Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > Yard-Man Snow Wolf Twin Thrust 8HP 28" with 5 speeds snowblower ??

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
TheKneebiter

Yard-Man Snow Wolf Twin Thrust 8HP 28" with 5 speeds snowblower ??
Original Message   Feb 12, 2005 3:44 pm
anyone know anything about these old snowblowers ? Yard-Man Snow Wolf Twin Thrust 8HP 28" with 5 speeds color orange. There is one for sale local that i saw online. the owner says he smelled burnt rubber then the auger stopped spinning. I was going to take a look at it and maybe purchase it but cant seem to find any info online. i was told it is older. any input ??
This message was modified Feb 12, 2005 by TheKneebiter

Replies: 1 - 14 of 14View as Outline
Marshall

As Long As There Are Tests, There Will Be Prayer In Public Schools. ;- )

Re: Yard-Man Snow Wolf Twin Thrust 8HP 28" with 5 speeds snowblower ??
Reply #1   Feb 12, 2005 4:07 pm
Knee, I didn't find anything either except for a scraper bar for one. If I see anything I'll pass it on.
TheKneebiter

Reply #2   Feb 12, 2005 4:11 pm
i found that also. just want to see if anyone knows if these where good machines or the stay away kind with known problems.

ChrisS

Appreciate what you have already been blessed with.

Reply #3   Feb 12, 2005 5:02 pm
Knee the older the machine is the better the quality will be.  I think is is worth a look sure.  What is he asking?

I find some great deals now on snowblowers in the paper.

C

Honda 928TA, Ariens 924 STE, Toro single stage S-620, 95 Jeep Wrangler with a 6 foot Fisher Plow, many shovels, one 14 year old boy.  Craftsman 01 1000 LTX pimp Gold LT 20hp Briggs OHV V-twin.  Tough as it is ugly.
Richie

Bring On The White Stuff

Reply #4   Feb 12, 2005 5:28 pm
Knee,

I wouldn't pass it up if he had it for the right price.  Frankly, what else could cause a burnt rubber smell except for one of the drive belts.  Maybe one of the pulleys has gone bad and is ready to seize, or perhaps even a piece of debris is rubbing against a belt that is stuck under the shroud.  Just make sure parts are still avaiable for it, assuming you'll need any to get it going.  Also, if possible, try not to diagnose it in front of the person, assuming you find something minor, that is.  Remember, he thinks something may be wrong with it, obviously the reason he is selling it.  An 8 HP engine with the old style adjustable carburetor is all the power you'll need.  

I forgot, it could also be a friction disc.  If it runs, put it in gear and try to hold the machine back.

This message was modified Feb 12, 2005 by Richie

Richie
snowshoveler

tides in dirts out surfs up

Reply #5   Feb 12, 2005 5:40 pm
any chance you could post model numbers of chassis and engine ...

i would really like a pic but thats pushing it .

i can tell you lotsa stuff with numbers.

later chris

craftsman 10/28 snowblower with tracks   husky 372xpg chainsaw   sachs dolmar bc212 bushsaw   mondo trimmer   monster tractor with trailer    cheep wheelbarro and couple shovels and a partridge in a pear tree 
TheKneebiter

Reply #6   Feb 12, 2005 8:29 pm
I have not even seen the machine myself yet. the model number is 31380c and he told me the manual has a gofer looking cartoon on it. he wants $100.00 for it. im going to try and get there sometime later tonight and get a look. he is aprox a 40 min drive from me so i wanted to get some advice here before making the drive.   snowshoveler wrote:
any chance you could post model numbers of chassis and engine ...

i would really like a pic but thats pushing it .

i can tell you lotsa stuff with numbers.

later chris

TheKneebiter

Reply #7   Feb 12, 2005 9:12 pm
just found the manual online for download. the unit looks like it has dual augers one on top of the other. never seen this before. any thoughts ?  here is the link for the manual.    http://manuals.mtdproducts.com/mtd/manuals/770-5452A.PDF

Ben07

The more you know about something, the more you find there is to know.

Reply #8   Feb 12, 2005 9:58 pm
Yes I have seen the double auger before will try and get u a pic or something later as have to run now.  Only reason I am saying this now before I research is the ones I have seen, Only pictures of,  The top auger was much littler than the bottom one. and they protruded well out of the chute. It sort of looked like it ccould be useless cept in high snow.  The pic in the manual almost looks like a 50 50 split on the two augers. so looks like they both got to work,  the other ones I saw looked like you could eliminate the top  if you had to, or they didn have to work and the machine would still work just like the current designs.  The ones I saw I think  were all like 1960's or older, I figured it was a temporary fad icing type thing on the cake. or maybe it was a good thing, just too costly  (They only seemed to be on what I woud have thought were high end quality machines in their day.   Dangerous though, watch your coat tails and fingers.

Where I think I saw a few  was on the Gilson's antique SB site.

Ben

This message was modified Feb 12, 2005 by Ben07

Ariens 8524LE, Toro CCR2000, Jacobsen S-B S-blowers, Generac 10hp Gen-convt. to N.G., 5 L-boys(D's F's &Dura( 74,77,80,88,00), Antiq. 1960 AYP 20 in. mag w 3.5 Tech mower. Ryan/Ryobi gas Trim. AYP 205 gas blwr. Mac c-saw,Toro E-blwr, 2 Weed-E e. stg. trims. outboards, boats, util trail, 2 Jeeps 
Ben07

Reply #9   Feb 12, 2005 10:25 pm
Page 24 of that manual shows an old fashion belt pulley twist (twice)  . good place to look for that burnt rubber

Ariens 8524LE, Toro CCR2000, Jacobsen S-B S-blowers, Generac 10hp Gen-convt. to N.G., 5 L-boys(D's F's &Dura( 74,77,80,88,00), Antiq. 1960 AYP 20 in. mag w 3.5 Tech mower. Ryan/Ryobi gas Trim. AYP 205 gas blwr. Mac c-saw,Toro E-blwr, 2 Weed-E e. stg. trims. outboards, boats, util trail, 2 Jeeps 
Majorxlr8n

Reply #10   Feb 13, 2005 1:24 am
If this machine uses idler pulleys, one could have "gone south" which would cause a burnt belt. Its an easy part to find & also an easy repair. Hammer him Marty's "mask & gun" style & offer him FYE 'OLLAZ for it...

Marty

Ben07

Reply #11   Feb 13, 2005 10:20 am
http://home.gwi.net/~spectrum/snowhistory.html#Showcase

There a couple dual augers in here.

Check out that hughe 1958 Rolba at the end, 35hp 2000 pound walk behind.   Think they may hav said it has a volkswagon engine.  put it in a vw and they call it a  "Bug"   Put it on that beast and it looks like the snowblower that ate Siberia.  

Ben07

This message was modified Feb 13, 2005 by Ben07

solara

Reply #12   Feb 15, 2005 3:22 pm
OK.  Did u see it? Buy it?

2004-2005 Ariens 11528LE
Jacobsen snow-burst
TheKneebiter

Reply #13   Feb 15, 2005 6:35 pm
I went and took a look. It looked very weathered so I passed. Thanks for the help.    solara wrote:
OK.  Did u see it? Buy it?

Ben07

Reply #14   Feb 15, 2005 6:45 pm
TheKneebiter wrote:

I went and took a look. It looked very weathered so I passed. Thanks for the help.    solara wrote:

AH Knee re-think a lil LOL  back-up, nostalgia,  a collectors item that can actually do somework..

Example my kid wants me to build another car etc,  I told him no tired of that too much room to store..  told him to get good grades in school get a good job and buy his own some day already built.  He just turned 16 today, got his learners,

What I didn't tell him yet is I would consider doing a vintage truck cause on thoes dozen or so days a year i might use it,  I can at least haul something with it. 

Same with that old SB  can do some work every once in awhile, (just run it every say three years or when need a back-up once complete) (then shop for a better used one and sell/push this one along maybe) Not much breaks or really deteriorates once you get them into some kind of shape and don't use them cept to start them, to  blow the dust off keep seals soft )

Low ball the price  and get to it someother time

Ben07 

so how much for the 724  J/K

This message was modified Feb 15, 2005 by Ben07

Replies: 1 - 14 of 14View as Outline
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42