Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > Power Washer

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
OrchidCrazy

Power Washer
Original Message   Feb 13, 2005 7:46 am
Thinking ahead to spring, wondering about buying hubby a power washer. What advice can you guys give me on what to look for, decent brands, etc. I do not want to break the bank. It would be used for things like washing the house, deck, front walkway. Not sure what other uses it might have. House is a 2 story colonial, we live on a hill so one area is about 2 1/2 stories about ground when you add in the foundation that is above ground there. Wouldn't something with as small a footprint as can be had for it's size.

Thanks again for helping me out!

Sandy

Replies: 6 - 15 of 15Next page of topicsPreviousAllView as Outline
jogo

Re: Power Washer
Reply #6   Feb 13, 2005 12:02 pm
Look into Home Depot . They have several models. Look at the middle of the line  homeowner/proffesional. It is powered by a Honda engine. I believe it is a 5 hp. I bought it and  I am very happy with it. I am in similar situation. Washes house VERY well, walkway, etc.... . Works great on wood.  Hmmm... I think it was made by Excell. The Honda engine is why I bought it.

Red Max EB78001 blower
Echo PB1000 blower
Sears ? blower
Sears 16" chainsaw
John Deere STX38
Murray 21" push mower
Echo SRM1501 weed wacker
Excell/Honda pressure washer
Ariens 11528
Dave___in___CT

Deliberate often...
...decide once...

Reply #7   Feb 13, 2005 5:12 pm
Hi...

Mildew on siding...

"Can soemthing like this be used effectively to wash outside windows or will it just leave major streaking?"

Do no expect a power washer to remove the mildew spots completely... this usually takes scrubbing by hand then washing off...
I tried it on vinyl siding... black spots remained... had to scrub by hand...

Power washers take off the "big" stuff... not the fine dirt film... so windows won't be totally clean...

Ever wash a vehicle at a quarter car wash with the power hand-held wand ?  Big dirt goes bye-bye... the film of dirt has to be removed  by hand washing... then spraying...

An electric washer may meet your needs...

Dave...

Whether you think you can or you can't... you're right.
Henry Ford

BCS Tractor & snowblower

Richie

Bring On The White Stuff

Reply #8   Feb 13, 2005 8:16 pm
patsfan wrote:
   Do you think the  Windex that can be connected to a hose would work in a power washer  without causing harm ?

Hi Patsfan,

That is an interesting question.  When I originally purchased my pressure washer, I also picked up several one gallon solutions, one for washing the house and the other for washing the car.  As you may know, these solutions will only siphon to the nozzle using the low pressure nozzle.  Even so, these machines still tend to use huge amounts of it to the point it wasn't economical for me to keep purchasing them.  As with all things, the manufacturers frown on using any type of solution other than what is considered to be made for the pressure washer pump.  I can't say if Windex or the like would hurt the components that make up the pump, but if you find out dfferently, let us know.   What I would suggest if you find you want to use Windex, just make sure you run a good amount of regular water through the pump afterwards.  I myself would also look at the cost of what a gallon of Windex costs as opposed to a gallon of pressure washer cleaning solution. 

Richie
itzbinnice

Reply #9   Feb 13, 2005 9:39 pm
Sandy,

I have a Sears 6 HP witha Briggs Intek Engine rated at 2350 PSI, quite frankly I do not recommend this unit. It has a very poor functioning solution dispensing system, comes out more a stream than a spray. Spent hours  reading the manual and adjusting  but got no results. I thought perhaps I had a bad unit but I spoke with a friend who has the same unit,  his behaves the same. It's about 4 years old now so maybe the newer ones are better, but I sure as heck wouldn't buy another Sears.

Walt was correct in stating that your husband should not get too close to the cedar with the wand, it will gouge the wood since cedar is very soft. I learned the hard way, have several gouges in my cedar trellis structure. Way too deep for a sander to remove.

boblloyd

"Forty-two," said Deep Thought, with infinite majesty and calm.

Reply #10   Feb 13, 2005 10:04 pm
I have a Karcher 2400 psi with a 5HP Honda GC.  I've been pleased with mine through 2 years but there are an alarming number bad reviews on the web on Karchers so I won't recommend it.  The Honda 5HP is nice but sometimes prone to surging until completely warmed up and vibrates some under load.  I'd say the Briggs Intek on my snowblower runs nicer.   I'd stay away from the L-head vertical shaft motors like the Briggs Quantum - loud! 

They Troy-Bilt brand you see at Lowes is made by Briggs & Stratton Power Products (read the fine print on the ID tag)  and some models do have Honda motors. Go figure that!    -Bob

Walt

Do what you can, with what you have, where you are. -T. Roosevelt

Reply #11   Feb 13, 2005 10:30 pm
The one I have in my shed is a Karcher.  I haven't read any reviews, but it doesn't work well at all.

Walt 

terrapin24h

The more I learn the less i know

Reply #12   Feb 15, 2005 10:03 am
I have an excell(made by devilbiss) PW with a briggs motor on it.  Yup it is loud, but that's what hearing protection is for..  Cleans like the dickens tho' :)  I mix a fairly strong solution of simple green and use it to clean our vinyl sided house of mildew all the time, works great(and what's nice about SG is it won't kill plants or grass).  Of course the mildew comes back, cause the trees shade the house.  The only criticism i have of the thing is that after around 30 or 40 hours of use, i noticed motor oil everywhere along the bottom of the non carb side of the engine and some on the pump unit.  After checking, i found that the valve cover bolts were very loose(barely hand tight)  snugged'm down a bit used for 8 hours and all is well, no more oil leaky.

--chris
2001 Homelite VacAttack Blower
2001 6hp Toro PPace 22" mower
2001 Ariens 824LE
2002 6hp 2400 PSI Excell Powerwasher
2004 18hp Craftsman 27375 42" mower
2004 42cc Craftsman 18" chainsaw
Garandman

Reply #13   Mar 15, 2005 1:04 pm
For my uses (cleaning a car and back deck) an electric unit would be better than gas (because of storage and noise, mostly). I have heard that the Karcher electric units do not hold up, but that the Sistema electrics, built in Italy and with a lot of metal parts, are much better. Anyone using one?

I used an electric model at a boatyard last year, 1700 psi and 2gpm. It worked fine on our boat. But when I looked into it - $600.

I was just at Home Depot and the 5hp Honda powered Excello is $388. They had a less-expensive model with a Briggs & Stratton.
mikefla1

Let's get it!!!

Reply #14   Mar 15, 2005 3:26 pm
I got me a Wal-mart special. lol It's only 2000 psi but it takes care of the light work. Only paid 150.00 for it new

Exmark 48inch & Bridges 36inch walkbehind, Scotts 21 inch walk behind mower,Husqvarna trimmer and blower, Echo PE200 edger,Weedeater & Stihl HL45C hedge trimmers,Echo CS440 chain saw and a Stihl HT101 power pruner, and a El Cheapo pressure washer.
pecanmanwill

got a dog named Devon and a cat named Scooter and a She cat named Fluffy

Reply #15   Mar 15, 2005 6:36 pm
I also have a 1700 lb. pressure, electric model---works find for washing the car or truck or washing down the house.  One problem I have is occasionally it will start a cycle of doing nothing when I pull the trigger.  Called the service hotline and a lady told me what to do.  Seems the water in our area has chemicals that build up and causes the micro switches to malfunction.   The remedy---pour some vineger into the pump let it sit for a spell, flush it out and it will work like a dream.  States to prevent this, after each use pour some cooking oil into the pump.   Tried it and it works every time----Wish all of you the best and may God bless you now and always--Will

Will--sometimes called pecanmanwill
Replies: 6 - 15 of 15Next page of topicsPreviousAllView as Outline
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42