Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > Ariens drive does not engage

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
bozman

Ariens drive does not engage
Original Message   Feb 7, 2015 7:40 am
Ariens 1336 Model: 924107 I believe that my friction plate is adjusted correctly as when it work it works well in all forward and reverse gears. Problem is that after I initially start the machine I can not engage any gears. It seems as if the activating shaft is not moving the drive plate into contact w/ the friction wheel. After the initial startup and I'm guessing things warm up the drive plate will move to engage w/ the friction wheel. I'm not clear on what i should look at next. Should I clean and lube something? Help?
Replies: 1 - 5 of 5View as Outline
bozman

Re: Ariens drive does not engage
Reply #1   Feb 7, 2015 8:13 am
I did some more searching here on abbysguide and came across this thread [1] which describes my problem but in reverse. Drive does not disengage mine does not engage. Solution there was to 'oil' the shaft the drive plate slides on. What is that shaft called? I'm wondering what is the proper oil to lube that with? Should I clean it 1st? With what should I clean it w/ ? Thanks. [1] http://www.abbysguide.com/ope/discussions/66559-0-1.html
trouts2

Reply #2   Feb 7, 2015 11:41 am
  You could use any light oil.

If the drive plate is stuck in the disengaged position you should be able to push the machine with the drive clutch engaged or
disengaged.  If the plate moves (engaged) then you could not push the machine while in gear with the clutch engaged.

Tip the machine on it's bucket and see if you can spin the friction drive disk with the clutch disengaged.  It should move
fairly easily.  Clamp the clutch lever down then try to move it and it should be too difficult to move. 

You're probably right about the plate being stuck, so light oil and some taps to free it.  It's not an uncommon problem.

niper99

Reply #3   Feb 7, 2015 8:23 pm
bozman wrote:
Ariens 1336 Model: 924107 I believe that my friction plate is adjusted correctly as when it work it works well in all forward and reverse gears. Problem is that after I initially start the machine I can not engage any gears. It seems as if the activating shaft is not moving the drive plate into contact w/ the friction wheel. After the initial startup and I'm guessing things warm up the drive plate will move to engage w/ the friction wheel. I'm not clear on what i should look at next. Should I clean and lube something? Help?

my guess is adjustment issue.. inspecting the friction disk rubber for damage or grease/water on it wouldn't hurt... is there any play in the engage rod? if so tighten it up so theres no slope..
bozman

Reply #4   Feb 8, 2015 7:20 am
I cracked open the machine to get a better look at that drive plate and free it up but... After a closer look the right side wheel bearing was gone and the right side lower handle bar was cracked. Lots of snow this season has killed my 1336. I've owned it for 15 years and had bought it used. I think it is a '95. So I bought a new rig. Hydro 36. Snowing out now and will be all weekend so I was either going to hire a plow or shovel. NOT! I'll fix the old 1 up this summer and sell it. After the fix up it will still have lots of life. Thanks for the reply guys.
bozman

Reply #5   Feb 9, 2015 7:53 am
FYI Hydro 36 has been returned. After 1/2 hour of work the drive belt dropped and trashed the fan on the hydro trans. I brought it back up to the shop for repair. The dealer was not impressed w/ Ariens quality these days. Said he has seen lots of issues due to factory mess ups. Mine was a missing bolt on a major bracket supporting the hydro. He was very cooperative an let me swap out for a new Honda 1332 w/ tracks. I am going to log some time on that today as it is still snowing. Really appreciative of the dealer!
Replies: 1 - 5 of 5View as Outline
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42