Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > 6-12" for NE

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
AJace

I have an Ariens 926 Pro because I like Orange

6-12" for NE
Original Message   Feb 27, 2005 11:36 pm
We are supposed to get the largest storm that we've had yet this year totaling up to 6-12" for the area.  I guess other places are supposed to get up 14".  It will make for some nice pictures.  Below is a forecast from central PA. 

A WINTER STORM WARNING is in effect for all of south central PA. Here We Go!!  A coastal low is headed our way, keeping us cold enough for snow and with the storm tracking close to the coast, it will give us plenty of snow.  Right now it looks like much of our viewing area will receive about 6 to 12 inches of snow. Some places in eastern Lancaster, Chester, Berks and towards the Poconos could have over a foot of snow.  The storm could also provide heavy snow and  ice problems for the Delmarva and New Jersey.  We should expect the snow to begin midmorning Monday and become intense for the Afternoon and Evening hours.  It will thin out Monday Night, but still possibly drop another inch or two.  We'll also have the winds pick up Monday, becoming rather blustery in the Afternoon and early evening.  The March Lion is a day early, but one we'll have to dig out of.

Ariens 926 DLE Professional; Toro S200; Craftsman LT1000, Echo ES-230;

Replies: 12 - 21 of 21Next page of topicsPreviousAllView as Outline
terrapin24h

The more I learn the less i know

Re: 6-12" for NE
Reply #12   Mar 1, 2005 1:29 pm
we only got around 4" or so, but nonetheless blowing it was a harrowing experience, to say the least.  I don't have time to elaborate right now, but let's just say i pulled off a seriously boneheaded move this morning, and but by the grace of my well built machine did i get out of it.

--chris
2001 Homelite VacAttack Blower
2001 6hp Toro PPace 22" mower
2001 Ariens 824LE
2002 6hp 2400 PSI Excell Powerwasher
2004 18hp Craftsman 27375 42" mower
2004 42cc Craftsman 18" chainsaw
lland

Reply #13   Mar 1, 2005 2:23 pm
We ended up with about 8".  It took almost two years but I finally figured out the best pattern for blowing my driveway.  Keeps the snow out of the garage and off the neighbor's driveway and the street.  Made possible by the Toro QuickStick.

LL

2001 Toro 20023 Personal Pace
2002 John Deere Trimmer/Edger/Blower
2003 Craftsman DYT 4000 - 25HP/48" w/bagger
2003 Toro 826LE Snowblower
2004 Mantis Tiller/Dethatcher/Aerator/Edger
2005 Husqvarna 145BT Backpack Blower
Rubbermaid 10CF Trailer
Craftsman 40" Plug Aerator
Jonathan

I am a marvelous housekeeper. Every time I leave a man I keep his house. -Zsa Zsa

Reply #14   Mar 1, 2005 3:08 pm
This is our best snowfall so far this year and I am finally giving the Ariens a decent workout . I cleared about 8” from the driveway this AM so I could get to work. Intermittent bands of snow have been coming through all day so I’d guess we will get at least 12” from this one.

2004 Ariens 11528LE, Troybilt Horse "Big Red" Tiller (original), Troybilt Tuffy Tiller (original), Sears LT1000 mower, Lawn Boy 7073 21" mower, Stihl FS55 RC trimmer, Poulan Countervibe 3400 chainsaw
ChrisS

Appreciate what you have already been blessed with.

Reply #15   Mar 1, 2005 4:09 pm
Only 4 inchs for us.  I was coming down like a monster for awhile last night but it looks like it swung south and then up the coast away from us.  Fine by me lol....

Coming down pretty hard again right now though.

C

Honda 928TA, Ariens 924 STE, Toro single stage S-620, 95 Jeep Wrangler with a 6 foot Fisher Plow, many shovels, one 14 year old boy.  Craftsman 01 1000 LTX pimp Gold LT 20hp Briggs OHV V-twin.  Tough as it is ugly.
Vangellis

Dream more easy in the chair that really fits you.

Reply #16   Mar 1, 2005 4:13 pm
ChrisS wrote:
Pretty to watch though.....

I hear you Kevin.  It is just as bad as when the storm is hitting and you are you are at work and have to try to get home.....

Many's the night I had to plow into the top of my drive burying my Buick to the fenders lol....I would then dig it out in the morning.  If I feel energetic that late I have left it in the road with the flashers on and blown a parking spot for it at the top and finished up in the am.  All depends on my mood.

C

Nice suprise when I got home this morning. My neighbor did just enough of the end of my driveway for me to pull in. I don't get much snow at the EOD because the township plow goes by so fast, it just spews everywhere.  LOL.  We got at least 10" and it was snowing on top of it all day. Total about one foot. Stopping now. I took a nap for about an hour, then went out and finished my driveway and yard paths, then went over to the elderly neighbors and did hers. I think I'll do some clean up tomorrow with the tractor and blade. I need some quality time with the Simp anyway.
                                                                                                                                                                          Kevin

Simplicity Conquest
AJace

I have an Ariens 926 Pro because I like Orange

Reply #17   Mar 1, 2005 7:38 pm
The probelm was that our snow melted some before I got the chance to clear it.  Other than that I wished I got more. 

Ariens 926 DLE Professional; Toro S200; Craftsman LT1000, Echo ES-230;

Highwind

Despite the high cost of living, have you noticed how it remains so popular.

Reply #18   Mar 1, 2005 8:06 pm
We got about 6" today, and I still didn't get to use the snowblower. 
As I was coming up the street, my son was just finishing the driveway.        

Honda stable: HS 724 snowblower;  HRS216 lawnmower; BF2 UWWW; 5 HP, 2200 psi/2.9 GPM pressure washer.

Electric: BV2500 B&D Leaf Hog/snow duster; old 12" Weedeater.

robmints

Reply #19   Mar 1, 2005 8:10 pm
Highwind.

Tech9 should know better.
But you can use my method. I blow the drive clear in the morning, get the cars out, blow all the snow back, so the kids can sled. Repeat as necessary.
mrmom

Reply #20   Mar 1, 2005 8:55 pm
Ho hum..... boring 6 inches here. Driveway had about three though. Because the sun was out yesterday morning, the asphalt warmed up. Snow didn't start coming down until around noon and nothing was sticking to the driveway until late in the afternoon. So it only started sticking when the blacktop started cooling down. Six inches though on non blacktop areas. Was hoping for more.
Ben07

The more you know about something, the more you find there is to know.

Reply #21   Mar 3, 2005 2:11 pm
Did anybody get any appreciable snow on their paved surfaces in this so called blizzard warning in Pennsylvania,??for Feb 28 and mar 1 extending into the 2nd.  Here In Western PA and really central PA the mountains were suppose to get Blitzed.  I had occasion to drive across most of the state and back on the 1st and second (state turnpike/toll highway I-76).   I did not run into any snow on the road anywhere.  That's 8 hours of driving on two seperate days thru what the weather said were going to be near blizzard conditions.  Talk about elevation, 50% percent of the trip was thru the highest points in the Appalaciations, and the Blue mountains and the Alleghenies etc etc.(I saw a total of three state turnpike plow truchs parked in the medium turn-around area's.)   There was some snow in the grassy area's, but there was no plow marks on the side of the road.  The accumulation must have been slight and the salt handled it. The scenery was great half the time, with the bright white mountains, but a lot of the time they were melted thus being a dingy brown.  One area (ski-resort area) got a little blustery late yesterday for a few minutes,no accumulation on the road  and the attendants at a gas station said they were suppose to have gotten 10 inches total, but hardly any of it stuck even on their secondary roads.  However every radio station was saying it was snowing heavily in the area's I was actually driving thru at the time.  Now who is crazy?  Me or the weatherman.  I thought I was in the twilight zone or something as there was no traffic anywhere, just an occasional truck.  Don't get me wrong, I was very fortunate to do an emergency type trip and be blessed with great conditions.  The trip out took long as I was in the mindset of driving slow (60-65 mph) I know that is normal speed but I could have done 90 the whole way cause I had the road primarily to myself) so I didn use any cruise and kept saying well no sense speeding up, cause it is gonna hit me any second.    

Now I am sure there is the possability that I may have gotten lucky and just barly missed some snow.  But not ever seeing any plow build-up or plow marks on the slight amount of snow that was off to the sides of the roads actually rules that out.  Also there don't seem to be many references in the forum here as to actual snow blowing to any degree during that time. . 

Ben07

This message was modified Mar 3, 2005 by Ben07

Ariens 8524LE, Toro CCR2000, Jacobsen S-B S-blowers, Generac 10hp Gen-convt. to N.G., 5 L-boys(D's F's &Dura( 74,77,80,88,00), Antiq. 1960 AYP 20 in. mag w 3.5 Tech mower. Ryan/Ryobi gas Trim. AYP 205 gas blwr. Mac c-saw,Toro E-blwr, 2 Weed-E e. stg. trims. outboards, boats, util trail, 2 Jeeps 
Replies: 12 - 21 of 21Next page of topicsPreviousAllView as Outline
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42