Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > Talk Me into choosing Red over Orange

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
mobiledynamics

Talk Me into choosing Red over Orange
Original Message   Sep 7, 2015 4:21 pm
I've had a 928. Currently have 2 621. For all intents and purposes, I will most likely use the 621 as the main workhorse even with a 2 stager in the mix. I'm looking for a 2 stage primarily for EOD. I live on the right side of the street, plows only plow to the right. Slightly irritating would be a good word. I LOVE the Hydro Tranny and the new Auto Turn looks like real winners... I would prefer a 24" bucket. Horses for courses, or apples-2-oranges, or whoever the saying goes, if I'm strictly looking for a EOD monster, I think the 724 may not be as big of a beast in power if I'm looking at this years 24' SHO, which comes in at 370cc on the Ariens. I do think the Hydro tranny robs some power from the HS724 as well. Not sure how that equates/compares to power loss on a friction disc Let me hear it...
Replies: 1 - 10 of 10View as Outline
Snowjoe

Re: Talk Me into choosing Red over Orange
Reply #1   Sep 9, 2015 2:46 am
Check out the orange in Husqvarna. I just bought a S 327 Track with a 369cc and 17 ft-lbs of torque. I guess it's 11.5 hp. I have heard bad things about auto turn blowers. They dart off when you dont want them to when hitting uneven terrain and snowbanks. That's what others have told me. Best of luck.
This message was modified Sep 9, 2015 by Snowjoe
mobiledynamics

Reply #2   Sep 9, 2015 8:37 am
I have heard Huskys are not even worth looking ....and one should look at Toro over a Husky. The Auto Turns on the Honda's are a different implementation. You need to *use the lever* to engage it. On the Ariens, from what I've read, they are now on Auto Turn design 2, but mainly proper air pressure on both sides, skid adjustment & bucket/tractor alignment makes all the difference on whether Auto Turn behaves as designed or not. But yes, I've read too many reviews on it fishtailing, don't come too close to vehicles cause you don't know what the snowblower will do, etc
aa335

Reply #3   Sep 9, 2015 5:09 pm
Not sure which 928 you currently have, tracked or wheels, but I would go for the new Honda HSS928 tracked model.  The trigger steering with tracks is just the perfect combination with enough power.

On the other hand, if you're just after the biggest grunt and the baddass snowblower on the block, go for the Ariens.  :)  .  I rather have the finesse.
mobiledynamics

Reply #4   Sep 9, 2015 6:16 pm
Big Red has alot going for it. Joystick, Easier Hydro disengagement when moving, Hydro Transmission, Leverd Turn, Gas Strut Bucket Adjustments.....all things I think are pretty damm nice in 1 complete package. My issue is EOD at the end of the day, and if I'm just comparing 24" buckets, the SHO has almost twice the CC rated engine on it. Granted, how that translates into real world, drivetrain differences, I don't know unless I had both to test in real snow conditions......but I would think the 369CC will break up EOD much more than Big Red
aa335

Reply #5   Sep 10, 2015 1:25 pm
The new Honda 2 stage now come with larger impellers to process more snow.  And of course, all the new gadgetry that comes with the high price tag.  Ariens have the large impellers, huge engines, thick steel, tough look.  Definitely appeals to American preferences.  Looks like the only happy solution is to get both! 

It's like having both a GT car and a muscle car.  Someday, you feel like carving the mountain sides with modern high technology precision control and sophistication.  Other days, you feel like a hooligan laying down rubber and smoke. 

I'm if going to get an Ariens, it will be the 28" model with a 420cc engine.  Might as well go all out if ripping arse is what I'm after.  But I haven't.  After I've gotten used to the power, what else does it have that excites me?  Maybe hydro, trigger steering, LED lights, onboard battery start, hydraulic assist for bucket lift.  Oh wait, that's a Honda. 

Don't forget to check out the Husqvarna big block models with hydro transmission.   I think it also comes with the same sized engine as the Ariens.  It's still Orange, a lighter Orange of a European flavor.
This message was modified Sep 10, 2015 by aa335
mobiledynamics

Reply #6   Sep 10, 2015 7:43 pm
I don't think even Husky is even a contender. I briefly looked at the Huskys due to Hydro and Power. But almost everyone seems to say they are not in the same league as HAT - Hon, Are, Tor BTW, any updates on SS. If there was a Tor 7 Series or Honda 7 Series as a giveway, would you be swaying over Toro or Honda with the current crop offerings. Rob@Honda has seemed to suggest they have made a counterbalance kit for those who have complained about the vibration, but that was the ONLY running change they have made to date
aa335

Reply #7   Sep 11, 2015 1:37 pm
Husqvarna has some higher end snowblowers that are fairly competitive, feature, build and power wise.  However, their dealer network and product availability are abysmal.  Sales and marketing efforts could be greatly improved upon.  They don't get good word of mouth because there aren't products or dealers that have them.  The big box store models are price point and does not reflect the product quality very well.

On to the SS, if I was on the market for one, I would go for the Toro 721.  The Honda looks nice and expensive, but the user interface does not seems to be ground breaking, and it does lack a feel of finesse.  The chute directional lever idea is at least 20 years old, Ariens had this when they were making SS.  The only thing the Honda has over the Toro is the remote deflector.  I seen how the Honda handle snow, it's no slouch, but it is not class leading. The new HS720 is a welcome refresh, but I would say it is not ground breaking and risk taking.  But we can appreciate that Honda is taking a step forward from a long slumber.

If you are not itching to get a newer and more powerful SS, I would wait for the next Toro 721.  It would probably have remote chute direction and deflector from their 2 stage machines (QuickStick)  The Toro SS just have the best balance over the wheels that makes it more maneuverable enjoyable to use.  Also, the current Quick Chute is just superior to every other SS implementation, in my opinion.   Toro just seems to know that people want comfort and convenience and focus on making their SS even better.  It is more expensive than other brands, but I think the product and dealer support can justify it.  Also, I think Toro overall is the most innovative company compared to the pack.
This message was modified Sep 11, 2015 by aa335
Snowjoe

Reply #8   Sep 12, 2015 11:03 pm
aa335 do you mean product availability on the Husqvarna's to be on the snowblowers themselves or the parts? I did check out the Honda 928 but it is more $ but still a nice machine. Also I noticed toro's don't have hydro trannys. Huskys have a 5 year warrenty too. Best.
aa335

Reply #9   Sep 13, 2015 12:17 pm
I'm speaking specifically at my region, dealers that carries Husqvarna higher end models are far and few in between.  The big box stores carries mostly the lower end models.  They're ok, not bad.  I haven't seen at least one hydrostatic drive models.  Small dealers aren't likely to carry the higher price tag models, but if you want one, they can order it.  That's pretty much any small dealers.  I can' speaks to parts availability.  Husqvarna is a big company, but it doesn't have much market share in my region.  This is a Toro / Ariens market.
Paul7

Reply #10   Sep 28, 2015 11:54 am
Just focusing on the EOD snows...okay, the best EOD machine I ever used was an old Toro 8hp powershift. It was engineered to shift the weight of the blower forward so it plowed through EOD stuff without riding up. All you had to do was throw a lever. BTW...it's red.
Replies: 1 - 10 of 10View as Outline
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42