Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > Unexplained shutdowns

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
Wheels

Unexplained shutdowns
Original Message   Mar 1, 2005 6:24 pm
My new (this season) Ariens 8526 works well and I love it.  But (you knew there was a 'but' coming up), twice now the motor has stopped for no apparent reason.  It just shuts down.  I then check the gas tank.  There is gas.  Both times I pushed it back to the garage and decided to try to start it.  Both times it started on the second pull and proceeded to run just fine while I finished the job.  Any ideas about whats happening?  As long as it restarts, I don't consider it a 'showstopper' type of problem.  But I would like to know why it shuts down. 

The fuel that is in the tank now is about a month old and it has stabilizer in it.

All input is appreciated.   

Ariens 8526LE, Cub Cadet 2185 LT, Troy Bilt 8hp 5550 Watt Generator
Replies: 9 - 18 of 18Next page of topicsPreviousAllView as Outline
buttlint

Re: Unexplained shutdowns
Reply #9   Mar 1, 2005 8:22 pm
Wheels,
The easiest way too know if you have a cap problem is too remove the fuel line from the tank with the cap on. (Put a container under it.)
If you have a venting problem.....it may drip a couple of shots of gas for about 3 seconds...but then it will stop flowing completely.
If you then loosen the cap and get fuel flow...then you can be sure you that have a cap venting problem.
AJace

I have an Ariens 926 Pro because I like Orange

Reply #10   Mar 1, 2005 9:28 pm
Thanks Lint, I'll remember this method. 

Ariens 926 DLE Professional; Toro S200; Craftsman LT1000, Echo ES-230;

Wheels

Reply #11   Mar 2, 2005 3:00 pm
Robmints - I probably used it three times.  So one time it did not shut down.

Yes I did buy it from Jim Lyons and no I haven't talked to him about the problem yet.  The second failure was just yesterday.  I'll run it past him when I get a chance, but I think this cap venting is the problem.

Snowshoveler - I looked inside my cap again.  I don't see any aluminum piece on the inside.  Just the rubber nipple shaped protrusion on the inside.

When I put the cap back on just now I did not tighten it as much as usual.  We'll see what happens, but it probably won't snow again.

Ariens 8526LE, Cub Cadet 2185 LT, Troy Bilt 8hp 5550 Watt Generator
Neil

Reply #12   Mar 3, 2005 12:32 pm
I have the 8526 myself and had two unexplained shut down.  Each time I removed the cap and all is well.  I have the gas cap with the rubbber insert, if you look closely at the rubber flat side, you will see channels if you may, that allow the gas to vent from the center to through these channels to the outside.  I think the problem is when you tighten the cap and close off these channels in the rubber then you have the vent lock problem.  I think dealers and or Ariens should make a note to let customers be aware of this.  Do not over tight the gas cap and you shall be ok, providing of course you have the new cap design.

Neil
walbroman

Clean Carb Clean Machine

Reply #13   Mar 7, 2005 12:07 am
Bad coil lead consuming damp or gas tank vent clogging

pecanmanwill

got a dog named Devon and a cat named Scooter and a She cat named Fluffy

Reply #14   Mar 8, 2005 7:08 pm
Sounds  like you all have just about solved this problem of shut down.   Three or four  are convinced, like me, that that cap for some reason is not venting properly

Of course when you check to see if fuel is present, you vent it,  it then will run for some length afterwards.  Let us know, if this is the problem.  All take care and may we solve every problem that develops on this forum this coming year.  ---your friend---Will

Will--sometimes called pecanmanwill
jubol

Reply #15   Mar 8, 2005 7:15 pm

Will,

Welcome back!!!    Missed you!!

Fred    

Husqvarna STE927(11.5HP) snowblower,  MTD Pro Series 18/42 Lawnmower, MTD 6.5 HP  Self Prop Lawn Mower,  Weedeater 1500 Blower, Web Gensis  2000 
pecanmanwill

Reply #16   Mar 9, 2005 7:17 am
Thanks Jubol--I am gradually getting my strength back.  Have a long way to go, but I am on my way.   Missed the month I was in and out of the hospital.   Spring is on the way down here in the deep south.  Grass is growing and the doctor tells me no mowing .   Man I am lost.  I love to cut grass.  You all take care and may the God of this world watch over you and your family and keep you now and always.----Will

mml4

Snow is good,
Deep snow is better!

Reply #17   Mar 9, 2005 3:14 pm
Hi Will _

Good to here from you!!!!!!

Marc

SnapperV210P,Toro22177,TroyBilt42010Snowthrower,Craftsman Shredder,American Turbo Pressure Washer HondaGX200,Stihl011Saw,EchoPas260Trimmer Edger,EchoPB602Blower,EchoHCR150Hedge Clipper
pecanmanwill

Reply #18   Mar 9, 2005 3:49 pm
Thanks Marc---I am feeling good and on the road to recovery.   Wish you the best and we will talke- later---Will

Replies: 9 - 18 of 18Next page of topicsPreviousAllView as Outline
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42