Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > Richie got me hooked!

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
bbwb

Less is more...more or less

Richie got me hooked!
Original Message   Feb 20, 2005 8:57 pm
Well, I had the seed planted in my brain by Richie installing an adjustable carburator on his machine....It didn't take too long for it to take root and start me thinking.  I purchased an adjustable carburator on ebay (rebuilt) for $58.  This weekend I installed it and now have it tweeked to run well.  No problem installing it, only had to make some adjustment to the govenor and the high speed limit screw to get the rpm's below 3700.  I had a little problem getting the low speed mixture screw to do anything..  After futzing around I finally got it to do its thing and got it adjusted to perfection.  The tec engine generally does run smoother and appears to have some additional umph.  I got to use it twice today to continue "testing" it. (By the way I now have 11hrs of use since January).  All seems to be well.  Sometimes I get the occasional "pop" or hick-up when idling at full throttle but it does not seem to hinder the abilities of this engine.  All in All I am 95% sure that this was a good move to make.  My EPA carb did not display the problems with surging or power...just made the engine shake like hell!

So far the redesigned chain tensioner is working as it should with no problems...I will keep my fingers crossed

bbwb

Replies: 20 - 29 of 29Next page of topicsPreviousAllView as Outline
bbwb

Re: Richie got me hooked!
Reply #20   Feb 23, 2005 5:31 pm
Marshall  

I used to work in an autoparts store about 22yrs ago, and they used to sell "test pipes" that could be install in place of the converter to "test" if it was bad.  I don't know if they still make such a thing.

bbwb

Marshall

As Long As There Are Tests, There Will Be Prayer In Public Schools. ;- )

Reply #21   Feb 23, 2005 5:42 pm
bbwb,

I'm down here is Gods country where most farmers and outdoorsmen cut them off anyway. I went from using the original one to putting on Hi-performance cat's to just having them cut them off and put a piece of exhaust pipe in it's place, in other words no cat at all.

I lost a new Chevy Silverado 1/2 ton 4X4 Ext cab with a custom fiberglass camper shell to fire one time because of the catalytic converter starting a fire under the truck while it was parked, actually buried in mud/clay. The hot cat started the pasture on fire under the truck and I couldn't get the truck out, watched it burn.

I swore that day I would never run one again if I could by bypass it. I still keep them though just in case.

(we don't have state inspections)
This message was modified Feb 23, 2005 by Marshall
Richie

Bring On The White Stuff

Reply #22   Feb 24, 2005 3:47 pm
Robert,

Since you have the new carburetor nicely tuned, it's a good idea to check the color of the plug once in a while.  I was able to tune my carburetor so the plug electrode has a nice tan color to it, which is just the way I like it.  It used to be much lighter in color than that with the other carb.   

I wish I had my old EHT gauge handy, I'd love to know how much hotter, if at all, it ran with that lean carb it had.  I recall the range was, 375-425 degrees.  The EPA jetting is something like a #167.  I'd have to check my book, but I always thought jetting with a number that high was for altitude, but I'd have to say it doesn't matter since you'd have to lean out anyway at altitude.  Anyway, the spark plug tells the whole story. 

This message was modified Feb 24, 2005 by Richie

Richie
bbwb

Reply #23   Feb 24, 2005 5:08 pm
Hi Richie:

Yeah, I will check the plug to check the color.  Nothing beats the tan color in my book as well.  I am trying to think when I looked at it last .  I also have to believe that a smooth running engine is more efficient.  We are to get some snow on Sunday, 4"plus, so another workout with the Ariens is in order. 

The more I think about it the more that I am impressed with the throwing potential of my modified blower.  I feel so much better knowing that the drive chain will not leave me standed (locked up) at the end of the driveway.  I only wish that the drive components from the factory did not have the appearance of being designed by accountants!

By the way...you claim that Marshall started all this....think that he will chip in on the $ for the mods?

Robert

This message was modified Feb 24, 2005 by bbwb
Richie

Bring On The White Stuff

Reply #24   Feb 24, 2005 5:29 pm
bbwb wrote:

By the way...you claim that Marshall started all this....think that he will chip in on the $ for the mods?

Yeah, that drive modification you made was real impressive.  If I ever have a problem with my brand snowblower, I'm coming to you for help   As for Marshall, I'm actually grateful to him for putting a certain bug in my ear.  If not for him, I never would have started doing all that research on the HP/torque rankings of engines, nor would I have started on my quest to replace my carburetor.  I won't be asking him to chip in for my carburetor  Make sure you let us know how everything works on Sunday.

Richie
AJace

I have an Ariens 926 Pro because I like Orange

Reply #25   Feb 24, 2005 6:01 pm
I thought that BBWB had a Toro. 
Marshall, that was auful, and have heard about what can happen when parking my truck on grass if the hot parts get too close.  I think that state inspections are the best thing possible because you need to be safe.  Paying for them is another thing. 

Ariens 926 DLE Professional; Toro S200; Craftsman LT1000, Echo ES-230;

Yankeeblues

Reply #26   Feb 24, 2005 6:16 pm
Hi Folks,

I stumbled across your group while doing a search for Tecumseh snowblowers.  I was hoping to find an online troublshooting manual for my machine.  The last time I used it ( that two feet we got here in the NorthEast ) it began to lose power to the point of almost stalling.   This was after a couple of hours.  I had to play with the choke to keep it running, let it idle for a bit then continue.  Ran OK for a while and then the same thing would happen.

So I started it up this afternoon after checking out the forecast and the same thing happened right away...only it kept stalling.  I assumed ( very bad move ) that the idle could be adjusted and went and turned the screw on the carb.  Now it won't start at all

Have I messed things up big time or is there hope?

Pete

Richie

Bring On The White Stuff

Reply #27   Feb 24, 2005 6:24 pm
Hello Pete and welcome to our forum.

Please provide us with the year, make, and engine size that you have.  Being able to use it during that last big storm, it almost makes me think it was overheating.  As for the screw you turned, maybe you closed off the low idle mixture screw.  Please give more details.  Also, it may be better to create a new post on the main page of this forum.  This way you'll get the full benefit from all the talent Abby's has to offer. 

Richie
robmints

Reply #28   Feb 24, 2005 6:27 pm
Welcome Pete,

Tecumseh manual
I don't know if it is supposed to be free. But it is the 3 to 11 HP 4 cycle manual in PDF.

Real carb help will come from those that know. You will need to post model numbers and such. Might as well do that a while.

You could start a new thread if you chose.
bbwb

Reply #29   Feb 24, 2005 8:20 pm
Hi Pete & Welcome

On your blower, try turning the same screw back out and see if you get back to square one.  From there, you might be able to slightly turn the screw to get it to run right.  Also, make sure that you have new gas in the tank...old gas for some reason does not like to burn.

Richie, Thanks for the compliment....I am not sure that I did anything that someone else might not have figured out.

The weatherman tells me that I might get 1-3" tonight in addition to the Sunday snow event.  Man I love this!!!!

I don't even recall changing the plug on the blower yet...might still be factory issue.  I do have a new plug waiting in the wings.

bbwb

Replies: 20 - 29 of 29Next page of topicsPreviousAllView as Outline
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42