Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > Honda GX390

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
elde

Honda GX390
Original Message   Dec 17, 2014 6:23 pm
I am working on a Honda GX390. This engine only runs if it's half choked. I can start it with full choke then move the choke to half and it will stay running. It starts missing if I open the choke all the way. It will die if you try to rev it up and then open the choke. It will rev with the choke on though. We cleaned out the fuel tank and put on a new carb with all new gaskets including the one between the insulator and the engine. We have tried running without the gas cap and it makes no difference. We also adjusted the valves and gave it an oil change. I have to be missing something somewhere. Any help would be appreciated on this one because I'm lost. Thanks ELDE
Replies: 1 - 4 of 4View as Outline
Shryp

Re: Honda GX390
Reply #1   Dec 17, 2014 8:46 pm
Are you sure you have the right carb? Sounds to me like it is running lean.
jrtrebor

Reply #2   Dec 17, 2014 9:45 pm
It's definitely starving for fuel.
When you cleaned the tank did you pull the filter out of the bottom and clean it?
You might try flowing the fuel line from the tank to the carb and make sure that
it doesn't have any areas that look like it might be a little crushed.
When you say new carb. do you mean brand new or new to you?

hirschallan

If it aint broke don't fix it !!

Reply #3   Dec 18, 2014 2:04 am
Or, something obstructing the float so your not getting enough gas through the inlet.

robertcoats

Reply #4   Dec 18, 2014 10:45 am
An engine that needs partial choke to run smoothly means it is running lean (too little fuel, or too much air, or both). Most often, it is restricted fuel flow due to slime/gunk in the main jet / nozzle area, and this can happen with fuel that is more than 30 days old.

Was the new carburetor a genuine Honda carb, or aftermarket?

There are a number of gaskets, insulators, etc. when fitting a Honda carburetor, including one with a tiny vent line. They can easily be installed backwards or upside down. Double check these, as well as the correct holes for the governor rod and throttle return spring.

Be sure the choke is operating properly. Here's an image from the GX390 shop manual to help:

- - -
Robert@Honda
Caveat: I work for Honda, but the preceding was my opinion alone.
Replies: 1 - 4 of 4View as Outline
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42