Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > OPE Trainee

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
boblloyd

"Forty-two," said Deep Thought, with infinite majesty and calm.

OPE Trainee
Original Message   Mar 2, 2005 12:17 am
On Sunday I realized we had another snowstorm on the way but I was going to be far away on business all week.   I'm sure I could have gotten a neighbor to clear the driveway but my wife seemed to think she could handle the snowblower.    Except for the lawn tractor she has almost no experiance with OPE.  Even there she won't engage the mower.  

Anyway I gave her a quick course on operating the machine and had her clear a short path in the back yard as a final exam.  I gave her a C- and left on my trip still a little dubious.    

We ended up with a good 8" of heavy snow.   Well she reports the Briggs OHV pull started instantly.  She then took a little while to get the hang of it but got the driveway cleared fine even the dense EOD.  In fact she had a BALL and proceeded to clear the walk, the sidewalk in front of our house, and even the sidewalk of our neighbors who were away on vacation. I am impressed.      The bad news is that she wants to do it all the time now.      Anyone else have a story about training their spouse on OPE?   -Bob

Replies: 4 - 13 of 13Next page of topicsPreviousAllView as Outline
Majorxlr8n

Re: OPE Trainee
Reply #4   Mar 2, 2005 11:02 am
Bob - It looks now like your wife will be "stealing" your snow removal "OPE quality time".  Either draw straws for the next time or each of you should perform the task every other instance. BTDT...

Decided last year to have my wife try cutting the grass with the JD since she absolutely hated my old Sears machine - it was loud, rattled & was "red"! Well, after a quick operation lesson, she was saddled up & doing a pretty nice job! However, I'll be in the same scenario come this grass cutting season - we'll both be fighting for our JD seat time!!

Marty

Geno

51- love God 1st, then OPE

Reply #5   Mar 2, 2005 2:31 pm
You Guys are SO lucky!  About 13 years ago my wife was pregnant with our 2'nd daughter- I felt sorry for her watching her struggling doing dishes ( were behind times, still do them by hand) with her rather large stomach..so I got to be her Hero by saying I'd do ALL the dishes ALL the time until the baby was born. Eveything was great, even thou I didn't much like doing them. needless to say- she must not have heard the 'last' half where I said 'until', because I am still doing them after 13 years and she has never stopped smiling! I thought that smile was the joy of our new baby, I realized that wasn't the case after the baby was 2 years old and she was still smiling!  but I love her dearly and thank God for her always.  now- you think their is any chance she'll snowblow for Me?  how about wiping the snow off my face when I come in ? well...maybe the latter.    LOL    Geno
terrapin24h

The more I learn the less i know

Reply #6   Mar 2, 2005 3:26 pm
My wife is quite handy with our 824, even with the wheels locked.  When she beats me home and the drive needs it, there are many times where i come home to a clean drive.  it's nice.  but for some reason, i cant get her out here at 7am when we need to do the drive to get out.  My car has pretty low profile tires(even for stock) and it don't do more than 3 or 4" of snow well, esp at the eod.

--chris
2001 Homelite VacAttack Blower
2001 6hp Toro PPace 22" mower
2001 Ariens 824LE
2002 6hp 2400 PSI Excell Powerwasher
2004 18hp Craftsman 27375 42" mower
2004 42cc Craftsman 18" chainsaw
AJace

I have an Ariens 926 Pro because I like Orange

Reply #7   Mar 2, 2005 4:23 pm
It sounds like your wives haven't started helping you until lately.     

Ariens 926 DLE Professional; Toro S200; Craftsman LT1000, Echo ES-230;

Dave

Craftsman 88799

Reply #8   Mar 2, 2005 10:27 pm
If I were gone and a snowstorm hit, my wife would be content to stay home with a book and order a Domino's pizza. That's OK with me though...  she doesn't know what she is missing!
Marshall

As Long As There Are Tests, There Will Be Prayer In Public Schools. ;- )

Reply #9   Mar 2, 2005 10:40 pm
For sale or trade:

1 Ex wife.

Loves snow.
Loves to sit on couch and eat Bon Bons.
Weight is no problem, has plenty.
Attitude is perfect, will make you want to go blow snow.
Sharpens nerves and ingoring skills.
Builds character in you.
Manages your money, ALL your money.
Helps you grow, makes you see beauty in all others.

Contact me by PM, used to PM syndrome.

(willing to throw in a few hundred)
bbwb

Less is more...more or less

Reply #10   Mar 2, 2005 10:47 pm
This is how I got my wife to STOP mowing the lawn...Being anal as I am, I like having even straight lines left over from the mower,  well, mrs bbwb felt that a random pattern was better (maybe to her but not me) and I of course had to make a comment.  Well, you guessed it, she told me that was fine and that I will now do the lawn mowing from now on!  That was 9 years ago.  That was pre-personal pace mower time and now that I think back,maybe I should have kept my mouth shut.  Not so bad anymore. 

I think that she might have a ball with the snow blower, but I won't let her have a chance...I am sure that she would not like getting up at 5:30 to clear the drive.

bbwb

Paula

May you have enough happiness to make you sweet,
enough trials to make you strong,
enough sorrow to keep you human and
enough hope to make you happy.

Reply #11   Mar 4, 2005 4:53 am
Well, heck, I can't believe I almost missed the fun!

As a formerly Mrs. but still female

I did most of the lawn mowing and shoveling (Geno, you thought you were behind the times...I  did dishes AND the driveway by hand! .) and I enjoyed it very much.  I loved my seat time on our Simplicity....nothing was better than feeling the warm sun, a nice breeze in my face, the smell of cut grass and seeing a newly trimmed lawn with all the flowers, shrubs and trees blooming.....contentment at its finest.  I also loved going out at 5:00 a.m. when neighbors were snowblowing, and shoveling my driveway.....something about shoveling in the dark with big snow flakes falling with only the sound of blowers and city plows that I actually looked forward to getting up for, though I have to admit I could have passed on the EOD.

So, guys....think twice before trying to get the Mrs. to do the lawn/snowblowing.....once she has tried it, you might have a fight on your hands trying to GET your hands on the OPE! 

Paula

MissSnowshoveler

If you don't have free speech, what do you have?

Reply #12   Mar 4, 2005 5:38 am
Well I guess I should get in here too.  When I lived at home I did all the shoveling while my father did the plowing.  After I had the shoveling done - he'd plow a big wall of snow back for me to shovel through.

Now that I'm living with Chris - I can't take away his precious time with his snowblower.  It's something about seeing a guy out in the freezing cold and then coming in to get warmed up.  But I shovel here too.  The doorstep and that's about it.  But I get out and enjoy that time with him.

As for home - now when we get to work (they're in the same yard), Chris grabs a snowblower as Dad does the plowing and I just get to sit inside and wait for the phone to ring.

Sherri

If you don't have free speech, what do you have?
snowshoveler

tides in dirts out surfs up

Reply #13   Mar 4, 2005 5:38 pm
well...

now that i know my place in the snowy world i will be able to perform up to folks expectations.

im so happy about that .

later chris

craftsman 10/28 snowblower with tracks   husky 372xpg chainsaw   sachs dolmar bc212 bushsaw   mondo trimmer   monster tractor with trailer    cheep wheelbarro and couple shovels and a partridge in a pear tree 
Replies: 4 - 13 of 13Next page of topicsPreviousAllView as Outline
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42