Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > Craftsman Snow Blower 536.887990, made 11/2002, how to adjust skids and scraper???

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
JasonnB

Craftsman Snow Blower 536.887990, made 11/2002, how to adjust skids and scraper???
Original Message   Jan 28, 2015 5:57 pm
Been using this for 8 years and now I'm hitting the expansion joints on my driveway real hard all of a sudden. I think the side skids wore down and I'm not sure how to adjust the side skids and the rear scraper plate behind the front blades. Any tips on this? Just want some kind of guide to go by?
Replies: 1 - 2 of 2View as Outline
jrtrebor

Re: Craftsman Snow Blower 536.887990, made 11/2002, how to adjust skids and scraper???
Reply #1   Jan 28, 2015 10:56 pm
Find a flat area to park the blower.
Lift up the blower housing and place two pennies under the scraper.
One on each side.
Loosen the nuts holding the side skids to the blower housing.
Push the skids down so that they are in contact with the ground.
Hold them in that position and tighten the nuts.
Or you can forget about the pennies and let the scraper run right along the ground.
If you don't a real flat place to park the blower.
You can also just park it on a piece of 3/4" playwood.
Just make sure that the entire blower is on the plywood not just the blower housing.
hirschallan

If it aint broke don't fix it !!

Re: Craftsman Snow Blower 536.887990, made 11/2002, how to adjust skids and scraper???
Reply #2   Jan 29, 2015 1:34 am
jrtrebor wrote:
Find a flat area to park the blower.
Lift up the blower housing and place two pennies under the scraper.
One on each side.
Loosen the nuts holding the side skids to the blower housing.
Push the skids down so that they are in contact with the ground.
Hold them in that position and tighten the nuts.
Or you can forget about the pennies and let the scraper run right along the ground.
If you don't a real flat place to park the blower.
You can also just park it on a piece of 3/4" playwood.
Just make sure that the entire blower is on the plywood not just the blower housing.

Just my 2 cents here. Before attempting to adjust the skid shoes, I find it very important to get the tires inflated to where the psi on tire states it should be. Then I use paint stirrs, 2 of them as the gap for the scraper bar, then drop the skids to the floor and snug the bolts. Make sure what ever you use as a surface for this adjustment is close to flat, otherwise your wasting your time . Very important to check tire pressure at the beginning of the season because they always lose a good amount of air over the long storage time. If you use the blower with under inflated tires it puts alot of pressure on the back edges of the skid shoes and they wear at an angle. Ask me how I know.
This message was modified Jan 29, 2015 by hirschallan

Replies: 1 - 2 of 2View as Outline
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42