Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > ariens sno-thro model 91062 - carburetor repair

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
pstaecker

ariens sno-thro model 91062 - carburetor repair
Original Message   Jan 27, 2015 4:45 pm
Inherited this machine from my father-in-law over 30 years ago, and it has been running fine - mostly.   In starting it yesterday (anticipating today's blizzard) noted the following:
  • Started on full choke, but could not back off without stalling (that's just sitting in the garage).
  • Let it warm up for 30 min - still on full choke, but try to back off, or try to engage forward motion - stall.
 I'm guessing that it's a carburetor problem, likely not helped by year-old gas in the tank (although shutoff valve closed. So I've started removing the carburetor to prepare it for a fix up.
  1. removed the manual choke assist (closes the intake throat, but is spring-loaded to release when you let go)
  2. removed the sheet metal "airbox" that surrounds the carburetor - carefully.
  3. removed the fuel line from the carb. Note: no sign of either an air filter (note - I've learned from other posts that air filters are not required for snow-thros), or a fuel line filter so far.
  4. removed the throttle linkage to free up space near the carb.I saw two 7/16 nuts attached (apparently) to studs that held the carb to the intake manifold. Removed the exhaust/muffler to get better access to the left nut, and also removed the carb bowl.
  5. carefully started backing out the nuts. And here's where I ran into trouble. Both nuts appeared to be firmly attached to their studs. But as I attempted to back them out, I did not see the nut/stud assembly moving away from the carburetor mounting flange. I see no hint of a nut on the manifold side of the carburetor flange.
Thanks. We are about up to 2ft of snow so far.
This message was modified Jan 28, 2015 by pstaecker
Replies: 16 - 16 of 16Next page of topicsPreviousAllView as Outline
pstaecker

Re: ariens sno-thro model 91062 - carburetor repair
Reply #16   Jul 26, 2015 10:21 pm
Fast forward to July, and warmer weather. Ariens 910962: feet still up in the air. Enter Steve, a smart neighbor, with advice and encouragement. By this time I had bought a TEC carburetor 631440, which was not an identical replacement for mine, but had new jets and needles for spare parts. Tried the 631440 out of the box, and the machine runs. Back to the OEM carb – main difference was that the (adjustable) idle jet was fully closed (and was bound up), so re-cleaned, and backed it out to the 1 turn suggested by sixtyfiveford. That did it – the Ariens roared to life – no smoke, nice even slow idle, and choke nearly off.

The OEM gas tank is looking a bit rusty on the inside, so will be looking for a plastic replacement before the snow falls.

Thanks all for your help.
This message was modified Jul 26, 2015 by pstaecker
Replies: 16 - 16 of 16Next page of topicsPreviousAllView as Outline
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42