Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > Okay, Stupid Question Time

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
bbwb

Less is more...more or less

Okay, Stupid Question Time
Original Message   Feb 19, 2005 11:35 am
I am contemplating installing my new adjustable carburator on my 10hp tecumseh engine....the red choke knob, how is it attached to the rod...threads? just pressed on?

Please let me know the secret of the tec engine.

bbwb

Replies: 14 - 23 of 23Next page of topicsPreviousAllView as Outline
Richie

Bring On The White Stuff

Re: Okay, Stupid Question Time
Reply #14   Feb 21, 2005 6:17 pm
Mang wrote:
I'll take it to a dealer then,  for some reason I didn't think you could change the jet in these carbs,  I'll let you know how it works out.

Mang,

Sure you can.  It's just a fixed jetting rather than the older/better adjustable type.  Once the fixed jet (EPA version) is installed, the engine should start right up and run.  No further adjustment necessary.  The adjustable carburetor that I installed requires minor adjustments once started.  The difference is that I can dial in the fuel mixture for varied conditions and get the engine to run as smooth as possible. 

Richie
jubol

Reply #15   Feb 21, 2005 6:39 pm
 Richie,

The adjustable CARB should solve it all, If that is the way he wants to go !!

When you turn the screws you are either making it richer or leaner.

If he did that , that is, buy the adjustable carb, he might be better off as you are.

Fred  IMHO  

This message was modified Feb 21, 2005 by jubol

Husqvarna STE927(11.5HP) snowblower,  MTD Pro Series 18/42 Lawnmower, MTD 6.5 HP  Self Prop Lawn Mower,  Weedeater 1500 Blower, Web Gensis  2000 
Mang

Reply #16   Feb 21, 2005 6:48 pm
I think I read some where on here that the oxygenated gas leans out the mixture a little,  So if I just leave it the way it  is, that might help compensate for the elevation change,  and I guess the colder it is the better it will run to,  more air
This message was modified Feb 21, 2005 by Mang
Richie

Bring On The White Stuff

Reply #17   Feb 21, 2005 6:59 pm
jubol wrote:

The adjustable CARB should solve it all, If that is the way he wants to go !!

When you turn the screws you are either making it richer or leaner.

Hey there Fred,

I was actually suggesting that Mang change only the main nozzle bowl nut because that fix would only cost maybe $8.00.  I didn't want to recommend that he spends $55.00-$75.00 for an adjustable carburetor only to close up the mixture screw in order to lean it out.  I also assume this snowblower is used exclusively at altitude, if not, perhaps an adjustable carb may be a better bet.  In the end, an adjustable carb allows you to fine tune.  Fred, I'm sure either way should solve the problem.  I'm an adjustable carb man myself

Richie
bbwb

Reply #18   Feb 21, 2005 7:40 pm
Wow, this thread has taken a life of its own....

I am one of the fortunate ones who did not have that many issues with the EPA carb.  My blower always started right up and ran well without surging or acceleration problems.  What got me going on the adjustable carb was the post by Richie (Yes, Richie you did this to me) who stated that the new carb allowed the engine to run alot smoother.  My engine always vibrated what I thought was too much...it actually caused the blower to move on its own from the vibs.  The new carb, now adjusted properly has smoothed out the beast quite a bit.  I think that I now have some more power but I always seemed to have enough.  This last weekend I used my neighbors 10hp Ariens that is about 8yrs old.  His engine sure runs alot smoother and always did compared to mine.  His blower has an adjustable carb.  I noticed that his machine did not seem to have the same amount of umph that mine does.  I believe that his machine could use some adjustments the governor and the carb, but I am not going to mess with them, with my luck, something would break and I would have to get it fixed.

bbwb

Richie

Bring On The White Stuff

Reply #19   Feb 21, 2005 7:58 pm
bbwb wrote:
 What got me going on the adjustable carb was the post by Richie (Yes, Richie you did this to me) who stated that the new carb allowed the engine to run alot smoother. 

Robert,

I really have to stop hijacking everyone's threads around here, I'm actually surprised nobody has said anything  By the way, you blame me, but I in turn blame Marshall for everything I've been posting.  This includes the Tecumseh HP/torque thread, me purchasing a new carb, and all the hassle I've been going through dealing with these engine manufacturers trying to get a straight answer to my questions.  I actually have a file folder nearly 1-1/2" thick now filled with engine performance charts, tips and tricks, and well, you name it, I've got it.    Believe it or not, I actually do have a life beyond snowblowers too 

BTW...your finely tuned engine will have no problems doing anything your neighbors 10 HP blower can do.  If anything, you should be able to out perform his machine under the same conditions.

Richie
bbwb

Reply #20   Feb 21, 2005 8:03 pm
I am just one of those guys who figures if it does not run perfect, there must be a better way to make it do it..  It does not take to much to plant a seed in my head to get it to grow.

I will admit that my neighbors machine has a much, much better drive train than mine has.  His will outlast mine by decades.

bbwb

Mang

Reply #21   Feb 22, 2005 11:22 am
sorry to highjack your thread.   I agree all this talk about things that can be done, I also want my machine to run as close to perfect as possible.
bbwb

Reply #22   Feb 22, 2005 2:47 pm
Mang and Richie:

No appologies needed...I don't mind having additional thoughts added to the conversation.....at least I know people are reading the post

bbwb

Richie

Bring On The White Stuff

Reply #23   Feb 26, 2005 9:38 pm
Mang wrote:

I would love to replace my carb, at 4400ft I'm losing some hp

Hi Mang,

Once you pass 3,000ft elevation, you may also want to consider tossing out the standard heat range spark plug and going with a hotter one.  One range hotter, perhaps two.  Once you do that, check the plug regularly to confirm it's burning the correct color.  As for the spark plug gap, going with .028 rather than .030 the owners manual recommends is preferred, and it what I gap my plug at.  It is possible to regain a small portion of the HP loss you are experiencing due to your altitude, but that would require advancing the timing several degrees on the engine.  I'd see your dealer about making that modification to your flywheel. 

Richie
Replies: 14 - 23 of 23Next page of topicsPreviousAllView as Outline
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42