valve, electronically activated by the PCM 03 microprocessor, continuously adjusts the amount of boost needed to provide consistent horsepower. Under optimum ambient conditions, the boost bypass control valve will open to adjust for the lower boost required to obtain 1075 horsepower. The PCM 03 controller closes the bypass control valve, to provide the additional boost required to maintain a consistent 1075 horsepower when operating in sub-optimal running conditions and limited higher altitude environments. The 1075 SCi’s ability to provide a consistent horsepower in any condition or locale eliminates the hassle of re-propping the boat to match conditions. The PCM 03 computer also enables individual cylinder control. This ability to optimize fuel, spark timing and knock control independently for each cylinder enhances engine running quality, performance, fuel economy, and durability. The use of eight independent ignition coils, one per cylinder, helps eliminate spark plug fouling.

The 1075 SCi comes equipped with the digital SmartCraft Controller Area Network (CAN) system, a network of sensors that proactively monitor engine functions. The next wave in boating, SmartCraft Integrated Marine Technology from Mercury links power, controls and internal and external sensors to provide precise data on all boat functions at a glance. The system monitors a variety of vital engine functions including fuel flow, fuel range, fuel used, and RPM, along with water depth, trim angle, water pressure and battery voltage. Boat functions monitored include fuel tank levels and water and waste tank levels. The CAN enables the PCM 03 to communicate data to optional SmartCraft SC5000 System View and System Link gauges for real-time data on multiple engine and boat functions.
The PCM 03 also drives the exclusive Engine Guardian™ System. Engine Guardian monitors engine functions to forewarn of possible problems that could lead to engine damage. This “smart” technology not only detects and alerts the boater of a problem; it processes the data and reduces power to a maximum, safe level that allows the boater to continue operation. Engine Guardian also has the ability to proactively help prevent engine overheating by sensing not only engine temperature but cooling water pressure as well. By sensing water pressure, and temperature, the system can provide advanced warning to the PCM 03 control module, which then reduces engine power before temperature related engine damage takes place.

Similar to the Mercury Racing Super Cat and Super V offshore race engines, the 1075 SCi features a dry-sump lubrication system. Three scavenge pumps and one pressure pump keep oil off the crankshaft, reducing friction for enhanced power and performance. A remote oil tank separates air from the oil and gives it time to settle, providing the pressure pump with a constant supply of oil. The oil tank also reduces foaming, improving overall oil lubrication, even in the most adverse sea conditions.

Custom sealing systems, developed by Mercury Racing, enhance engine durability. The use of corrosion-resistant engine components and treatments enhance engine quality and protection against the corrosive saltwater environment.
An all-new, thermostatically-controlled, high-velocity cooling system uses a combination of a circulating pump and sea pump to keep the engine at an optimal operating temperature and peak performance. The system utilizes a three-stage sea pump. Two stages feed cooling water to the engine block and cylinder heads while the third stage feeds the charger air cooler.

Longer valve train life is the result of Mercury Racing dynamic optimization utilizing in-house valve train dynamics test rig.

A high-output, 65-amp alternator provides increased power at idle and full power. The increased charging capacity makes running a variety of electronic accessories worry-free.

The 1075 SCi is built from the bare block to completion in Mercury Racing's four-cycle Race Shop. Technicians use specialized components throughout the engine, from the heavy-duty valve train to the custom fabricated steel oil pan. Engine packages come standard with the Mercury Racing dry-sump Six drive.

Mercury Racing

Richie

Bring On The White Stuff

Reply #33   Mar 12, 2005 7:25 am
Marshall wrote:
I know this is not 2 vs 4 cycle but you got into Outboards and it took me here. LOL 

Hi Marshall,

Exactly my point.  I was amazed at how efficient Evinrude's technology is, not to mention they actually raised the bar on 2-stokes.  I only wish our OPE 4-strokes engines could also be brought into 2005 as well.  I'd certainly expect to pay more for a machine, but you can't beat an efficient combustion chamber design.  I'd like to see carburetors disappear altogether and a more efficient piston and cylinder head design as well.   Ski-doo and Artic Cat snowmobiles have been very successful using two types of fuel injection on their 2-stokes, I'm sure it's a matter of time before the OPE industry catches up.  It will require a new engine design as soon as some of the newer emission standards start kicking in. 

Richie
snowshoveler

tides in dirts out surfs up

Reply #34   Mar 12, 2005 10:50 am
thats exactly my point guys...

i used to be in the marine industry and was certified for OMC as well as mercury and mercruiser.

have you ever heard a 900sc mercruiser (predecessor to the one marshall posted)just sitting there idling.was the sweetest thing i ever heard...and i got to work on it.

which brings me to my point.

the 2 strokes can make lots of power and burn cleaner than a lot of 4 strokes ,the technology is  there .we are just waiting to have it .

later chris

craftsman 10/28 snowblower with tracks   husky 372xpg chainsaw   sachs dolmar bc212 bushsaw   mondo trimmer   monster tractor with trailer    cheep wheelbarro and couple shovels and a partridge in a pear tree 
Marshall

Reply #35   Mar 12, 2005 11:31 am
Too bad Evinrude didn't compare their H.O. 225 E-Tec against Merc's OptiMax 225 Pro SX.

robmints

Reply #36   Mar 12, 2005 12:04 pm

I know I have lost my mind. But after having 2 strokes from a 5 HP Wizard to a 200 Yamaha to now a 140 Johnson, if the Johnson ever wore out, I would look at this Honda. The only thing I like better about the 4 stroke outboards is they are quiet.
jubol

Reply #37   Mar 12, 2005 12:09 pm

Rob,

I think the 4 stroke outboards also get a little better fuel consumption rate.

Fred   

Husqvarna STE927(11.5HP) snowblower,  MTD Pro Series 18/42 Lawnmower, MTD 6.5 HP  Self Prop Lawn Mower,  Weedeater 1500 Blower, Web Gensis  2000 
Marshall

Reply #38   Mar 12, 2005 12:54 pm
Rob, those Honda's are darn nice engines for family pleasure boating! Great fuel economy, quiet and reliable.
Replies: 29 - 38 of 38Next page of topicsPreviousAllView as Outline
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42