Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > Need help with single stage blower

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
Willys

Need help with single stage blower
Original Message   Mar 5, 2005 12:43 pm
Hi Guys:

I'm new here and really need some help. I'm in the process of trying to mate a single stage blower to my ATV using a separate motor to run the blower. The question is....at what speed does the blower auger need to run at? RPM wise. It is a 40" wide 18" high blower. I need it to be able to blow snow about 15 plus feet. I don't know what make the blower is but it is almost new and came off of a Murrey tractor I believe but could be wrong. It is black in colour with chute controls on the left, with no name plate on the blower itself. If I can get the blower final RPM speed then I can figure out what HP motor I need to run it and at what speed.

Thanks for your help.

Willys

Replies: 1 - 8 of 8View as Outline
snowshoveler

tides in dirts out surfs up

Re: Need help with single stage blower
Reply #1   Mar 5, 2005 1:09 pm
hi willys...

you will need at least 10 horsepower to run this,if you check around this forum you will note the 9 horse intek snow engine by briggs is really a12 horse. i would reccomend this engine for your application. your going to need a snow engine an this fits.it comes with 120 volt electric start which you dont need and could sell to offset some of the price.

as for rpm your engine will turn approx 3600 rpm (most do) and the engine pulley is usually 3 inches  and the driven pulley is usually 8 inches ,but some are considerably larger.

with your setup having a single stage it already has a set of pulleys on it i beleive.and the tractor it came from usually has a 6 inch pto pulley.

there is a member  here MILLWRIGHT that knows everything there is to know about drives and such.if you tell us what size your setup has now he should  be able to help with the engine pulley.

later chris        

craftsman 10/28 snowblower with tracks   husky 372xpg chainsaw   sachs dolmar bc212 bushsaw   mondo trimmer   monster tractor with trailer    cheep wheelbarro and couple shovels and a partridge in a pear tree 
jubol

Reply #2   Mar 5, 2005 1:39 pm
 Willys,

Welcome to the forum.

Check out ,  "Small Engine Warehouse", for a replacement engine.

Their prices are very good on snow engines!

Hope this helps you.

Fred         

Husqvarna STE927(11.5HP) snowblower,  MTD Pro Series 18/42 Lawnmower, MTD 6.5 HP  Self Prop Lawn Mower,  Weedeater 1500 Blower, Web Gensis  2000 
Willys

Reply #3   Mar 5, 2005 1:43 pm
Hi:

The pulley size on the motor is 3" and the pulley size on the blower is 6" therefore tha blower will turn around 1800rpms. But at what rate of rpms does the blower require to run at? That is to run properly, to throw snow the wanted 15 plus feet?  I need to build a idler shaft to transfer the location of the pulleys to keep the engine away from the ATV as far as possible so I can adjust the rpms to whatever is needed. I can't seem to find out the rpm speed of the blower fron any of the blower sites which would answer all of my problems.

Thanking you in advance

Willys

robmints

Reply #4   Mar 5, 2005 2:32 pm
If I were you, I would go to Sears and look at the pulley sizes on the tractors with the single stage blowers and make yours spin the same speed. Make sure to check the engine speed of the tractor. Many many engines are 3400-3600, but not all.

It is a horzontal shaft blower?  Do you have some pics you can post?
Willys

Reply #5   Mar 5, 2005 2:40 pm
Hi guys:

The blower is a horizontal drive unit. It came off of a 16 hp tractor I would expect. I don't have any pics yet.

Isn't there anywhere  around that would give blower RPM specs? There must be a required or optimen Rpm that all blowers run at of that size etc. This is really a simple thing if you are in the know so to speak.  Obviously I'm not in the know!   lol

Thanks again

Willys

solara

Reply #6   Mar 5, 2005 4:13 pm
chris,  even if all simplicitys 9-12 are 12 hp......i do not believe that if u bought a 9hp b&s engine that u were receiving a down labelled 12hp.

and chris in response to your question as to prices the only ope store that i went  into revently (watertown, ma) had bicycles and a couple of used machines.  nothing new left

2004-2005 Ariens 11528LE
Jacobsen snow-burst
skyking3

Reply #7   Mar 6, 2005 8:12 pm
hi willys and welcome ,

my deere has an 18" by 36" auger housing and has an 4 1/4" pulley on the engine and an 8" pulley on the outside of the blower housing............

the 8" pulley on the outside of the housing is on a shaft that connects to a 3" gear inside the housing ....the chain runs to an 7 1/4" gear on the auger shaft...................

the engine runs at 3600 rpm........................and i can toss snow almost 20'

if you need the teeth count on the gears i can check that for you , let me know...............

hope this helps you some,

bill

ps............. this tractor came with an 8 hp kohler but after  using it , i would recommend bigger...........

walbroman

Clean Carb Clean Machine

Reply #8   Mar 7, 2005 12:03 am
I will go with 3 inches and 5 inches to make the thing blow enough

Replies: 1 - 8 of 8View as Outline
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42