Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > blade sharpening and balancing

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
mogopeing

blade sharpening and balancing
Original Message   Feb 26, 2005 8:51 pm
I'm doing a tune-up on my lawnmower need tips for sharpening and balancing the blade.

Apreciate any tips.

Thanks

Mogopeing

Replies: 1 - 6 of 6View as Outline
buttlint

Re: blade sharpening and balancing
Reply #1   Feb 26, 2005 10:39 pm
Welcome to the forum, Mogopeing.
Do you have a large yard?
Marshall

As Long As There Are Tests, There Will Be Prayer In Public Schools. ;- )

Reply #2   Feb 26, 2005 11:03 pm
Type of grass too?
mikefla1

Let's get it!!!

Reply #3   Feb 27, 2005 9:02 pm
Mopgopeing, good subject i think because I change my blades every 2 weeks bout every 10 yards. I use a 41/2 inch hand grinder to sharpin them. I just dont think i get them sharp enough. I just put a good sharp edge on them and take a screw driver in the hole and see  if its balanced. Mopgoeing I'm not trying to take anything away from your question I just really need some good tips also. Thanks Mike

Exmark 48inch & Bridges 36inch walkbehind, Scotts 21 inch walk behind mower,Husqvarna trimmer and blower, Echo PE200 edger,Weedeater & Stihl HL45C hedge trimmers,Echo CS440 chain saw and a Stihl HT101 power pruner, and a El Cheapo pressure washer.
Walt

Do what you can, with what you have, where you are. -T. Roosevelt

Reply #4   Feb 27, 2005 9:23 pm
Part of good blade sharpening is the edge, and also the included angle.  If the angle is to low the blade will dull quickly, although it will be extremely sharp when you firat use it.  If it is too high it will not be sharp, but will last like that forever.

Buck knives used to be famous for "holding an edge", and they were sharpened at about 30 degrees.  Gerber was a sharper knife, although it dulled quicker because its angle was about 15 degrees.  Schrade was about 20 degrees; hence a happy medium.  (Materials obviously also play a roll in it, although this is a blade sharpening class, and not metallurgy 101.)

When I sharpen blades I hold it in a vise and stand at the end of the blade.  I then use a single edge file and lay it on the angle to be sharpened.  Rather than using the file in a "conventional" way, (in a sawing fashion), I use it to "scrape" the blade in one smooth action.  (to Tool and Die Makers this is called "draw filing" because you draw the file across the surface rather than using a sawing motion.)

This allows the file to be kept true to the desired angle, and also give a near surface grinder finish to the edge.  This method also removes less material so the blade will not become as uneven as easily as it could if using a grinder. 

If the blade is extremely dull I will first use a bench grinder to create somewhat of an edge.  A bench grinder allows one to control the desired angle by using the tool rest for one hands support while the other hand pulls the blade across the wheels surface.  Despite what one may believe, the part edge being sharpened should be at the top, not the bottom.  This allows one to see how much more needs to be taken off.  When the whole suface is ground one can see a small spark right at the edge coming over the blade.

I hope this helps,

Walt

This message was modified Feb 27, 2005 by Walt
mikefla1

Let's get it!!!

Reply #5   Mar 2, 2005 7:40 pm
Walt was a big help for me! Thanks for all the great tips. Thanks Mike

Exmark 48inch & Bridges 36inch walkbehind, Scotts 21 inch walk behind mower,Husqvarna trimmer and blower, Echo PE200 edger,Weedeater & Stihl HL45C hedge trimmers,Echo CS440 chain saw and a Stihl HT101 power pruner, and a El Cheapo pressure washer.
walbroman

Clean Carb Clean Machine

Reply #6   Mar 6, 2005 11:43 pm
I use a soft grinder wheel with a angle of 30 degrees, this sharpening is good for rough grass

Replies: 1 - 6 of 6View as Outline
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42