Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > MTD Snow King

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
Yankeeblues

MTD Snow King
Original Message   Mar 1, 2005 7:13 pm
I've been advised to start a new post and add some details...

It's an 8HP HMSK 80 about three years old, used maybe a half of dozen times.  I've drained the gas tank after every season and ran it til the carb was dry.  The number on the carb is 5002C19.

So I went out again this morning with last night's new snow and it kicked over.  That screw I played with the other day was just the idle crack and is ok.  Like I said, it started but needs full choke and half throttle to stay running and even then it surges.  I managed about ten to fifteen minutes before had no power at all and I nursed it back to the garage.  I let it cool down, loosen the gas cap and tried again...no start at all.  A blast of starting fluid in carb gets it going but then it dies.

Any suggestions???

Pete

Hi Folks,

I stumbled across your group while doing a search for Tecumseh snowblowers.  I was hoping to find an online troublshooting manual for my machine.  The last time I used it ( that two feet we got here in the NorthEast ) it began to lose power to the point of almost stalling.   This was after a couple of hours.  I had to play with the choke to keep it running, let it idle for a bit then continue.  Ran OK for a while and then the same thing would happen.

So I started it up this afternoon after checking out the forecast and the same thing happened right away...only it kept stalling.  I assumed ( very bad move ) that the idle could be adjusted and went and turned the screw on the carb.  Now it won't start at all

Have I messed things up big time or is there hope?

Pete

This message was modified Mar 1, 2005 by Yankeeblues
Replies: 2 - 11 of 11Next page of topicsPreviousAllView as Outline
robmints

Re: MTD Snow King
Reply #2   Mar 1, 2005 7:25 pm
Chris,
If someone was not comfortable taking the carb off, could they remove the bowl and bowl nut and clean the bowl, really clean and poke the bowl nut clean, spray the internal parts of the carb you can get to, with attention to holes and passages, reassemble and see if it does any good? Or is this a waste of time?
AJace

I have an Ariens 926 Pro because I like Orange

Reply #3   Mar 1, 2005 7:28 pm
I've done that on a Tecumseh engine that I couldn't get going too easy.  I curious too Chris.  It seemed to help.
This message was modified Mar 1, 2005 by AJace

Ariens 926 DLE Professional; Toro S200; Craftsman LT1000, Echo ES-230;

Richie

Bring On The White Stuff

Reply #4   Mar 1, 2005 9:26 pm
Pete,

You may also want to replace your bowl with one that incorporates the bowl drain valve.  As previously mentioned, at least a half shot glass worth of fuel always remains in the bowl after you've run the engine until it dies.  The bowl drain removes every last drop.

Richie
buttlint

Reply #5   Mar 1, 2005 9:50 pm
Rob asked.If someone was not comfortable taking the carb off, could they remove the bowl and bowl nut and clean the bowl, really clean and poke the bowl nut clean, spray the internal parts of the carb you can get to, with attention to holes and passages, reassemble and see if it does any good? Or is this a waste of time?
That's a good question.
There are a couple of things that you have too be careful of when you do it that way. On a 3 year old unit....that has been drained every year...there really shouldnt be a great deal of "green crud" built up in the carb bowl.
Like Chris said....there will be some fuel left in the bowl....no matter how much it was "drained."
But...usually....it will settle in the bottom 1/3 of the bowl. That is the area where the bowl nut is most vulnerable too problems....not "higher up" in the carb itself. (The emulsion tube, low speed circuit, vent etc.)
Just removing the bowl nut....and cleaning it is one thing. (That will take care of "most" problems and get the machine running.)
Actually removing the float bowl, with the machine in the normal position, is something that cause other problems....if you are not aware of what those "other problems" can be.
Meaning: If you take the bowl off....the float will instantley drop. It will hang in the hinge pin.....and not fall apart....but it can "unhook" from the wire that is connected too the needle valve. The needle valve will not fall out from the seat area....but when you put the bowl back on.....the float tang will now be under the wire hook....and force the needle against the seat...and totally shut off the fuel flow too the bowl. (Does that make any sense?)
You also have too be careful with the O-ring that seals the float bowl...sometimes if it slips....or gets pinched when you put the bowl back on (easy too do.) the seal between the bowl and carb is broken. When that happens, the carb will not prime. (It needs too seal or pressure cant build up in the bowl....and force fuel up into the throat of the carb where it will do any good.)

If this is an "emissions" carb.....many "surging" problems lie in the pilot jet. That is located under a grey plastic cap....on the left hand side of the carb body...where the old "low speed mixture screw" used too be. If you pop that cap, there is a brass colored slotted "screw". Sometimes guys find that and mistake it for an adjustment screw. (It's not!) They will turn it out 1 and half turns...like in the old days....but it doesnt work that way.
That pilot jet can be removed and cleaned. (There is a really tiny passage on the tip of it that can be cleaned with a really tiny wire.) But when you put it  back....make sure it is tight. (But not too tight...or you can screw up the tip of the jet.)

I dont know if any of this adds too the topic of this thread....but I think it is relevent if you decide too dig into the carb either on or removed the unit. HTH.
spottedpony

Reply #6   Mar 1, 2005 10:44 pm
another possibility although slim.....check the carb mounting bolts, if they nave loosened it could be sucking air causing it to run way lean. (i had this happen on my tiller a couple of years ago.)

sure does sound like its running lean though.

AJace

I have an Ariens 926 Pro because I like Orange

Reply #7   Mar 2, 2005 4:47 pm
I've had to prime my mower several times in cold weather to get it started.  I guess after so many removals of the bowl and cleaning the nut, it has lost some of its seal. 

Ariens 926 DLE Professional; Toro S200; Craftsman LT1000, Echo ES-230;

snowshoveler

tides in dirts out surfs up

Reply #8   Mar 2, 2005 8:05 pm
wow...

Buttlint posted a reply that i was on my way to do and i just cant add anything to it.

eccellent job Lint you should get extra credit for that one.but ill add a little...

i sometimes tip the blower to the service position and clean the carb this way without removing it but for a novice this can be trouble.

if your are familiar with this style carb ,like Lint and myself then no problem.im sure Lint could do this with his eyes closed.

but it can be tricky.

worst thing is to do nothing.

try to clean it and we can help if necessary.

later chris

craftsman 10/28 snowblower with tracks   husky 372xpg chainsaw   sachs dolmar bc212 bushsaw   mondo trimmer   monster tractor with trailer    cheep wheelbarro and couple shovels and a partridge in a pear tree 
bbwb

Less is more...more or less

Reply #9   Mar 2, 2005 11:14 pm
Here is my two cents worth on this...It sounds like a fuel delivery problem to me.  According to Tecumseh's trouble shooting chart, and lining up all of your common problems, they indicate the following:

Plugged tank filler or vent

Fuel pick-up restricted

Damaged Adjustment needles

Main Nozzle restricted

Dirty, stuck needle and seat.

I agree with the others not to use ether to help start the blower, the ether does not burn but explodes in the cylinder.  It could lead to a broken piston.

As I mentioned in an earlier post, my blower did not come with a fuel filter or shut off valve.  I added both.  I must be lucky, but in all of my years with OPE, I always store the off season equipment with stabilized fuel in them.  I have NEVER had to have a carburator rebuilt or cleaned, only slight adjustments.

bbwb

terrapin24h

The more I learn the less i know

Reply #10   Mar 3, 2005 8:57 am
we've always stored our stuff "wet" too.  Goes back to my dad doing it i guess.  Stablized fuel, about 1/2 tank or better and put her away.  We've never had a problem either.

--chris
2001 Homelite VacAttack Blower
2001 6hp Toro PPace 22" mower
2001 Ariens 824LE
2002 6hp 2400 PSI Excell Powerwasher
2004 18hp Craftsman 27375 42" mower
2004 42cc Craftsman 18" chainsaw
snowshoveler

tides in dirts out surfs up

Reply #11   Mar 3, 2005 5:27 pm
thats what i reccomend...

stabilized fuel and run it for 10 minutes or so.

even better if you stabilize all your fuel when you buy it,you never know when you will use equipment or stop using for the season.

later chris

craftsman 10/28 snowblower with tracks   husky 372xpg chainsaw   sachs dolmar bc212 bushsaw   mondo trimmer   monster tractor with trailer    cheep wheelbarro and couple shovels and a partridge in a pear tree 
Replies: 2 - 11 of 11Next page of topicsPreviousAllView as Outline
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42