Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > Engine break-in article - how valid is this approach?

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
JohnEDavies

Engine break-in article - how valid is this approach?
Original Message   Mar 6, 2005 12:22 pm
http://www.mototuneusa.com/break_in_secrets.htm

If his claims are correct, then "running in" the belts on your new Ariens snow thrower is probably very bad for your engine's break-in. The author stresses that the first few minutes (or miles) of operation are critical to proper break-in - he recommends NO prolonged warm ups and lots of short bursts of full power. That is kind of hard to do when throwing snow.....

Comments?

John
Replies: 1 - 4 of 4View as Outline
boblloyd

"Forty-two," said Deep Thought, with infinite majesty and calm.

Re: Engine break-in article - how valid is this approach?
Reply #1   Mar 6, 2005 1:06 pm
His "evidence" is just a collection of personal anecdotes mostly about racing engines and is in no way a scientific study.  Modern motors should not need much special handling during break-in but I'd follow manufacturer's recommendations not his advice.  He does not cite his professional qualifications or even his real name.   -Bob 
ChrisS

Appreciate what you have already been blessed with.

Reply #2   Mar 6, 2005 1:16 pm
I agree with Bob,

Run it like you use it, you really have no choice with these machines as you already mentioned.  Change the oil after 5-10 hours and you are good to go.

The first storm I tackled with my Honda was frozen heavy sloppy snow, it was brutal, to this day it is one of the hardest storms I have ever fought and it was the FIRST TIME I used the machine.  What choice did I have?  None, I never looked back nor has my Honda, we are both doing great today lol.....

C

Honda 928TA, Ariens 924 STE, Toro single stage S-620, 95 Jeep Wrangler with a 6 foot Fisher Plow, many shovels, one 14 year old boy.  Craftsman 01 1000 LTX pimp Gold LT 20hp Briggs OHV V-twin.  Tough as it is ugly.
SnowPro

Reply #3   Mar 7, 2005 2:56 pm
Got to agree with Chris here.  What are you going to do.............blow a little bit.........shovel a little bit.........etc!

Ken

snowshoveler

tides in dirts out surfs up

Reply #4   Mar 7, 2005 5:35 pm
use it like it was ment to be used for 1 snowstorm and then check out the belts and other adjustments that are specific to your machine .then hope for more snow,change oil when your supposed to.

pretty hard to do anything else but...

later chris

craftsman 10/28 snowblower with tracks   husky 372xpg chainsaw   sachs dolmar bc212 bushsaw   mondo trimmer   monster tractor with trailer    cheep wheelbarro and couple shovels and a partridge in a pear tree 
Replies: 1 - 4 of 4View as Outline
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42