Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > Briggs & Stratton Engine HP Disclaimer

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
Richie

Bring On The White Stuff

Briggs & Stratton Engine HP Disclaimer
Original Message   Feb 16, 2005 12:40 pm

At least Briggs has all this in writing on their website it you know enough to look for it.  Obviously Tecumseh and any other engine manufacturer follows this same rating procedure.  Pretty lousy numbers when you think about gross HP as opposed to BHP that we are really concerned with.  Still, they don't mention if this rating system takes into account the very lean EPA carburetors, so I'd have to say no, which means its even worse.  If you look at the last paragraph that I highlighted in RED, this supposedly 8 hp engine I have that is run in ACTUAL conditions and NOT in optimum laboratory conditions, has a pitiful rating, as do all of our engines.

Horsepower Ratings

The power ratings shown with the individual engine series on the preceding pages are established in accordance with SAE (Society of Automotive Engineers) code J1940 (Small Engine Power & Torque Rating Procedure) (Proposed Revision 2001-09). Power curve and engine performance data are obtained in accordance with SAE J1349 (Net) or J1995 (Gross) Engine Power Test Codes.

In accordance with SAE J1349 (Net) or J1995 (Gross) Engine Power Test Codes, power curves are developed from laboratory test engines and are corrected to standard conditions which are:

Altitude: 100 meters (328 ft)
Ambient Temperature: 77 F (25 C)

If the engine will be operated under ambient conditions different from above standard conditions, the following factors should be accounted for in estimating "on site" power output:

Engine power will decrease 3.5% for each 1000 ft (300 m) above sea level and 1% for each 10 F (5.6 C) above standard temperature of 60 F (15.6 C).

The actual "on site" power output will also vary depending on other factors including the manner in which the engine is operated, the fuel that is used, and the application in which it is installed.

The "Maximum BHP" curve represents maximum performance output of optimum laboratory test engines of a particular model. A statistical mean of production engines, with 95% confidence, will develop no less than 85% of the Maximum BHP when tested after run-in to reduce friction and after clean-out of combustion chamber, with valves, carburetor and ignition systems adjusted to laboratory standards.

The "Recommended Maximum Operating BHP" is a calculated curve and represents 85% of the maximum BHP curve. For practical operation, BHP load and speed should be within the limits shown in the "Recommended Maximum Operating BHP" curve.

If the maximum speed of the engine specified for a given application is governed to a speed less than the speed at which the Maximum BHP occurs, the engine will not achieve the Maximum BHP in that application. For applications requiring operation at other than the recommended engine speeds, complete details of the proposed engine installation should be referred to the factory for evaluation.

Source:  Briggs & Stratton Technical/Warranty
http://www.commercialpower.com/display/router.asp?DOCID=76491

This message was modified Feb 16, 2005 by Richie

Richie
Replies: 14 - 23 of 23Next page of topicsPreviousAllView as Outline
Richie

Bring On The White Stuff

Re: Briggs & Stratton Engine HP Disclaimer
Reply #14   Feb 16, 2005 9:56 pm
snowshoveler wrote:
the lawnmower is a bit of a different story,your gonna love this.
the engine is capable of its 6.5 horsepower.however the blade is the limiting factor.
there is a certain rpm allowed for the length of blade installed on the mower.

Chris,

I actually read something about that recently, so I'm back to full agreement with you    What got to me about it was the more I kept digging around on this subject, more and more instances I found that clearly show how rampant one dirty little secret after another exists in the OPE engine industry.

Richie
Marshall

As Long As There Are Tests, There Will Be Prayer In Public Schools. ;- )

Reply #15   Feb 16, 2005 9:58 pm
"I suppose the way things are, it's a no win situation for the consumer."

Well, that might be taking it a tad too far. LOL 

When you get down to the nut cutting, if you bought an engine that will throw your snow how you imagined it to be thrown with the HP you thought you bought, regardless of what the sticker says on the cowling, you're winning.

But, I know what you're saying.
MountainMan

Overpowered is Usually Adequate

Reply #16   Feb 16, 2005 10:41 pm
Richie wrote:

Mountain,

I have to agree with you on that one  The problem is that over-powered or purchasing more engine than you may need is really expensive.  I suppose the way things are, it's a no win situation for the consumer.

Not much different than getting the upgraded larger motor in a truck.  I couldove bought the 9 HP 24", but went to a 1128. Noty like i was doubling the price.

On my 48" mower, price diff between a single cylinder and the Kawasaki twin was negligible, a worthwhile investment. The 15 HP is there when you need it, and if I ever selll it, will hold its value.

Ariens 1128PRO- Honda Generator_ Husky 480-257 Jonsered 2050Turbo- Shindiawa T2500 SCAG Mower -little wonder blower-Sears track blower-Coleman Generator- Bombadier ATV-Stihl HS-45 Etc-Etc-Etc
Richie

Bring On The White Stuff

Reply #17   Feb 17, 2005 7:47 am
MountainMan wrote:

Not much different than getting the upgraded larger motor in a truck.  I couldove bought the 9 HP 24", but went to a 1128. Noty like i was doubling the price.

Mountain,

I certainly understand your point, and it would have more resale value than say purchasing the same snowblower as an 8 HP as opposed to getting an 11 or 13 HP.  Getting the top HP rated machine would always be far easier to sell later on, no question about that

But in my case, I didn't want to go for the 11hp OHV engine that raised the purchase cost another $400.00.  The ultimate cost would have been $1,649.00 rather than $1,249.00.  The downside to purchasing a snowblower or any piece of OPE with the biggest engine is that it plays right into the manufacturers fraudulent advertising practices.  That is basically one of several points I was trying to make.

I would imagine since the average consumer is not aware of all these posts in here on this subject, I would have to say you're reasoning behind getting the top HP machine is definitely sound and makes sense.  In the end, you have a desirable machine that someone would certainly want to take off your hands.

I'm just happy there are many on this forum that at least have had a chance to read all of this and are one up on the average consumer.

Richie
Richie

Bring On The White Stuff

Reply #18   Feb 17, 2005 11:00 am
MountainMan wrote:

All the more reason for " OVER-POWERED IS USUALLY ADEQUATE"

Hey Mountain,

I think this qualifies in that area  Here is a really great way to make any OPE engine come to life.  It just goes to show you that no matter what size engine you have, you can always find a company that produces high performance products for it.  Too bad a snowblower would be difficult to modify for this type of thing.  Sure looks real cool and it could make a Briggs 5 HP or larger OPE engine scream

http://www.hscsupercharger.com/

Richie
Marshall

As Long As There Are Tests, There Will Be Prayer In Public Schools. ;- )

Reply #19   Feb 17, 2005 11:33 am
That would make a Go Cart a screamer!
Richie

Bring On The White Stuff

Reply #20   Feb 17, 2005 3:55 pm
Marshall wrote:
That would make a Go Cart a screamer!

Marshall,

When I read that, the first thought in my head was as a kid I saw that Munster's episode when Herman decides to take Eddie's go-kart for a ride.  Of course it was filmed in fast forward to make it look like it was going much faster...LOL.  I could imagine that supercharger  on a go-kart, it wouldn't surprise me if that's how fast it would actually appear to go

Richie
nibbler

Reply #21   Feb 19, 2005 8:49 am
I'm not sure what the fuss is about. My reading of the original post is that  what they are saying is this:

1. We tested our engines using the following independant standard;
2. Here are the implications of that standard;
3. Here is how production engines relate to the standard; and
4. Here is how we set up production engines, differently from the standard.

It seems very above board and a lot more honest than the so called "9HP" shop vacumns that run on a 115V 15A circuit.

Engines produce different HP under different conditions, that's why there are standard conditions, so you can compare apples to apples. The fact that the company is saying that under normal, non-ideal conditions for an extended period of time the engine produces less shouldn't surprise anyone. They, along with other manufacturers design to meet the standard. If they could come up with a design for an equal or lower price that causes more HP to appear  under "normal" conditions you can bet they would. The physics of the situation make that unlikely.

I'd also argue that "over powered is better" is not true. While it is convenient to have a machine that easily handles the one storm in a hundred it also means that you have too big a machine for the other 99 and have wasted a lot of resources and effort. The smaller machine that fits what you need most of the time will handle the big storm, just not as easily. I see three types of people buying snowblowers:

1. Doesn't research, walks in and gets something too small because its on sale;
2. Has more money than brains, buys biggest baddest  machine around and then wonders why its a pain to clear the 27" walkway; and
3. Everyone in this discussion area who always get exactly what they need .

I hope I've moved from about around 2.5 to 3. I have a 10/28 that I am pleased with and enjoy using. It is actually too big and heavy for my usage patterns and snow patterns. My next machine will be a 9/26 with different options, the 2 big things being an easier way to turn the thing and faster ground speed.
Richie

Bring On The White Stuff

Reply #22   Feb 19, 2005 9:40 am
nibbler wrote:
I'm not sure what the fuss is about. My reading of the original post is that  what they are saying is this:

The fuss is about any OPE engine supplier being allowed to place a sticker on an engine, stating a certain HP, yet being allowed to rate the HP and torque at a certain RPM, and actually delivering it to you at a much lower governed speed and never coming close to what it's supposed to be. 

This independent standard the industry is allowed to use is a complete joke.  Because of this, my 8 HP engine only produces somewhere maybe slightly above 6 HP.  A lawn mower generally doesn't require much HP unless the grass is wet or very over grown.  A snowblower or similar equipment usually requires the engine to work much harder.  It would be one thing to say I have an 8 HP engine, and once the power transfers from the crank to the gearbox, pulleys, belts and such, the power available is actually 6 HP.  That would be fine with me if they looked at that as gross Vs. net horse power.  I'd still be able to say I have an 8 HP engine, but that isn't the case here.

If manufacturers rated the engines correctly, producing the real world HP at the specified governed engine speed, rather than some fictitious unrealistic laboratory number, none of these posts would have ever been started.  It's fraud plain and simple.  Didn't you see that disclaimer from LawnBoy??  Do you always read the fine print (yes I know we all should) if not, you go home thinking you have a 6.5 HP mower, when it fact it is somewhere over 3 HP.

Richie
Ben07

The more you know about something, the more you find there is to know.

Reply #23   Feb 19, 2005 12:58 pm

Too add to Richie's Great explanation.  There is also the question, of maybe selling the same powerplant, badged with two different HP numbers.  That could be legal if you add the disclaimer that Richie dug up from Briggs and Lawnboy. 

The test has a guideline that takes a reading (yes usually a percentage of) at the max hp produced on the HP graph..  So say thet we use a tech 9HP.  Seems the manufactured now maybe has two options,  He can put it on a machine and say it is an 8 as that is all that it will develop at the operating speed of the machine.  However from what we have been seeing, and somewhat really looking at to see if it can be disproved, is do they have the other option of Tagging the engine as a 9HP  and in the fine print, making note that your machine won't necessarily produce 9.   That along with the other aspects Richie  mentioned may all be a problem..

If someone wants to ignor it, fine, no problem, as some of it may be false.  However ignoring it and disproving it with applying facts are two completely different aspects.

Richie tried to question it, fair amount of disbelief, however he then proved his side with facts.  You want to buy more machine, less, say the test is standard, which it is, however the results can be given to the consumer different contexts, thus allowed with hidden hard to find fine print disclaimers. That is fine and entirely your choice.In my opinion If you choose not to ignor it I think it enables you to be a better consumer.  Also a consumer who will know better ho to get a better value for their money.  Best example is the higher stated output  engine in the same category, probably has a higher mark-up from the manufacturers actual cost, It is probably not one of the machines that like home depot gets a lot of.  The manuf would supply more to the depot with the lower mark-up  and the higher mark-up to the dealer. Why cause the dealer needs more profit to survive, The manufacturer gets somewhat offset by the HD buyers not claiming as much warranty service for the miniscule problems. they fix them themselves.(the owner of the machine)  

An example of it helping you as a consumer would be to go into the dealer and saying why is it 400 dollars more for this machine.  before he speaks, you say it is not 400 for handwarners, 20 bucks cost for them, drift cutters,  20 bucks cost .  2 more inches of snow box.  maybe 75 dollars in manufacturing differential..  and I know that engine says a 9  but it is the exact same engine as the 8,  just the rating trick they seem to be allowed to use.  Sure he will maybe be stupid and loose your sell.  however he is gonna talk to the manufacturers and say I think we ought to cut this out,  or we are going to be out of business sooner or later, like your fathers oldsmobile.   (because of a negative image etc) or like lawnboy who tried to sell two lines of mowers, one a little cheaper to manufacturer.  Lawnboy still made the good high quality Supreme, however lot of consumers saying I heard lawnboys are now junk etc.  They lost a lot of market share there.  And to boot they had those problems when they did in no way disguise the lesser quality model by calling it a "utility" and stating that it had lesser features than the high end model.  Now we are talking about a marketing strategy that may be designed to give you less than what is advertized and really not adequately informing you, by disguizing it with a marketing ploy.  All that tells me is most of  the small engine manufacturers are in bed together.  kinda like a monopoly

Ben07

This message was modified Feb 19, 2005 by Ben07

Ariens 8524LE, Toro CCR2000, Jacobsen S-B S-blowers, Generac 10hp Gen-convt. to N.G., 5 L-boys(D's F's &Dura( 74,77,80,88,00), Antiq. 1960 AYP 20 in. mag w 3.5 Tech mower. Ryan/Ryobi gas Trim. AYP 205 gas blwr. Mac c-saw,Toro E-blwr, 2 Weed-E e. stg. trims. outboards, boats, util trail, 2 Jeeps 
Replies: 14 - 23 of 23Next page of topicsPreviousAllView as Outline
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42