Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > Ariens 8524 Snowblower - tons of power, but very slow. Suggestions to speed it up?

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
nagelxj

Ariens 8524 Snowblower - tons of power, but very slow. Suggestions to speed it up?
Original Message   Nov 17, 2015 12:49 am
I have an Ariens 8524 snowblower with a Tecumseh engine. It starts and runs great. Tons of power and can pull your arms off (no slipping). The problem is, it’s slow. At forward speed 6, it’s about a third slower than my old Ariens 5hp (walking/drive speed). In deep snow its fine, but anything less than 8” its painfully slow. I already check the speed lever adjustment and it is maxed at the 6 setting, I even pulled the lower cover and the friction wheel is as far out on the disk as it can go. I bought it used a few years ago and it has always been this way. I’m considering trading it in for something faster. Is it worth buying a tach and checking the RPM? It seems like it’s revving plenty high. Any suggestions to speed it up? Mark
Replies: 1 - 4 of 4View as Outline
RIT333

Re: Ariens 8524 Snowblower - tons of power, but very slow. Suggestions to speed it up?
Reply #1   Nov 17, 2015 9:39 am
A bigger tire/wheel combination will increase the speed but also change the tilt of the machine - but probably not enough to have the tilt make any operation change.
Moderator Denis

Re: Ariens 8524 Snowblower - tons of power, but very slow. Suggestions to speed it up?
Reply #2   Nov 17, 2015 3:48 pm
In my book,  they changed the engine and they forgot to put on the old engine pulley!

nagelxj

Reply #3   Nov 22, 2015 10:57 pm
I thought of the wheel/tire change, but they are already 15" and I haven't seen any larger.
nagelxj

Reply #4   Nov 22, 2015 11:01 pm
Looks like the 8.5hp engine on this revs at 3600 rpm +-150 and the 8HP, which appears to be identical, is setup to rev at 3200 RPM. So swapping pulleys, might work. I'll look into that.
Replies: 1 - 4 of 4View as Outline
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42