Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > Toro Powershift 828 goes in reverse only

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
hobie18

Toro Powershift 828 goes in reverse only
Original Message   Feb 20, 2015 8:54 pm
I have a Toro Powershift 828 that got stuck in reverse only. I took the transmission out and clean it out and put new low temperature grease in it. Everything looked fine and all gears moved as they should in forward and reverse. I put it back together and it worked fine. The next time out it went in forward fine for a short time and then when I shifted into reverse and then back to forward, it was still in reverse even though the shift lever was in forward. Any ideas?
Replies: 1 - 1 of 1View as Outline
trouts2

Re: Toro Powershift 828 goes in reverse only
Reply #1   Feb 21, 2015 7:16 am
   Could be the control box (under the dash) or linkage adjustment/operation (at the dash, link rods and on top of the transmission). 

Did you go through all the adjustments...check the control box on the dash, verify the links work to the transmission (especially on top of the transmission) and
the operation of the transmission?

Below is a link to a series of pictures of the control box internals:
http://www.toro.com/en-us/parts/Pages/PartsDetails.aspx?mybeid=3157&serialNumber=9000001&modelNumber=38573&searchTerm=9lzIRv+p5zdBreKrSjntrqk1euAjhzMXD7k337xcR1zbDBmmaPLuLD5dPkjGpBZM&defaultTab=parts

Below is a link to a power shifter service manual. 
http://www.scribd.com/doc/26159544/Tosnowps-1-Copy  

There is a trouble shooting section on lack of reverse, how to set the traction chain tension, and big sections on the dash control box, adjustments, linkage interaction with the transmission and transmission internals.

From page 49 of the service manual:
Reverse Cable Adjustment: Adjust the reverse
cable so that there is 1.5 mm (1/16") side play in
the reverse bellcrank as shown in Figure 43. If the
cable is too loose,loss of reverse will result.If the
cable is too tight, loss of the forward gears will
occur.

This message was modified Feb 21, 2015 by trouts2
Replies: 1 - 1 of 1View as Outline
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42