Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > gas or electric or cordless string trimmer

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
Partsman41953

gas or electric or cordless string trimmer
Original Message   Apr 22, 2015 7:27 am
Hello, I am looking for a new string trimmer with edger attachment and was wondering which was to go. Right now I have a Worx cordless trimmer which is a little awkward to use but gets the job done. I am not really a fan of the charging system on this trimmer as all you go by is the green or red light to see if the battery is charging and having to make sure the battery is not overcharged as it can kill the battery as the charger does not shut off. Anyhow, I do not have a lot of yard to trim which is why I went with a cordless but I am looking for suggestions in an upgrade as I need an edger. The Worx edger part on the trimmer I have is garbage. I really do not want to spend a lot of money now but I know that you get what you pay for. I was looking at some refurbished gas units but not owning a gas trimmer before I am not sure how well they work and how decent a refurbished unit is. I see them pretty inexpensive on EBAY and was just wondering if they are going to be another headache or something decent. I was also looking at the Black and Decker electric edger LE750, which is electric, but I am really not a fan of having to haul an electric cord out in order to edge but on the other hand I will only be using it twice a month maybe, which is an option. I would appreciate any suggestions you could give me. Thanks
Replies: 1 - 4 of 4View as Outline
RIT333

Re: gas or electric or cordless string trimmer
Reply #1   Apr 22, 2015 9:26 am
I like the gas 2-cycle or 4-cycle trimmers with the different attachments that snap in.  The connection system seems to be standardized within the industry, and the power heads run from high quality/high price (Stihl) to low quality/low price (Ryobi).  It depends on how much you plan to use it, and how deep your pockets are.  I have bought several from Craigslist, and like the challenge of fixing them.  You can get refurbs from VMInnovations.com and then guarantee their products.  I definitely would stay away from battery operated trimmers, but that may be just me.
55utilitysedan

Reply #2   Apr 22, 2015 9:38 am
I'm with RIT333, but there is a learning curve and maintenance with gas powered units. I also am a big fan of curbside and freebees..............
johnlake

Reply #3   Oct 3, 2017 4:41 am
if don't like electric one, I think the gas string trimmer will be the best option for you
This message was modified Oct 3, 2017 by johnlake
eugenevdw

Reply #4   Nov 27, 2017 8:13 am
I'm not sure which Worx cordless trimmer model you're using but the Worx 32V GT2.0 is pretty good if you're looking for a trimmer / edger / mini mower combo. The Ryobi RY40210 is also a pretty decent cordless weed eater / edger.
This message was modified Nov 27, 2017 by a moderator
Replies: 1 - 4 of 4View as Outline
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42