Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > 30 Year Old Technology

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
KRoach

30 Year Old Technology
Original Message   Feb 15, 2005 6:58 pm
My Dad bought an AMF lawnmower in the 1960's, that has a small lever that raises and lowers the blade.  It takes a whopping 2 seconds to change the blade height.  Yet I can't seem to find this technology in any of the new lawnmowers.  Does anyone know of a push mower that can quickly change cutting height?
Replies: 1 - 3 of 3View as Outline
skyking3

Re: 30 Year Old Technology
Reply #1   Feb 16, 2005 7:51 am
not a bashing on anything in particular............

in a world of cheaply made products and $89 push mowers , technology like that wouldn't sell to the masses..................

too expensive..............

thats why i like the old stuff............

it lasts longer and works harder than todays equivilants.....................

my wife is on the other side of the OPE coin...............

she wants the new just for its looks.....................

bill

jgreen

Reply #2   Feb 16, 2005 8:48 am
My Scotts (Murray)   21" walk behind mower has a lever in the back that adjusts all the wheels at once.  I dont think they make that scotts mower anymore but I have seen the feature on other brands in that price range.(  $300)

John
Scotts 21" self propelled  mower
MTD  4.5 HP single stage snow thrower
Snapper 3 HP single stage snow thrower
Yardman 5HP two stage snowblower
Richie

Bring On The White Stuff

Reply #3   Feb 16, 2005 9:05 am
KRoach wrote:
My Dad bought an AMF lawnmower in the 1960's, that has a small lever that raises and lowers the blade.  It takes a whopping 2 seconds to change the blade height.  Yet I can't seem to find this technology in any of the new lawnmowers.  Does anyone know of a push mower that can quickly change cutting height?

Hi K,

What you describe is exactly how my nearly 30 year old LawnBoy self propelled mower works.  There is a lever on the rear frame of it that adjusts the blade height.  It also has 6 adjustment notches for each of the 4 wheels.  It's as adjustable as you get. 

Funny thing is that shortly after we purchased it, my older brother was not aware that 2-stroke engines require you to mix oil in the fuel.  He ran it with straight gas until it overheated and stalled.   I was able to get it running, but the compression was very bad.  The interesting thing is that it's been running with almost no compression all these years.  It still amazes me that I don't recall ever replacing the spark plug in it, and it has never fouled it.  I really only use it these days in tight spaces where my Sears 17 hp lawn tractor can't get to. 

Richie
Replies: 1 - 3 of 3View as Outline
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42