Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > Snowing Now - But Time to Think About a New Trimmer for Spring

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
Terp

Snowing Now - But Time to Think About a New Trimmer for Spring
Original Message   Feb 28, 2005 12:43 pm
First post on the new site.  Glad to see some of the familiar screen names on this site.  Started snowing about an hour ago.  We are supposed to get between 6-10 inches.  So, with a little time to kill before getting out the snow blower tonight, I figure I'd ask for some input on a new trimmer. 

Trimmer is for homeowner use only - for areas the mower can't get to on a 1/3 acre lawn.  I am looking for reliability, easy start, and a well balanced trimmer.  My old trimmer had a curved shaft, poor balance, and just killed my back after 30 minutes.  Seemed like I was never in a comfortable position when using it.  Fortunately it died after 10-12 years.  I can't bear to replace something that still works.  But now I can shop with no regrets.

I'm considering either an Echo trimmer (SRM-210 or SRM-210i) or the Honda 4 cycle (HHT25SLTA).

Anyone have any comments on the above models.  Might even look at the Echo PAS-230 with the optional edging attachment.  I have an edger, but it is fairly old and I am not sure I want a separate piece of OPE when I have to replace it.  Maybe the PAS-230 is a good alternative.

Thanks in advance.

Replies: 1 - 10 of 10View as Outline
Marshall

As Long As There Are Tests, There Will Be Prayer In Public Schools. ;- )

Re: Snowing Now - But Time to Think About a New Trimmer for Spring
Reply #1   Feb 28, 2005 1:32 pm
Terp, welcome to the new site!

You can't go wrong with Echo. I have an Echo split boom which was the perdecessor to the PAS 230. Love it. It's well balanced, light weight and powerful. I use the trimmer and edge attachments. It's very easy to change from one to the other and takes about 60 seconds to do.

Glad to see you wanting a strait shaft, that's something we won't have talk about. Mine has a 23.9cc engine, I have no doubt the 21cc engine for the SRM trimmer alone would be enough for home use.

Mine cold starts within 2 pulls evertime, warm starts one pull. Parts are easily found and not expensive, another plus.
mml4

Snow is good,
Deep snow is better!

Reply #2   Feb 28, 2005 2:29 pm
I bought the PAS260 last year with the string trimmer and edger attachments. It worked flawlessly all season. I would buy it again!

Marc 

PS-I started out to buy the 230 and on the dealers suggestion upgraded to the 260. The extra oomph is nice  when edging. By the way the cable connection which I was concerned about has a lifetime warranty. The dealer said he has never had to replace one. 

This message was modified Feb 28, 2005 by mml4

SnapperV210P,Toro22177,TroyBilt42010Snowthrower,Craftsman Shredder,American Turbo Pressure Washer HondaGX200,Stihl011Saw,EchoPas260Trimmer Edger,EchoPB602Blower,EchoHCR150Hedge Clipper
robmints

Reply #3   Feb 28, 2005 6:27 pm
I don't want to take you off track. But. There are some good brands, like stihl that you have not mentioned. I like the Sthil with the edger much better than the Echo. It is straight inline with the shaft so you can see what you are doing much better. My opinion. You should try them all. Another thing I would consider is not getting the quick change. Maybe get the one that you need to use an allen wrench to change the  heads and save a bit of money for virtually the same thing. Plus every attachment you buy will be considerably less expensive. Just some things you might want to consider. Glad you found your way over.
Smitty

"He who dies with the most toys/tools wins!"

Reply #4   Feb 28, 2005 7:43 pm
Terp, I

bought the Echo 230 last year. I love it. I got the Brushcutter Saw attachment and the head that doesn't use a spool for the line, just 2 lengths that you replace. I use the brush cutter head twice a year. It is a little bit of a pain to have to change out the head but I can live with doing it twice a year only. I got sick of those damn spools and wouldn't never go back to those. I bought mine at my local OPE shop but I believe they are about the same price at HD.

Ariens 824 Sno Thro, Toro 18" Gas Trimmer, Craftsman 3.5 HP 9" Edger/Trimmer, Echo SRM230 Trimmer/Brush Cutter, Toro 21" Recycler II Mower, Craftsman 8.5 HP Chipper/Shredder, Craftsman 25cc GAs Blower/Vac, Husky Y1000 Air Compressor, Homelite EZ ChainSaw, Husky Chain Saw
uc113

Reply #5   Mar 3, 2005 7:27 pm
I have the stihl straight shaft trimmer and it has a 27 cc engine and it has plenty of torque.  It is easy to work with and start up without a problem.  The edger is a nice feature, however, the biggest problem is that people decide to use the edger the first few times in the spring and wind up damaging the machine.  When there has not been any edging done and the ground is wet, nothing beats a dedicated gas edger that is 3 or more HP.  No trimeer with attachements is going to be able to compete with that.  I had broken a cable doing some edging with my previous trimmer.  Until you have a pretty well established edge and fairly dry ground I wouldn't make my trimmer my primary edger.
Terp

Reply #6   Mar 4, 2005 6:03 pm
Good point UC.  A local dealer in as much said the same thing about using an edger as a dedicated unit rather than the Echo PAS or Stihl.  I've  looked at Echo, Stihl, Husky, and Honda.  The soils here are more of a heavy silt loam (more clay).  If we had sandy loam soils I would not hesitate with the PAS series.  Think I will stick with just a trimmer unit.

I liked the Honda.  It is heavier though.  Also liked the Echo 230.  That model comes with cable or steel.  Any comments on the different types?  Also liked the Husky 326. 

robmints

Reply #7   Mar 4, 2005 6:42 pm
One thing to add to the trimmer question. The engines have changed on most trimmers so much over the last couple of years, it is hard to make a solid head to head comparsion. For instance, I have a Stihl fs85. NLA. You would need to look at a 110.
Terp

Reply #8   Mar 12, 2005 5:55 pm
Had a chance to look at the Husky 326 today with the optional attachments.   Nice machine.  Now considering that unit vs the Echo PAS 260.  Need a trimmer and edger.  Anyone know why the edger attachments are not in-line?   Most have a curved offset shaft - Husky, Echo, Stihl.  Though, Stihl makes a unit that accepts an in-line edger that attaches at the bottom of the shaft.  Only one I have seen like that.

The dealer I visited today was discontinuing the Husky line and going strictly with Stihl.  After reading the 2 cycle vs 4 cycle thread discussing small OPE, I have decided against the Honda units and the Stihl 4 mix units.

Marshall

As Long As There Are Tests, There Will Be Prayer In Public Schools. ;- )

Reply #9   Mar 12, 2005 6:36 pm
Terp, as for the reason they are not inline, I have no idea. What I can say though is, I like it that way. When edging the sidewalks, driveway, porch areas, etc; I want to walk on the paved area, away from the line of edged grass and dirt that my trimmer just edged. Being offset, it allows you to do this easily without having to hold the whole trimmer out from your body so far.
robmints

Reply #10   Mar 12, 2005 7:41 pm
Terp,
That is exactly what I really liked about the Stihl. I got the FS85 . The edger, which I did not buy, is straight inline with the shaft. That made it much easier to use, as you could see what you were doing with out having to lean over. Why are the others bent? No idea. My FS85 does require tools to change the attachments, but each attachchment is considerably less expensive than the quick change versions.

That said, I got a self feeding trimmer head. Took it off. You might want to consider the Chinese handcuff type of trimmer head that takes pre-cut string. I like mine much better. No matter what brand you choose.

I know it can be hard, but you really need to test drive then to see which one you will like. If you find a good dealer, you  should have no problem. They will encourage you to try before you buy. Even if they have a recommedation you might hear "Try this one so you can see what I mean."
Replies: 1 - 10 of 10View as Outline
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42