Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > Best used snowblowers - I want your comments!

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
usmcskeeter

Best used snowblowers - I want your comments!
Original Message   Oct 30, 2014 2:31 pm

Having spent  over a decade out in California, I decided to move back to Minnesota, just in time for snow!  Needless to say, snow will come soon and I need to be prepared - by which I need a snowblower.  Since I haven't blown snow since 2001, I'm not sure what a good snowblower is.  My previous experience was with a Toro PowerShift when it first came out and an Ariens 2-stage mounted on a GT-20.  From what I can tell, Toro doesn't make the PowerShift any more, so I wonder if it got too costly to manufacture or if there were problems?

So, I'm looking for something used - I hate paying sticker price, but if the community feels that a new machine is by far the best option, then I will consider it.  But I also know that some older machines can move snow and are built better than moderen units.  Sometimes this is an advantage to buying old, other times it is a disadvantage.  What are some of your guys' thoughts on a good "used" units?  I've only got a driveway that is 20'x100' (concrete) and about 200' of sidewalk.

I also have a good mechanical background and wouldn't have a problem repairing an older machine as items break/wear, but I don't want to be broken down every time it snows.

Some of the units that are under consideration right now are as follows:

Ariens 1032 - $500

Craftsman Track Drive 826 - $400

Deere 826 - $400

Deere 828D - $725

Deere 924DE - $500

Deere 1032 - $500

Duetz Allis (Simplicity) 828 - $375

Snapper 1030 - $550

Snapper 826 - $380

Toro Power Max 726OE - $800

Toro Power Shift 824 - $300 ( A little beat up)

All units seem to be in good shape.  Some have chains, some have drift cutters, some have lights, etc.  I'm more concerned about base units as I can alway add different tires, chains, lighting, etc.

Replies: 1 - 8 of 8View as Outline
Mark78

Re: Best used snowblowers - I want your comments!
Reply #1   Oct 30, 2014 9:37 pm
I like Ariens but I am far less experienced than a lot of folks here. Good luck finding one that meets your needs
trouts2

Reply #2   Nov 2, 2014 6:39 am

The post hasn’t attracted many posts probably because in a sense it’s overly broad.

One part is the machine and price list is vague without a machine description or pictures.   For example an Ariens 1032 is a marketing designation as opposed to a factory model number.   An Ariens 1032 can refer to many machine models made over many years, roughly from the 70’s through 2000’s. 

The Craftsman track could be made by Murry or MTD and both could date from the 80’s and at least for the MTD through 2000’s.  Buying a Murry track would be a faith based purchase as getting parts for it is very difficult. 

The Snapper 1030 could be many machines that were light or heavy duty and span 30 or so years.

The Snapper 826 could be an early 80’s with an old Briggs engine or newer 90’s types with Tecumseh engines which were some of the best machines ever made. 

Any Toro is a possible good buy as off the top I can’t think any that were not good machines other than the Powershifter.   

Most people that sell them are not aware of the reason for the name, the shifting of the wheels to load the machine weight to the bucket.  It takes some snowblower savvy to set skids and scraper bar for the dual modes of the Powershifter that most people are not aware of.  They usually always use them in one mode or the other.  

When used in the “shifted” mode the machine is fairly difficult to use unless setup properly.  With the weight shifted to the bucket the skids and scraper take heavy wear.  It’s very typical to find a used machine with worn off skids, the scraper bar worn to the bolts and the bucket sides ground off a half inch.  Prolonged use in front load mode puts a great strain on the drive which in the case of the Powershifter is an enclosed drive box that is not repairable by most and uneconomical to have repaired (around $800 for the transmission without labor). 

The first thing to check on a used Powershifter are the leading edges of the rakes being scrapped to shiny silver.  They get that way when the skids are overly worn causing the bucket to ride on the rakes.

The Deere group could be scads of models made by a number of makers.  Many people like Deere and many of their models were good machines.   It’s tough to get drawings for them and their parts are pricy.  

The average snowfall Southern Minnesota are 37 to 50 inches.

7 to 8 horsepower 24 – 26 inch bucket.

Northeastern  45 to 96.

8 – 10 horse power

Northwestern 40 – 57.

7-8 horsepower

If your driveway is a straight 20 x 100 and you can toss to both sides it would not be hard to clear.  You’d have a 10 foot toss.    The hard part would be the 200 feet of sidewalk which would probably be loaded over with street snow from the plow like the end of the driveway pile. 

You can work on machines so you could pick just about any 8 to 10 horsepower 24 to 28 inch bucket for your area.   Most are very easy to work on.    Go through the machine before the season and be pretty confident you won’t have problems.  Check the engine compression.  Flip the machine on it’s bucket and go through the tractor section.  Make sure it’s tight in there and lub it all.  Check/lub the gearbox.   Kick the tires.  Work the controls, lub and adjust. 

Nice to have would be two machines.  A second being a 4.5 – 6 horsepower Toro single stage would be nice for most storms that happen during the season.     You can buzz off one to several inches of decent snow easily and quickly with a single stage and keep the wear off the dual stage.  

frogtog

Reply #3   Nov 3, 2014 6:36 am
And then theres the hydrostatic drive vs the disc drive.....
Pusting

A fool must take your pride without burying the sands of time

Reply #4   Dec 1, 2014 4:24 am
I have personally used  Toro 38381 18-Inch 15 Amp Electric 1800 Power Curve Snow Blower. this best so far known to me

Spent several years testing the market for pogo sticks in Libya. Set new standards for buying and selling cod in Miami, FL.
Staber

Reply #5   Dec 1, 2014 11:39 am
I see that you do not have the Honda 24" track drive model or any Honda track drive listed.  I am dumping my Honda with track drive because the claim that it has more traction than a chain wheeled model has not been my experience, nor my wife's.  

Although more primitive in feel, my old Ariens that I gave to my son to buy this Honda grips and manuevers far better that this Honda track drive.  Subsequently, I am selling it to buy a hardly ever used large Ariens 30" ($500 with less than 15 hours on it) with chained wheels. 

I am tired of fighting the Honda to get traction which isn't there!.  The tracks slip and I even asked if Honda makes a metal grip kit to put on the ribs (pinched on or pop riveted in some way like a U channel.  No, they do not.  I was going to try to retro myself then cames across this sweet Ariens deal from a colleague.  The Honda does throw snow far and can easily take care of the heaviest wet snow, even slush, but then again, so can the Ariens.

Sometimes paying more IS NOT better.  My old Ariens, now in my son's hands, is over 15 years old and starts first time, everytime!

You all can do what you want, however, I am going in the old Ariens direction.  Does anyone else have this experience?  I do not see how yours could be any different.  I am not a Honda hater, I have one of their fantastic burbling (extremely low noise) inverter generators and a Honda lawnmower which we love.

Pusting

A fool must take your pride without burying the sands of time

Reply #6   Dec 8, 2014 11:34 pm
Murray 1695885 22-Inch Single Stage Thrower with 800 Snow Series 4-Cycle OHV 205cc

Spent several years testing the market for pogo sticks in Libya. Set new standards for buying and selling cod in Miami, FL.
jrtrebor

Reply #7   Dec 9, 2014 10:21 pm
Well I'll throw in my 2 cents.
Having owned, and worked on quite a few I would suggest an Ariens.
If our going to go used.  Eighties and Ninties models.  There are still many of them around and parts are easy to find.
They are built like tanks and many of the parts for different models interchange. 
The Ariens have something no one else does and that's a differential.
Which makes turinng them a breeze.  I've got a restored 1032 repowered with Honda 13hp.
Without slowing down I can turn that beast 180 degrees with one hand.
A few things to look for if you decide to go with an Ariens.
One would be the Axle Lock which you will see on the left wheel hub.
It allows you to lock out the differential and have both wheels driving equally.
Which also means you will have to drag it to turn it like other blowers.
I have vary rarely had to lock in my axles, but it's nice to know you can.
Also some models are designated "large frame" you can tell those models by the larger wheels and tires they have.
Again, nice to have.  The 1032s have the large frame.  The largest axles and differential on any models and usually wider tires.
The ST824 (large tires and axle lock) might suit your needs fairly well.
The newer (old)  models have the Ariens control panel higher up on the handle bars than the older (old) ones.

When your checking out any blower lift up on the handles and watch at the point where the axles go through the housing.
If the axle bearing are bad or worn you will see the frame / housing rise while the axle stays put when you lift the handles.
If the bearing are in really good condition the axle should move up with the housing.  It can be kind of hard to see but do it
a couple of times and you'll see what I mean.  Badly worn axle bearing can mean other parts in the drive train are also worn quite a bit.
Not a deal breaker if you can work on it yourself.  But Worn out drive gears can get a little involved and messy.
If you buy used I would figure on replacing both drive belts and maybe the Friction drive wheel.  That way your covered for the season by replacing the 3 most
likely things to give you a problem right in the middle of a snow storm.
It's just my opinion but hope it helps a little. 

This message was modified Dec 9, 2014 by jrtrebor
RIT333

Reply #8   Dec 9, 2014 11:29 pm
Dang

That was at least $0.03 !  Very good suggestions/advice. 

Great job.

Replies: 1 - 8 of 8View as Outline
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42