Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > Electric start question

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
jgreen

Electric start question
Original Message   Mar 2, 2005 12:36 pm
I removed the electric start from my 5hp snowking  because it was not engaging everytime.   I  put some oil on the  shaft  and reinstalled the starter   Now it doesnt seem to contact the flywheel at all.    Is there a trick to installing one ?      All I did was line the holes up  and put the bolts back on.  do I have to do anything else?

thanks

John
Scotts 21" self propelled  mower
MTD  4.5 HP single stage snow thrower
Snapper 3 HP single stage snow thrower
Yardman 5HP two stage snowblower
Replies: 2 - 11 of 11Next page of topicsPreviousAllView as Outline
spottedpony

Re: Electric start question
Reply #2   Mar 3, 2005 9:19 am
As i understand, the motor runs but the bendix just isnt engaging? its possible the oil you used is thickening in the cold and not allowing the bendix to slide freely on the shaft. i'd try pulling the starter again and if possible remove the bendix and get everything super clean. then lubricate the shaft and contact points with a good white grease such as lubriplate. its a fairly thin grease that wont thicken and harden in the cold.

then before reinstalling the starter again, test it on the bench using a battery and jumper cables, or heavy duty battery charger to assure proper operation before remounting to the blower.

theres a possibillity the spring under the bendix is worn or broken also, thus another good reason to tear it down. to check for parts wear.

jgreen

Reply #3   Mar 3, 2005 9:38 am
I will pull if off and  look at it again.   It is a 110V  house current type starter   Cant I just plug it in to bench test?      I am guessing that  when i test it the shaft should pop forward and also spin the small gear, right? 

John
newtonian

Reply #4   Mar 3, 2005 12:06 pm
Yes, you can bench test it and should see the gear act as described..  Expect it to jump a bit when it initially starts.

2012 Ariens ST24DLE
Semi Retired Ariens 9526 in active reserve
Unknown vintage 5HP Ariens to restore

jubol

Reply #5   Mar 3, 2005 12:22 pm
 JGreen,

You might want to put the starter in a vise, when you test it, gives you 2 hands free!!

Fred 

Husqvarna STE927(11.5HP) snowblower,  MTD Pro Series 18/42 Lawnmower, MTD 6.5 HP  Self Prop Lawn Mower,  Weedeater 1500 Blower, Web Gensis  2000 
snowshoveler

tides in dirts out surfs up

Reply #6   Mar 3, 2005 5:24 pm
hi guys ...

we test the 110 starters all the time,they will indeed jump a bit when you push the button .it will supprise you even when you know its coming.

the gear will pop out when starter spins.

it may or may not stay out ...

and it may not retract fully when bench testing (held in hand or vise )

i attribute this to the starter not being spun back in by the flywheel.

as long as it spins out at start you should be alright.

later chris

craftsman 10/28 snowblower with tracks   husky 372xpg chainsaw   sachs dolmar bc212 bushsaw   mondo trimmer   monster tractor with trailer    cheep wheelbarro and couple shovels and a partridge in a pear tree 
walbroman

Clean Carb Clean Machine

Reply #7   Mar 7, 2005 12:05 am
Never put oil or grease on a starter shaft that's a bad thing to do. Check out brush they may be worn out or pignon gear worn out too

jgreen

Reply #8   Mar 7, 2005 1:16 pm
walbroman wrote:
Never put oil or grease on a starter shaft that's a bad thing to do. Check out brush they may be worn out or pignon gear worn out too

That may be my problem then!       I will take if off the blower and reexamine it .       Can these starters  be repaired or  do Ineed to buy a new one.    Like I said it  was engaging some of the time when I first got the blower,   Now it seems the motor is spiining but not engaging the fly wheel on the motor.

John
spottedpony

Reply #9   Mar 8, 2005 12:19 am
any metal to metal contact such as in a  starter is going to create excessive wear without lubrication.......thats why starter mfgrs use lubriplate or similar white grease sparingly in these applications, dont go overboard but a bit of lubrication is necessary to get long live from a starter. (assuming as asked in an earlier post, that the starter motor runs ok and the bendix is just not engaging) and if the bendix is worn out, it could be due to lack of lubrication causing excessive wear. personally i wouldnt reassemble one without a bit of lube.
walbroman

Clean Carb Clean Machine

Reply #10   Mar 8, 2005 1:51 am
Well some say lubricate some say's no but one thing for sure this unit becomes hot after time if it runs to long over 10 seconds is too much it could get hot if you want to put lithium grease a bit I dont see an inconvenient but all my starter here doesnt have any grease at all and I never had problem with it as long that id no water going on the shaft and pignon

Walby

Termy

Reply #11   Mar 8, 2005 3:02 am
On the oiling thing, there is only one type of oil that can go on electronic parts without any damage. WD-40

I have a Murray RER that no longer runs. When I first got it, the startor would exibit the same symptoms as yours. All, I did was clean in up with WD-40 and she never had problems again!

Replies: 2 - 11 of 11Next page of topicsPreviousAllView as Outline
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42