Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > Newly Acquired Broken Ariens Blower - Where to Begin Repair?

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
newtonian

Newly Acquired Broken Ariens Blower - Where to Begin Repair?
Original Message   Feb 27, 2005 6:01 pm
A summer project here...    it ran rough when last used and has gas in it.   It's been sitting as shown for two years.

Question One:  Is this typical diehard Ariens model?

Question Two:   Where to begin?

Question Three:   Can a new motor be mounted, and if so, which model is recommended?

This message was modified Mar 11, 2005 by newtonian

2012 Ariens ST24DLE
Semi Retired Ariens 9526 in active reserve
Unknown vintage 5HP Ariens to restore

Replies: 1 - 8 of 8View as Outline
Geno

51- love God 1st, then OPE

Re: Newly Acquired Junk Ariens Blower - Where to Begin Repair?
Reply #1   Feb 27, 2005 6:37 pm
What I would do first: see why the motor don't run, or run right. I wouldn't change motor unless that one is total loss. snowblowers don't really get used as much for say as mowers. a good tune-up and real good carb clean and adjustment may take care of motor. of course location warrents more use in some areas. I think a good rule is original power is best if possible. ( listen to me..I am still thinking of putting a 1 cylinder snowmobile engine on a old blower that is built heavy enough.)  after motor is running good, I would go over the drive system to make sure everything is ok and lubed. then go onto checking bearings/bushings for wear, also belts.  this is kinda the pattern I go thru on new  old blowers I acuire.  This is not from a pro so others opinion would be better considering.        good luck     Geno
ChrisS

Appreciate what you have already been blessed with.

Reply #2   Feb 27, 2005 8:37 pm
Yup that is a tough old machine.

I agree with Geno, don't write that motor off yet.

If you do end up having to go that route there have been rave reviews on the Briggs replacement engines.

C

This message was modified Feb 27, 2005 by ChrisS

Honda 928TA, Ariens 924 STE, Toro single stage S-620, 95 Jeep Wrangler with a 6 foot Fisher Plow, many shovels, one 14 year old boy.  Craftsman 01 1000 LTX pimp Gold LT 20hp Briggs OHV V-twin.  Tough as it is ugly.
Majorxlr8n

Reply #3   Feb 27, 2005 11:37 pm
Newtonian,

Geno covered it VERY well (sounded like a PRO to me)!!

That's a nice older Ariens you have, and it is a stout one. Since you said this was running, was it burning any oil (blue smoke)? If not, your chances of reviving the engine are very good & also not too expensive! Does the engine have good, healthy, purple/blue spark at the plug? This engine has points & a condensor - replacing them will probably get your spark good and strong if its weak. Otherwise, a good carb cleaning will probably be in order. One thing to watch out for on these older units is rust in the metal fuel tank. They get quite rusty if water gets in there, and then the rust flakes can cause headaches by clogging up the fuel line & carb - this is something you should definitely check out as it's a common problem.

Good luck - we'll get you thru this & will assist in getting that old baby honkin' again...

Marty

terrapin24h

The more I learn the less i know

Reply #4   Feb 28, 2005 9:16 am
I agree with all that is written here...First thing: DONT TRY TO START IT!!!  Asses your fuel situation first, by that i mean drain and dry it of all fuel, and check the carb bowl for signs of varnishing, and the tank for rust.  i highly doubt it was stored with stabalized fuel :)  Get yer fuel system clean first then go from there.  Don't see any reason the ole bear can't be put back into service...

--chris
2001 Homelite VacAttack Blower
2001 6hp Toro PPace 22" mower
2001 Ariens 824LE
2002 6hp 2400 PSI Excell Powerwasher
2004 18hp Craftsman 27375 42" mower
2004 42cc Craftsman 18" chainsaw
bontaiJoe

If it's free, it's for me!

Reply #5   Feb 28, 2005 9:30 am
I agree with all the above posts. The motor gets first priority, and as mentioned, after verifying it has compression, start with cleaning and servicing the fuel system, then a tune up, fresh oil, new air filter, new spark plug, then you can start accessing the auger drive for need of bearings, paint, etc.

"Man's mind stretched to a new idea, never goes back to its original dimension." -Oliver Wendell Holmes
Ben07

The more you know about something, the more you find there is to know.

Reply #6   Feb 28, 2005 11:04 am
Just to add after you disco the fuel-line from the carb to drain and clean the fuel system.  Take the spark plug out and squirt some oil down in there. 

(actually I would do that first as with the plug out and pulling the rope slow you will not be trying to draw any fuel thry the system)

Then pull rope slowly and then a little more etc.  (a wd40 will work as maybe you will be able to get more of a mist around the cylinder wall, cause sometimes the s-plug hole is over by the valves on the l-head, thus you won't get a direct squirt into the cylinder itself.  Then use some heavier oil.

Ben07

This message was modified Feb 28, 2005 by Ben07

Ariens 8524LE, Toro CCR2000, Jacobsen S-B S-blowers, Generac 10hp Gen-convt. to N.G., 5 L-boys(D's F's &Dura( 74,77,80,88,00), Antiq. 1960 AYP 20 in. mag w 3.5 Tech mower. Ryan/Ryobi gas Trim. AYP 205 gas blwr. Mac c-saw,Toro E-blwr, 2 Weed-E e. stg. trims. outboards, boats, util trail, 2 Jeeps 
newtonian

Reply #7   Feb 28, 2005 11:33 am
I should have added it's being given to me because the fellow that owned it couldn't start it this year.  I tried (without much hope) and it didn't even sputter.

I don't have a garage or anything like that (yet) and the wife won't let me take this apart in the kitchen, so it's a springtime project.

2012 Ariens ST24DLE
Semi Retired Ariens 9526 in active reserve
Unknown vintage 5HP Ariens to restore

snowshoveler

tides in dirts out surfs up

Reply #8   Feb 28, 2005 5:36 pm
all very good advice so far but i will add my own 2 cents...

the fuel system is among the first thing to repair,that metal tank can be real bad it will foul the carb and lines but will also do some damage to valves and rings...that fine rst is very abrasive and will be just like a sandblaster.

points and condensor are a sure replacement...

next would be the impeller bearing...this is crutial to belt life and snowblowing ability.the ariens units have a good quality bearing there but with this ones age i would inspect it carefully.

if not replaced in time the impeller shaft will spin inside the bearing causing damage.

sometimes the shaft actually breaks just inside the gearbox.we dont usually see this problem with ariens machines but it is possible.

from there we go to belts and bushings and then maybe a friction disc.

it can add up to quite a few dollars but if you can do most of it yourself then we can help you through it.miss snowsnowshoveler can even help with part numbers if you like.

and when your done you will have a heavy duty machine that your kids will be fighting over.

later chris

craftsman 10/28 snowblower with tracks   husky 372xpg chainsaw   sachs dolmar bc212 bushsaw   mondo trimmer   monster tractor with trailer    cheep wheelbarro and couple shovels and a partridge in a pear tree 
Replies: 1 - 8 of 8View as Outline
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42