Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > question for the tool savy

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
Mang

question for the tool savy
Original Message   Feb 22, 2005 5:57 pm
with one of thesedo I have to use impact socket's,  it seems to me that regular sockets would be ok since it only delivers 45 ft/lbs of torque.

any help would be apreciated, and sorry if I'm not supposed to ask questions like this here, it won't be a regular thing.

Replies: 1 - 10 of 10View as Outline
snowshoveler

tides in dirts out surfs up

Re: question for the tool savy
Reply #1   Feb 22, 2005 6:00 pm
i us e one thats a heavy duty version and have never broken a socket .most uf us in the trade use them with the thinwall  type socket.

you can easily out power one of them with a rachet .so i have no problem with them.

later chris

craftsman 10/28 snowblower with tracks   husky 372xpg chainsaw   sachs dolmar bc212 bushsaw   mondo trimmer   monster tractor with trailer    cheep wheelbarro and couple shovels and a partridge in a pear tree 
Mang

Reply #2   Feb 22, 2005 6:07 pm
thanks, I knew someone would pull through for me.

I was hoping I could get a way with it.   I once shattered a thin wall with an impact wrench and shrapnel barely missed my eye, so I didn't want to make the same mistake twice.

Gilsons

Let it snow, in southern Maine

Reply #3   Feb 22, 2005 8:17 pm
I've used good common sockets for light work without problems. I'd be wary of shattering elceapo sockets.

6 pont sockets are preferred. Remember that it is an impach tool and that a 12 point may beat the heck out of a stuborn bolt.

I'd be even more conservative with a  1/2 inch gun.

I got a modest set of deep impact sockets and they are serving me well.

Remember that it is an impact tool a torque is not the whole story.

Pete

bontaiJoe

If it's free, it's for me!

Reply #4   Feb 23, 2005 9:29 am
And you should be wearing safety glasses when operating ANY KIND of power tool. Eyes are too precious to put at risk. I've had a doc use a magnet to pull metal out of my eyes, and so I know what I'm talking about. Thank goodness my eyesight was not affected, but I'm paranoid about protecting my eyes now. Be careful out there!

"Man's mind stretched to a new idea, never goes back to its original dimension." -Oliver Wendell Holmes
MountainMan

Overpowered is Usually Adequate

Reply #5   Feb 23, 2005 10:47 am
Ive used my regular sockets with one of those on my sled trailer. No problem. A Real impact gun though can and will break sockets. been there, donr that. thats why i buy Craftsman tools. Full warantee.

I also bought some Impat sockets on sale last fall

Ariens 1128PRO- Honda Generator_ Husky 480-257 Jonsered 2050Turbo- Shindiawa T2500 SCAG Mower -little wonder blower-Sears track blower-Coleman Generator- Bombadier ATV-Stihl HS-45 Etc-Etc-Etc
bbwb

Less is more...more or less

Reply #6   Feb 23, 2005 5:04 pm
I too have to chime in about the safety glasses as well...WEAR THEM!!!!.  I now always wear them while working with tools.  Many years ago I was finishing up on some minor electrical work I was tightening up the box to the masonry wall.  I took the screw driver and just slightly twisted the screw and a small corner of the screw fractured off and stuck into the white part of my right eye.  I then had to proceed to remove the small triangular piece of metal from my eye while standing in front of the mirror.  Fortunately there was no damage...Call it a wake up call because one episode like this will make you a believer!  I just go nuts watching TLC's In a Fix when the "carpenters" are using saws etc...with out eye protection!  One episode, the one worker got something in his eye and had to go to the doctor to get it out...How dumb

bbwb

Michael

Snow, What Snow?

Reply #7   Feb 24, 2005 11:37 am
Mang wrote:
with one of thesedo I have to use impact socket's,  it seems to me that regular sockets would be ok since it only delivers 45 ft/lbs of torque.

any help would be apreciated, and sorry if I'm not supposed to ask questions like this here, it won't be a regular thing.

I have used something similar for years when I used to be a vehicle mechanic,  Today I work on aircraft and we do not use them but I still do work on the side and I have used mine for over 20 years.  Mine is a Snap-On it is durable,  I also second the safety glasses and also recommend hearing protection.

Kubota L-185 w/ FEL

John Deere L120 Lawn Tractor

terrapin24h

The more I learn the less i know

Reply #8   Feb 24, 2005 2:12 pm
I use which ever is closest, which is usually impact(all my air tools are in one tool box along with the sockets) but i have used non impact.  The air ratchets are non impact so if you're using a good qual non impact socket(craftsman, sk, snap on etc) i don't see any worry.  as others have said you def wnat to use impact grade sockets with impact wrenches, if for no other reason thier increased mass helps to amplify the impact effect, not to mention safety reasons :)  If you are looking, harbor freight has some nice socket sets, i have 3 of them myself.  2 sets of deepwell(SAE and MET) and then a std set of impacts that are both sae and met.

--chris
2001 Homelite VacAttack Blower
2001 6hp Toro PPace 22" mower
2001 Ariens 824LE
2002 6hp 2400 PSI Excell Powerwasher
2004 18hp Craftsman 27375 42" mower
2004 42cc Craftsman 18" chainsaw
uc113

Reply #9   Feb 24, 2005 10:42 pm
You can use normal sockets with it.  However,  I wouldn't recommend it as a practice.  You are always better to use the impact sockets.  Over time your normal sockets will weaken when using them with an air tool, when it will happen who knows.  The nexxt time you may go to use it with a ratchet and it could crack or snap.  That could be years down the raod or the next time you use it.  Just a thought to consider.  Always wear your safety glasses.
Ben07

The more you know about something, the more you find there is to know.

Reply #10   Feb 25, 2005 12:39 am
terrapin24h wrote:
I use which ever is closest, which is usually impact(all my air tools are in one tool box along with the sockets) but i have used non impact.  The air ratchets are non impact so if you're using a good qual non impact socket(craftsman, sk, snap on etc) i don't see any worry.  as others have said you def wnat to use impact grade sockets with impact wrenches, if for no other reason thier increased mass helps to amplify the impact effect, not to mention safety reasons :)  If you are looking, harbor freight has some nice socket sets, i have 3 of them myself.  2 sets of deepwell(SAE and MET) and then a std set of impacts that are both sae and met.

I will vouch for those Harbor freight sockets.  Busted three good 6pt sockets on two differ cars of same model for same type exhaust job within 2 months (you would think I would have learned the first time) , don't have the sizes need in metric. go borrow buddies.  very impressed with the thickness and strength of them.  Reason I am stating  Is Terrapin may be able to confirm this, is they are also a great price.   Craftsmam  like 60 dollars  Harbor freight's like I think he said 12 bucks  not sure.

Ben07

This message was modified Feb 25, 2005 by Ben07

Ariens 8524LE, Toro CCR2000, Jacobsen S-B S-blowers, Generac 10hp Gen-convt. to N.G., 5 L-boys(D's F's &Dura( 74,77,80,88,00), Antiq. 1960 AYP 20 in. mag w 3.5 Tech mower. Ryan/Ryobi gas Trim. AYP 205 gas blwr. Mac c-saw,Toro E-blwr, 2 Weed-E e. stg. trims. outboards, boats, util trail, 2 Jeeps 
Replies: 1 - 10 of 10View as Outline
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42