Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > Toro 421QE can start with Electric starter but not with Pull Cord

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
cb750

Toro 421QE can start with Electric starter but not with Pull Cord
Original Message   Aug 6, 2015 3:45 pm
I have a toro 421QE snowblower. I started it initially with the pull cord to run the engine dry. But when I tried to do it again, the pull cord was very tight, then get stuck, and the handle broke. I was able to pull it all the way out slowly (it was tight still) to ensure it was not tangled; and let it back in. I am unable to use to pull cord to start the engine now, since it would get stuck about mid-way. It starts easily with the electric starter. Any suggestions, thanks
Replies: 1 - 4 of 4View as Outline
RIT333

Re: Toro 421QE can start with Electric starter but not with Pull Cord
Reply #1   Aug 9, 2015 6:28 pm
There are probably 4 bolts holding the pull starter to the engine.  Remove them, and then look inside.  If you cannot figure out the problem, take a photo, and post it, and it will save a lot of guess work.
cb750

Reply #2   Aug 17, 2015 3:27 pm
Thanks, will do that and report back.
cb750

Reply #3   Aug 19, 2015 2:19 pm

I removed the pull start mechanism, there it works fine.
When I try to turn the flywheel/engine by hand, I encounter resistance intermittenly.  However, when I remove the spark plug, then I can spin the flywheel smoothly.
Below is the picture.   Appreciate any suggestions.  Thanks

Toro 421QE can start with Electric starter but not with Pull Cord
Original Message   Aug 6, 2015 3:45 pm
I have a toro 421QE snowblower. I started it initially with the pull cord to run the engine dry. But when I tried to do it again, the pull cord was very tight, then get stuck, and the handle broke. I was able to pull it all the way out slowly (it was tight still) to ensure it was not tangled; and let it back in. I am unable to use to pull cord to start the engine now, since it would get stuck about mid-way. It starts easily with the electric starter. Any suggestions, thanks
This message was modified Aug 19, 2015 by a moderator
cb750

Reply #4   Aug 20, 2015 12:27 am
I haven't figured out how to post the picture correctly. Here is a link: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0Byn2a6YXlM1wYk9mUk9Xem15UXc/view?usp=sharing
Replies: 1 - 4 of 4View as Outline
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42