Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > Worth a look

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
mml4

Snow is good,
Deep snow is better!

Worth a look
Original Message   Feb 14, 2005 5:42 pm
Check out Ebay#4358052867. Never saw one before but I think I'm in love!

Must be Valentines day,

Marc

This message was modified Feb 14, 2005 by mml4

SnapperV210P,Toro22177,TroyBilt42010Snowthrower,Craftsman Shredder,American Turbo Pressure Washer HondaGX200,Stihl011Saw,EchoPas260Trimmer Edger,EchoPB602Blower,EchoHCR150Hedge Clipper
Replies: 31 - 37 of 37Next page of topicsPreviousAllView as Outline
boblloyd

"Forty-two," said Deep Thought, with infinite majesty and calm.

Re: Worth a look
Reply #31   Feb 22, 2005 11:28 pm
Richie,   You're quite right.   There's probably still some twisting in the chassis with an independent suspension but the shaft torque effect would be much smaller for sure - perhaps negligible.   Also the effect would certainly be zero in a transverse transaxle common in front drive cars.    I've used that emergency break trick myself to get out of a jam and it does work - sort of a poor man's traction control. 

Ben,   I suspect  we still disagree somewhat on how differentials work but it's been a lively discussion anyway.      -Bob

18Degrees

Reply #32   Feb 22, 2005 11:58 pm
back to the question on the 4 wheeled  snow blower, how does the blower drive the 4 wheels ?                          18 degrees

18 Degree driveway - 928 Honda track drive - Fertilizer spreader for dispensing salt
Ben07

The more you know about something, the more you find there is to know.

Reply #33   Feb 23, 2005 12:49 am
boblloyd wrote:

Ben,   I suspect  we still disagree somewhat on how differentials work but it's been a lively discussion anyway.      -Bob

Thx Bob I appreciate your comments.  I'd be willing to bet if we were talking in person over a couple of beers, we would be able to explain each others aspects much better,  and not disagree as much as it appears. ,, and learn more in the process.  Two heads are better than one etc. 

Hard to do some of that in the forum , typing on a computer, context, emphasis gets confusing etc. 

If you can ever help me out  feel free to step in. I'll do the same.

Regards Ben07   

Ariens 8524LE, Toro CCR2000, Jacobsen S-B S-blowers, Generac 10hp Gen-convt. to N.G., 5 L-boys(D's F's &Dura( 74,77,80,88,00), Antiq. 1960 AYP 20 in. mag w 3.5 Tech mower. Ryan/Ryobi gas Trim. AYP 205 gas blwr. Mac c-saw,Toro E-blwr, 2 Weed-E e. stg. trims. outboards, boats, util trail, 2 Jeeps 
Ben07

Reply #34   Feb 23, 2005 1:25 am
18Degrees wrote:
back to the question on the 4 wheeled  snow blower, how does the blower drive the 4 wheels ?                          18 degrees

I believe it came out that the person who looked at it said all four wheels turned, as they were directly hooked up to the drive line.  They said there was a trigger on each handle that lets use the example if you wanted to turn left you would activate the left trigger and it would in essence disconnect  the left two wheels from the system, and they would then be free wheeling.

I think it may be similar to what toro has, on their high end models, so you could research there.  IWill PM someone whom I think has that sys and see if he will post here as I wanted to ask him how it worked anyway

Ariens 8524LE, Toro CCR2000, Jacobsen S-B S-blowers, Generac 10hp Gen-convt. to N.G., 5 L-boys(D's F's &Dura( 74,77,80,88,00), Antiq. 1960 AYP 20 in. mag w 3.5 Tech mower. Ryan/Ryobi gas Trim. AYP 205 gas blwr. Mac c-saw,Toro E-blwr, 2 Weed-E e. stg. trims. outboards, boats, util trail, 2 Jeeps 
Richie

Bring On The White Stuff

Reply #35   Feb 23, 2005 7:26 am
Folks, why would a company put four tires on a machine like that only to drive two of them while the other two simply free-wheel.  EACH side drives and at least ONE SIDE can be disengaged like a Toro or similar snowblower, which gives it great manuverablilty.  Whether Cub Cadet's systems is good or durable, I have no idea.  The only thing I don't know is if it actually has a trigger for each side like a Toro, or if it only has one trigger to disengage only one side like the Simplicity's models had several years ago.

Richie
Ben07

Reply #36   Feb 23, 2005 4:21 pm
Richie where does your Toro disengage at

Ben 07

Richie

Bring On The White Stuff

Reply #37   Feb 24, 2005 10:31 am
Ben07 wrote:
Richie where does your Toro disengage at

It actually seems like a simple design to me.  Like with any snowblower, everything happens underneath under the hood.  Directly in front of the friction disc there's an assembly called a pawl-clutch sprocket.  It appears to serve a similar function as a pressure plate does on a car, including spring loaded fingers.  In front of that is the wheel axle, which is actually two axles, each with it's own 44 tooth sprocket, separated by what's called a tube axle, which until you pull a trigger, actually allows both axles to work as one. 
So it doesn't have one continuous solid axle like my old snowblower had of course.  When either trigger is pulled, it disengages that side, enabling the opposite side to remain powered.  When both triggers are pulled simultaneously, it's like shifting into neutral.    

Richie
Replies: 31 - 37 of 37Next page of topicsPreviousAllView as Outline
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42