Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > Conversation with Simplicity

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
mml4

Snow is good,
Deep snow is better!

Conversation with Simplicity
Original Message   Feb 21, 2005 3:59 pm
Hi guys,

Called Briggs with the spec # on the Simplicity I am looking at . The guy was very nice!! Called me back and spent a lot of time  but couldn't find the exact # I gave him. He said he was 90% sure the spec# I gave him  is an aluminum bore engine. What he was able to give me was the Phone # for Simplicity which I couldn't get on Friday. For you Simplicity fans the #is (262)284-8669.Hit 2 on your phone after you get through to get to the tech dept. Real interesting conversation with that gentleman.

1)All the engines in the large frame line are the same except for the 13hp unit."If you buy the the 9560E,1060DLXE,1170Eor 1280E you get the same engine."

When I asked him why he said it's more cost effective to power everything with the 12hp engine than to buy different engines for each model. He was very specific about saying the engine is the 12. The stickers are different.

2)" All the engines are aluminum bore models because they are the same engine" Simplicity chose to go with aluminum bore because they run cooler and in an environment absent of dust and dirt the cast iron isn't necessary.Today"s Aluminum alloys wear very well under winter conditions according to their tests."

3)"I should consider using the Briggs synthetic oil because it doubles  the life of the warranty. There is a chemical dye in the oil that colors the internal parts of the engine. If you have a failure they check for the color and you get a replacement." Sounds like a good deal to me.

4)He suggested using Simplicity part #1704636 to lubricate the gearbox. Infomed me that it is really a Snapper lubricant and that when Simplicity bought Snapper they found it worked very well. Said it doesen't thicken in the cold as much as other gear oils.

I pressed him a little on the aluminum bore issue reminding him that Simplicity used cast iron bore Tecumsehs before Briggs bought the company. He said that the purchase by Briggs had nothing to do with it.Simplicity started using Briggs three years ago when the Snow Intek first came out. He reminded me this was before Simplicity was bought by Briggs.When I asked him why the change he said there were too many issues with the Tecumseh carburetors .

I went to the Briggs web site and spent some time looking at their replacement engine spec. book. Sure enough there are 9,10 and 11 hp. engines of the same displacement. To further confuse/enlighten me they listed engines of the same horse power that have different displacements.And to further confuse the issue Briggs does not list a 12 hp engine. 

I have a headache,

Marc

This message was modified Mar 2, 2005 by mml4

SnapperV210P,Toro22177,TroyBilt42010Snowthrower,Craftsman Shredder,American Turbo Pressure Washer HondaGX200,Stihl011Saw,EchoPas260Trimmer Edger,EchoPB602Blower,EchoHCR150Hedge Clipper
Replies: 146 - 155 of 156Next page of topicsPreviousNextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
Ben07

The more you know about something, the more you find there is to know.

Re: Conversation with Simplicity
Reply #146   Mar 5, 2005 12:30 pm

First how about the coincidence that different companies do this Downlabeling almost in the same range of horsepower as the other company.  (Different engine manufacturer also)

Second  What do they stand to loose if they label them correctly

Third  Where is the emission police here.  (you got a person who needs an 8, sell him a 12.  all the expensive emission junk on the 12 ain't gonna make up for that)

Maybe someone ought to call the emission police to get their take on this

Why don't they just badge them all as 12 horsepower. (the truth, no guesswork, no potential rip-off, less problems)

You know the old saying, telling one little lie just leads to another, and another etc.

So what do they loose if they tell the truth.  One thing for sure is profit.  They loose money.  If they lie they sell more options on higher end models.  Here is an example quoted from Robmitts

Lets say someone does not want handwarmers, and does not care about the tire size. But their main and only     concern      was available power. If they pay more for the power because the machines are badged the way they seem to be, they are being deceived

So the customer who needs more power, but can't actually afford it, has to seemingly buy the bigger model and gets hand warmers and drift cutters jammed down his throat  because he thinks he is getting more power . when he is not. Great marketing technique, 

Yes it gets them more money

Does it keep the cost down for all? 

It may keep the cost down, but what they are doing in this case is robbing from the poor and giving it to the rich.

(gotta be a politicion involved somewhere) J/K

Does anybody else see other detramints to them (the manufacturers) actually advertizing them correctly.

Another big problem I have is I really don't see how they could be doing this unless it is a hidden secret agreement across the board between companies.  Things are so competitive that all would have to happen is for one company to do it in a different range of HP than another.  So the dealer selling a customer a 5hp unit may say hey this is really a 8  so don't go to the other brand cause ours has more horsepower, and your actually getting it for free.  

Ben07

This message was modified Mar 5, 2005 by Ben07

Ariens 8524LE, Toro CCR2000, Jacobsen S-B S-blowers, Generac 10hp Gen-convt. to N.G., 5 L-boys(D's F's &Dura( 74,77,80,88,00), Antiq. 1960 AYP 20 in. mag w 3.5 Tech mower. Ryan/Ryobi gas Trim. AYP 205 gas blwr. Mac c-saw,Toro E-blwr, 2 Weed-E e. stg. trims. outboards, boats, util trail, 2 Jeeps 
jubol

Reply #147   Mar 6, 2005 8:23 am
 Hi,

For info on Briggs and Tec engine parts by spec and model number, go to " Outdoordristributors.com"

I checked what the difference was by part nunber between a Tec OHV 9 and 11 HP.

I checked on the parts I thought would effect HP

Checked the following parts: Crankshaft, piston assmbly, Con rod, Head, Camshaft, Valves in and out, and carb.

They were perfect matches, same part numbers for the 9 and 11.

So I must assume Tecumseh is doing the same as Briggs!!!

So my new blower with a 9 HP label on it is really an 11 ! ! 

When I put on the adjustable carb, should make it a11.5 HP engine.

This message was modified Mar 6, 2005 by jubol

Husqvarna STE927(11.5HP) snowblower,  MTD Pro Series 18/42 Lawnmower, MTD 6.5 HP  Self Prop Lawn Mower,  Weedeater 1500 Blower, Web Gensis  2000 
MissSnowshoveler

If you don't have free speech, what do you have?

Reply #148   Mar 6, 2005 8:44 am
Have you checked the head gasket numbers??  That's how Tecumseh changes it's HP.

Sherri

If you don't have free speech, what do you have?
cleanmaxx_brian

"At least I am enjoying the ride"

Reply #149   Mar 12, 2005 10:52 pm
So what is the latest on the Tecumseh engines? Are they all the same as well???

Brian Chang

Ariens 8526LE, Bradley 32" 12.5HP walk behind mower, Echo BP200 blower, Troy Built 4.5HP Pressure Washer,  Craftsman 4.5HP Yard Vac, Homelite line trimmer, Scotts 21" high wheel mower, MTD 3.5HP Edger.

cleanmaxx_brian

Reply #150   Mar 12, 2005 11:39 pm
Well after research, it apears the Ariens does NOT play the same games.  The part number for the head gaskets are indeed different.

Brian Chang

Ariens 8526LE, Bradley 32" 12.5HP walk behind mower, Echo BP200 blower, Troy Built 4.5HP Pressure Washer,  Craftsman 4.5HP Yard Vac, Homelite line trimmer, Scotts 21" high wheel mower, MTD 3.5HP Edger.

cleanmaxx_brian

Reply #151   Mar 13, 2005 1:30 am
I also found all of this good info while searching here...

Richie

Bring On The White Stuff

Re: Tecumseh Engine Horse Power Rating Discovery
Reply #51   Jan 28, 2005 10:04 am
Quote Quote
Hi folks,

This is a quote from a friend who deals with Tecumseh engines.  He too has been trying to get a few questions answered for me and spoke with a Tecumseh rep yeserday.  Below is what he was told by a different tech than I spoke with.  

Richie this is straight from Tecumseh engineers. There is no difference between a 8 thru 11 hp Tecumseh snowblower carb . The difference is in the intakes and valves. But there is no difference in the carbs. Don.

Richie
Richie

Bring On The White Stuff

Re: Tecumseh Engine Horse Power Rating Discovery
Reply #52   Jan 29, 2005 2:18 pm
Quote Quote
I got tired of getting different answers from different Techs at Tecumseh, so I did the research on my own to find the difference, at least comparing the differences between an 8 or 9 hp L-head to a 10 hp L-head.

Everything is the same on an 8-10, including carburetor, jetting, head, crank, exhaust valve, intake valve, cam shaft.  The difference is that the piston and connecting rod are different.  I was also told from a mechanic that works on these engines that the Tecumseh 11 hp OHV engine uses a new cheaper type of carburetor.  So, is it really worth the extra money for a 10 hp L-head, that is up to the buyer.  Is it worth the extra money for the 11 hp OHV engine, I'd always prefer an OHV over an L-head.  Just depends on how deep your pockets are.

Richie

Brian Chang

Marshall

As Long As There Are Tests, There Will Be Prayer In Public Schools. ;- )

Reply #152   Mar 18, 2005 5:27 pm
OK, lets say I want the least expensive 12 HP Briggs Intek mounted snow blower, I don't care what brand of chassis,  what do I buy? 
snowshoveler

tides in dirts out surfs up

Reply #153   Mar 18, 2005 5:54 pm
okay you asked for it...ha ha

in canada your new snowblower would be a snapper with a 24 inch cut,and it would say 9 horse.

later chris

craftsman 10/28 snowblower with tracks   husky 372xpg chainsaw   sachs dolmar bc212 bushsaw   mondo trimmer   monster tractor with trailer    cheep wheelbarro and couple shovels and a partridge in a pear tree 
Marshall

As Long As There Are Tests, There Will Be Prayer In Public Schools. ;- )

Reply #154   Mar 18, 2005 9:50 pm
LOL  I just hated to see the thread die.
bevans

tougher than the elements...everything in Wisconsin is

Reply #155   Feb 9, 2010 10:58 pm
WOW.....!!!!      is all I can say...........what a thread...
Replies: 146 - 155 of 156Next page of topicsPreviousNextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42