Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > Toro 2 stage 828 thru 1128 models

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
kevintree

Toro 2 stage 828 thru 1128 models
Original Message   Mar 2, 2005 6:28 pm
Here on Long Island last two storms 5" to 7" snow quickly turned to slush.

I was using a Ariens 1128 and did so so by putting it into high (fast) gear to blow snow/slush.

Are Toro units any better in this sitation?

TIA

Kevin

PS Richie how was your 828LXE??

Replies: 1 - 25 of 25View as Outline
Richie

Bring On The White Stuff

Re: Toro 2 stage 828 thru 1128 models
Reply #1   Mar 2, 2005 7:58 pm
Hi Kevin,

The biggest surprise to me with this machine has always been the fact how well it throws in ANY snow conditions.  Wet or light snow, 2" or 12" there is very little difference even when blowing in the slowest speed.  For some reason, it hasn't been necessary to use a fast ground speed to keep the auger full in order to get proper throwing from this snowblower.  I've purposely tried to clog it up, whether using a fast forward gear or simply in 1st gear, and I was unable get it to clog or even come close to it.  I can only assume Toro's auger/chute design is what it's cracked up to be.  This has never been the case with any other snowblower I've used to date and I'm sure Toro already knows this because they don't sell it with an unclogging stick.

The highest forward gear being, 6th gear, is far too fast to blow snow because I don't like having jog when doing my driveway.  The machine does such a good job, I actually only use 1st gear which moves the machine along at the perfect pace.  It has always been my experience that I've had to use higher forward speeds with any other machine to get decent throw distance, this Toro does it in any gear.  Ever since I replaced the carburetor and adjusted the governor, I feel I could not have done better with any other machine out there.  Hope this helps.

Richie
robmints

Reply #2   Mar 2, 2005 8:14 pm
Richie wrote:

I've purposely tried to clog it up, whether using a fast forward gear or simply in 1st gear, and I was unable get it to clog or even come close to it.  I can only assume Toro's auger/chute design is what it's cracked up to be.  This has never been the case with any other snowblower I've used to date and I'm sure Toro already knows this because they don't sell it with an unclogging stick.

That is good to hear. I think Toro has had more than a few people not buy their machine because of the plastic. But the shape and design benefits of the plastic seem to be proving to be worthwhile to some owners.

But $1250 for the machine and $80 for a carb, plus the time and tinkering. You might not be the average bear, Ritchie. I would not mind doing what you did ,not that I could. And I guess many here would not mind, but it sure would be nice if the the machines ran like they should without the carb swap.

Is this some benefit that is inherent to OHV engines? Do they EPA better than L heads? Besides left over 2005s, do you think the L heads will be available next year?
snowshoveler

tides in dirts out surfs up

Reply #3   Mar 2, 2005 8:17 pm
hi Richie...

the un cloging stick is a liability thing.

this is the reason many manufactures switched from a steel chute to a plastic one.

people still stick there hand in there with the machine running.

and thats why they are missing fingers...or worse.

the little stick dosent make it any better machine ,it just helps keep the lawyers away.

and there have been a lot of them.

sears got hit really bad for a while.

this is the reason pushmowers stop when you let go of the handle,and tractors stop when you get off them.

we have to make this stuff idiot proof.

ill get off my soap box now ...sorry for the bla bla

later chris

craftsman 10/28 snowblower with tracks   husky 372xpg chainsaw   sachs dolmar bc212 bushsaw   mondo trimmer   monster tractor with trailer    cheep wheelbarro and couple shovels and a partridge in a pear tree 
AZinOH

Those who accept self-deception will perish by it.
Shakespeare said "to thine own self be true".

Reply #4   Mar 2, 2005 8:56 pm
What surprised me most about my 726 is that it throws to the left (against the turn of the impeller) almost as well as it does to the right. And I love using the Quick Stik to turn the chute through the full 200 degree arc. I live on a somehat busy country road, and I continue to get a kick out of folks turning to stare as they drive by at that plume of snow coming from the Toro.

AZ

Snowblower...Toro Power Max 726te 2004

Lawn tractor...AYP w/ 14.5 Briggs-42in 2000

faithfulFrank

He is no fool who gives up what he cannot keep
to gain what he cannot lose....

Reply #5   Mar 2, 2005 9:52 pm
I'm sure that Toro is a fine unit.......I had a Toro 724 for 20 years.
I just have to comment on the shovel/stick thing.......
My Ariens 13hp 32" snowblower has never clogged.....or bogged down......it throws unbelieveably far.........BUT, it comes with a nice shovel/stick.
I am convinced that it is a Lawyer-induced option.........

One cannot make the statement that not having or having a shovel/stick  reflects on the quality of the unit.  That is just illogical thinking.

Please, I am not Toro bashing, and I am not pushing Ariens.......I'm just saying that the shovel/stick is a lawyer thing...period.

Frank D.

Ariens 1332DLE Pro, Exmark 52" HP ZTR, Gardian Generac generator, Shindiawa T230  Excell/Honda PW, Craftsman rototiller, Favorite IPE- My Mac + Ipod- No Windoze for me!
Richie

Bring On The White Stuff

Reply #6   Mar 2, 2005 9:56 pm
Hey Rob,

I'm guilty and must agree 100% with you when it comes to being a bit different from the average OPE user.  I doubt there are many that would go to such lengths to fine tune the engine on their snowblower as I have.  I am experienced in this area, so it isn't a big deal or chore for me.  I actually considered it a challenge at one point to see if it was possible to get one of these new snowblowers to run great. 

As for the polypropylene chute assembly, well, you may be correct about the reason some have passed on Toro's snowblowers because they prefer a steel chute, but I lean a bit more to the fact that many don't buy Toro because it isn't American made, which is very important these days and is my only regret with this snowblower.  However, I don't want anyone to think of me as a traitor.  The dealer I purchased from was American and a local dealer at that, so I was very happy to contribute to his rent.  It's unfortunate because some that pass on it may not entirely realize that American dealers are selling them, not to mention what an amazing snowblower it is.

As for the extra money for the carburetor, I would have had to do this no matter what I purchased, at least I believe I would have.  Even my 5 HP OHV Honda powered pressure washer surges in addition to my Briggs 8.5 HP L-head on my Sears chipper shredder.  I was at least able to prove to myself that the surging has nothing to do with the winter grade gasoline, enabling me to zone right in on the EPA carburetors.  The engine surging I've experienced with my summer equipment is just a minor inconvenience to me, but on my snowblower, I will not tolerate it and felt I had to undo the patch work on these new carbs to make it right. 

I too wish they ran correctly and perhaps the Briggs & Stratton engines that come on other brand machines might run better, due to the engines being a new design, and designed from the start with the EPA in mind, rather than take an old design and try to modify it to make the EPA happy.  I can't say if or when the L-heads will be phased out, but mine runs great with very little vibration.  I wouldn't have a problem with purchasing a piece of OPE that came with a L-head engine.  

At this point, I've made it very obvious on other threads I'm not impressed with any of the performance ratings on any of these engines.  For me to go out of my way to purchase an OHV engine on some future equipment is just going to cost me a lot more money and I don't see the need for it.  Besides, I've run these L-head engines at the track, ungoverned, at RPM's that would make you cringe, and they hold up great.    

Richie
Marshall

As Long As There Are Tests, There Will Be Prayer In Public Schools. ;- )

Reply #7   Mar 2, 2005 10:08 pm
Another Lawyer Stick             

Richie

Bring On The White Stuff

Reply #8   Mar 2, 2005 10:37 pm
AZinOH wrote:
What surprised me most about my 726 is that it throws to the left (against the turn of the impeller) almost as well as it does to the right.

AZ,

It's funny you mention that because I noticed that same thing recently.  In fact, if someone asked me which direction the machine throws the best, I really wouldn't be able to say one way or the other.  As I recall on my last snowblower, I'm pretty sure it was when the chute was turned to the right side.  That 726 you have is a 2-stroke model, correct?  If so, I'm curious to know how well it runs.  How do you like the power?

Richie
pw3258

Reply #9   Mar 2, 2005 10:41 pm

In response to the original question, my new 2005 Toro 828 LXE has not clogged or even bogged down in the 4 or 5 storms we have had here in northern NJ this year. Regardless of the type of snow it has thrown it all with ease, even the large mounds of slushy wet stuff at the EOD.  My drive is adjacent to a cross street and the plows come down and go either right or left and always leave a pile at the EOD, the Toro hasn’t met a challenge it couldn’t beat yet.  The machine is a monster.   This doesn’t necessarily make it better than any of the competitions machines but it is very impressive and hasn’t disappointed me yet.

I’ve owned a Toro since 1985 (Toro 521) and had been looking for a little more power for the last couple of winters.  After looking at a number of models from other companies I came to the conclusion that most were using the same basic design for the last 40 years or so.  They all looked basically the same just different colors, sizes and control locations.  What impressed me the most about the Toro brand was their innovations such as the Power Max Auger system and the Quick Stick Chute.  Even back in 1985 they were innovative with the barrel style auger meant to meter  the snow intake and reduce clogging (which it did!!).

Some may be concerned with the “plastic” chute, but having had one since 1985 with no problems it wasn’t an issue for me.  It might have been nice to have an engine with more recent technological advances, however the Tecumseh engine was the same basic design as I had on my 521 only bigger and more horses.  The engine on the old machine always started with just 2 pulls regardless of my years of neglect (no oil changes, no tune-ups, no summerizations, stale gas, not even changing the spark plug), so there is probably something to be said for that engine model.  The only repair I ever made was to replace a worn auger belt.  I also considered the 726 or 826, but really liked the Free Wheel Steering on the 828, definitely makes it easier to hulk around a piece of equipment which weighs over 200lbs and not have to play with wheel locks.

Based on my past experiences you would probably call me a Toro loyalist, but I respect how well my 20 year old machine ran and am looking forward to another 20 good years with the new Toro 828LXE.  I really love this beast and can't say anythign bad about it !!
ChrisS

Appreciate what you have already been blessed with.

Reply #10   Mar 2, 2005 10:45 pm
kevintree wrote:
Here on Long Island last two storms 5" to 7" snow quickly turned to slush.

I was using a Ariens 1128 and did so so by putting it into high (fast) gear to blow snow/slush.

Are Toro units any better in this sitation?

In a word no.

All snowblowers have difficulty with slush.  What helps here is HP but even then only to a point.  You do what you gotta do to get the job done.  If that means cruising in the high gear so be it.  Each storm is different, none clears the same.

No need to start second guessing your 1128.....

C

Honda 928TA, Ariens 924 STE, Toro single stage S-620, 95 Jeep Wrangler with a 6 foot Fisher Plow, many shovels, one 14 year old boy.  Craftsman 01 1000 LTX pimp Gold LT 20hp Briggs OHV V-twin.  Tough as it is ugly.
Richie

Bring On The White Stuff

Reply #11   Mar 2, 2005 10:55 pm
Richie wrote:
 I'm sure Toro already knows this because they don't sell it with an unclogging stick.

I was trying to be funny guys, but next time I'll try a bit harder to make it more obvious. With two family members into law and one in the medical profession, I'm very aware of all the life changing situations us OPE users put ourselves in and I also know who ultimately pays the price.  

Richie
AZinOH

Reply #12   Mar 3, 2005 6:44 pm
Richie wrote:
As for the polypropylene chute assembly, well, you may be correct about the reason some have passed on Toro's snowblowers because they prefer a steel chute, but I lean a bit more to the fact that many don't buy Toro because it isn't American made, which is very important these days and is my only regret with this snowblower.  However, I don't want anyone to think of me as a traitor.  The dealer I purchased from was American and a local dealer at that, so I was very happy to contribute to his rent.  It's unfortunate because some that pass on it may not entirely realize that American dealers are selling them, not to mention what an amazing snowblower it is.

Richie,

Toro not  American made?  Are you certain? I just rechecked every label I could find on my machine and they all say "The Toro Company, Bloomington Minnesota".  Nothing to indicate they were built anywhere else. I know they're all dual-labeled in French, but I just figured that one (U.S.) facility was making machines for sale in both the States and Canada.

In answer to your other question, I am happy with the 7 hp R*tek. So far it runs fine. I'm confident it will be more than enough to handle the snow I'm likely to get (we almost never get more than 12 inches at a time...has only happened twice in 27 years). Folks who routinely have to deal with more snow may decide they need more power. If it should happen that we do get a real heavy blow, I think the 726 will be ok...it just might take a little longer to do the job. My only regret is that I didn't buy a snowblower years ago, and if I could buy another Toro tomorrow...I would.

AZ

This message was modified Mar 3, 2005 by AZinOH

Marshall

Reply #13   Mar 3, 2005 7:34 pm
robmints

Reply #14   Mar 3, 2005 8:00 pm
Richie,

Toro not  American made?  Are you certain? I just rechecked every label I could find on my machine and they all say "The Toro Company, Bloomington Minnesota".  Nothing to indicate they were built anywhere else. I know they're all dual-labeled in French, but I just figured that one (U.S.) facility was making machines for sale in both the States and Canada.

I thought it was not a good thing for Toro to be seen as making their stuff outside of the US also.  Many have spent a good bit of money on Toro, Simplicity, and Ariens products to the exclusion of Honda, just because they believed  the Toro, Simp, and Ariens to be American made. So I sent Toro an E mail asking about the 828LE. Toro said they make their "power products" in Windum, MN.

Ritchie, please help me here. Is Toro blowing some smoke up my butt?

I have a Toro in the garage, I bought it with the Kohler over the Kawasaki. I sure hope the Toro I bought was made in the US.  I hope all Toros, Simps, Ariens, and Hondas are made in the US.

AZinOH

Reply #15   Mar 3, 2005 8:01 pm
Marshall, thank you for the link. It confirms that Toro's headquarters are indeed in Bloomington MN, but I didn't see anything saying where the manufacturing facilities are located. Did I miss something? Interesting reading there and elsewhere on the site. I noted the statement on the company history that Toro introduced the first snowblower in 1951, and that their sales are far more geared to the professional market than to the residential (62 percent vs. 34 percent).

AZ

Marshall

Reply #16   Mar 3, 2005 8:28 pm
They have many manufacturing facilities in the US. They also have some in other countries.

Toro Job Listings

"Where We Are
Our headquarters are located in Bloomington, Minnesota, a southern suburb of Minneapolis. Our manufacturing plants and distribution centers are located throughout the country and internationally."

This message was modified Mar 3, 2005 by Marshall
Marshall

Reply #17   Mar 3, 2005 8:42 pm
That's all I can find guys.
Richie

Bring On The White Stuff

Reply #18   Mar 3, 2005 8:51 pm
I was told by a friend that there headquarters are located in Canada and I never confirmed that.  I didn't care to confirm it because I was purchasing from a local dealer in business for many decades.  Sorry guys if I made a big mistake on this one.  Since they have their headquarters in the US, I'm also feeling very, very happy to hear that. Thanks for correcting me

Richie
robmints

Reply #19   Mar 3, 2005 9:07 pm
Ritchie,
No correcting. With the way some of these companies do business now a days, it is sometimes hard to see the smoke through the fog.  Too bad we don't have a someone like Snowmann from Toro and Simplicity to clear things like this up.
Marshall

Reply #20   Mar 3, 2005 9:18 pm
Bullcrap, get a rope.  

Just giggin you Richie!
Richie

Bring On The White Stuff

Reply #21   Mar 3, 2005 10:22 pm
Marshall wrote:
Bullcrap, get a rope.  

That was a funny one

Anyway, I'm going to call Toro tomorrow and ask them to send me some "Made in America" stickers for my snowblower.  That was the other reason why I never questioned any of this. Can you believe it, this thing hasn't a single one on it anywhere. 

Yes, I'm sitting on my high horse now

Richie
Jonathan

I am a marvelous housekeeper. Every time I leave a man I keep his house. -Zsa Zsa

Reply #22   Mar 3, 2005 11:14 pm
My Ariens came with an American flag sticker on the back of the chute. Not absolutely sure if it was factory or dealer installed. I have assumed it was the factory though.

2004 Ariens 11528LE, Troybilt Horse "Big Red" Tiller (original), Troybilt Tuffy Tiller (original), Sears LT1000 mower, Lawn Boy 7073 21" mower, Stihl FS55 RC trimmer, Poulan Countervibe 3400 chainsaw
Ben07

The more you know about something, the more you find there is to know.

Reply #23   Mar 3, 2005 11:34 pm
I'm sure you all know this,, and maybe you covered it and I missed it.  But made in America could and most of the time does only primarily mean , assembled in America.  The best example I can give is when I bought my first new Jeep.  You know Jeep famous American vehicle that practically help win WW2 single handid.  I had to do some digging but what I found was that 49% of the parts on that vehicle were from overseas.  Chrysler had to keep the content under 50 percent as that was the threshold that they could say something like "American made" and "Made in America" .. That may have all changed now and the things may be 90 percent overseas.  Who knows. 

Ben07

Ariens 8524LE, Toro CCR2000, Jacobsen S-B S-blowers, Generac 10hp Gen-convt. to N.G., 5 L-boys(D's F's &Dura( 74,77,80,88,00), Antiq. 1960 AYP 20 in. mag w 3.5 Tech mower. Ryan/Ryobi gas Trim. AYP 205 gas blwr. Mac c-saw,Toro E-blwr, 2 Weed-E e. stg. trims. outboards, boats, util trail, 2 Jeeps 
lland

Reply #24   Mar 4, 2005 3:44 pm
American made...Of my last eight cars, five were "American", three Japanese (Honda, Nissan, Acura), and one Sweedish (Volvo - owned by Ford).  Only two of the eight were "Made in the USA," the Honda and the Nissan...as for Toro, maybe they should paint them red, white, and blue instead of just red!

As for performance, my 826 has handled everything I have thrown at it for the past two seasons without a single "burp" (if you don't count sucking up the Sunday paper...but that wasn't the Toro's fault).  It blows the same left or right, and I see no need to question the quality and durability of the polymer (plastic to some) parts.  They don't flex, won't rust, and the snow doesn't stick to them.  The ground was warm for the last snowfall and by the time I got around to blowing there was a pretty good layer of wet, slushy snow along the bottom.  The 826 cleaned it right up.  Didn't throw it 40 feet but threw it far enough to get it out of the way.  A great machine...

LL

2001 Toro 20023 Personal Pace
2002 John Deere Trimmer/Edger/Blower
2003 Craftsman DYT 4000 - 25HP/48" w/bagger
2003 Toro 826LE Snowblower
2004 Mantis Tiller/Dethatcher/Aerator/Edger
2005 Husqvarna 145BT Backpack Blower
Rubbermaid 10CF Trailer
Craftsman 40" Plug Aerator
Richie

Bring On The White Stuff

Reply #25   Mar 4, 2005 5:12 pm
lland wrote:
everything I have thrown at it for the past two seasons without a single "burp" (if you don't count sucking up the Sunday paper...but that wasn't the Toro's fault).  It blows the same left or right, and I see no need to question the quality and durability of the polymer (plastic to some) parts.  They don't flex, won't rust, and the snow doesn't stick to them.  The ground was warm for the last snowfall and by the time I got around to blowing there was a pretty good layer of wet, slushy snow along the bottom.  The 826 cleaned it right up.  Didn't throw it 40 feet but threw it far enough to get it out of the way.  A great machine...

Yeah, that 826 LE must really do a great job compared to the 828.  I have no doubt having 2" less width on the auger makes a nice difference especially when in deeper snow.  From your post, I'm glad to see you never had any surging issues with the engine.  I also agree with everything you posted   

Richie
Replies: 1 - 25 of 25View as Outline
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42