Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > snow blower project

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
sibbs

snow blower project
Original Message   Nov 13, 2014 12:00 pm
Hello, new to this site. I'm starting on a garage project to convert my tracked atv into a snow blowing machine. I picked up a Bolens single stage 38" snow blower off of Craig's list. It has a horizontal shaft drive coming off of it which turns a gear/chain mechanism on the augers, I assume the Bolens lawn tractor had a front pto this connected to. I think the speed of that pto shaft he thought was 2000 rpms. My plan, weld up a frame, or beef up the one on the blower to mount a horizontal shaft small engine behind the blower and mount that onto the tracked atv. Then a boom of some sort to raise and lower with the winch. I may need to add some weight support wheels, not sure on that, and I may want to wing it out 6-8" on each side to get beyond the tracks. I can get a 13 hp engine from harbor freight, will that be enough? For connecting someone suggested a direct connection through a lovejoy connector, since the drive shaft on the blower is a 3/4" square tube and not a "key" I'll have to fabricate something. Pros-cons with this setup, one I can think of is when the engine is on, this thing is spinning, fast. No clutch or brake to it, but it's simple. Anyone have similar contraptions? How much hp did you find you need? For a single stage blower like that, does the original factory rpms from the bolens the best speed for it to perform the best, or does it work better, throw farther, if it's spinning faster? Or is it optimal for the bearings on the auger/chain, and spinning faster puts those in jeopardy. thanks for your comments
Replies: 10 - 10 of 10Next page of topicsPreviousAllView as Outline
sibbs

Re: snow blower project
Reply #10   Jan 20, 2015 10:31 pm
Just thought I'd give an update as I had some time to finally build this. First thing I changed my design, rather than the engine chain dropping down to a shaft and then a lovejoy coupler to connect to the snowblower pto shaft. Instead I just cut out a large enough slat out of the snow blower unit to drop the chain to a 36 tooth gear that I put directly on the snowblower shaft. This allowed me to shorten the unit as a whole and position the 12 tooth clutch directly above the gear on the snowblower shaft. For anyone wondering about the 13 hp engine from harbor freight, seems to have plenty of power but I've only been able to test it on about 6" of fluffy snow, we haven't had a wet heavy snow yet. The auger spins quite fast and the snow was throwing a good 30 feet at 3/4 throttle. This was a fun project and good excuse to get a plasma cutter. I'll continue to make modifications, one thing I know I'll need is the ability to turn the chute from my atv seat.
Replies: 10 - 10 of 10Next page of topicsPreviousAllView as Outline
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42