Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > need help 828 Toro power shift

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
neil321

need help 828 Toro power shift
Original Message   Feb 17, 2015 7:05 pm
I bought it used and it was working great until the reverse just stopped working! I took all the covers off and I can't see anything wrong ,all other gears and everything working fine just not reverse
Replies: 1 - 2 of 2View as Outline
solara

Re: need help 828 Toro power shift
Reply #1   Feb 18, 2015 5:53 pm
Try adjusting the friction disk. also make sure its clean . Get a copy of the manual and follow the adjustment procedure. here is a link for a manual: http://www.sbc.se/Templates/Public/Pages/TinyMCEImageLoader.aspx?DocumentId=144159
This message was modified Feb 18, 2015 by solara

2004-2005 Ariens 11528LE
Jacobsen snow-burst
trouts2

Re: need help 828 Toro power shift
Reply #2   Feb 19, 2015 1:25 pm
  The Power Shifter does not have a friction disk.   It's got a gear box transmission.
Loss of forward or reverse is usually a transmission problem or linkage problem.

You can go through the shift linkage and see if it's the problem. 

The parts and probably a service manual are available on the net at the Toro site.   Get the model number
of the back of the tractor section of your machine and feed it to the Toro site.  

If it's the gearbox then I would say you're hosed.  The gearbox is not so easy to remove and working on it
its own problem.  There are others on the forum who sharply disagree with me about repairing the gearbox i.e.
removing it (I think very time conuming) and repairing it (also not worth the effort). 
   If you're an ok mechanic and have the time then flip up the machine on it's bucket and take a look at what is
involved in removing the transmission. 

Just say it's the transmission.  A replacement is 6-800 and used on EBay 500.  If you open the gearbox for
repair some models don't list the internal parts and some do.  You'll have to check the parts manual to see if
you can get internal parts for your model. 
    As a note for the models that list the gearbox as an assembly only (no internal parts breakdown) you may find
that the gearbox is actually the same as the models that list internal parts so be able to get parts.  You'd have to
check for a cross between models.
Replies: 1 - 2 of 2View as Outline
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42